The Computer Games Thread

There must be more to life than football?
-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Re: The Computer Games Thread

Post by -BARON-23- » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:03 pm

Just got the new Need For Speed and Black Ops III.

Anyone played either of these yet?

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:29 pm

-BARON-23- wrote:Just got the new Need For Speed and Black Ops III.

Anyone played either of these yet?
you?

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:49 am

Only just started mate.

Must say Black Ops III is a massive improvement on Advanced Warefare (a game i hated) and has quite the story to it so far (mixes in the same sort of thing as Source Code did). The Zombies is good but hard; i don't know where to go!

Need for Speed is the best one since the PS3 was released. The only bad things i have to say it that it's very hard to drift in drifting events yet easy to drift in an actual race where the turning can be very slow. Also it's a lot harder upgrading your car's performance (it's kind of like something from Gran Turismo) but you can finally do full customization on a car (once you unlock it all).

Both games are big improvements i must say

Hudson
Regular international

Post by Hudson » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:08 pm

Just noticed I've not done one of my regular games reviews since April (Can't believe I gave Elderscrolls Online 9/10 :lol: ). Will have to look at what I've been playing and do another bulk mini-review.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:00 pm

I just wanna say, power armour in Fallout 4 is a good implementation.

Jim
Experienced international star

Post by Jim » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:18 am

mrblackbat wrote:I just wanna say, power armour in Fallout 4 is a good implementation.
Agreed, it feels suitably 'powerful' if a bit overpowered. I just feel it's a shame you get something so powerful so early and easily without really having to work for it.

The only issue I've found is with the levelling system on the armour. The game spawns different pieces at different levels and they are random. I've had trouble completing a suit of armour because I've levelled past it's appearance threshold which is a little annoying. Maybe it's because I have OCD and hate seeing half-complete frames of T-51 armour lying around.

Oh and word of advice. ALWAYS remove power cores from armour you arent wearing because enemies can steal it and you physically can't get it back. It's impossible at the moment.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:01 am

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've found the power armour system awkward. Sure, it's helpful right at the start when you have to go 3 rounds with the deathclaw. But then it ran out of juice in the middle of nowhere. I've had two more suits since, and the power feels like it runs down too quickly, and fresh cores seem hard to come by. And I've not figured out what I need to repair broken bits.

But the whole game feels like a struggle: I'm getting through the missions, but nearly every one feels like an epic battle where I exhaust most of my ammo and aid and I have to get a little devious to kill the multitude of baddies. It's good, I just keep thinking I'm going to get stuck before long.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:26 pm

Are you playing it on super difficulty or something? I've never even come close to running out of ammo; I've yet to drop below 500 rounds of fusion cells.... :?

I've got two power armour sets upgraded quite far, and currently with a couple of cores remaining. Though one thing that is daft - fast travel doesn't deplete the power armour, so if you're struggling, you can always fast travel back to a base to ditch it and finish off with normal stuff. Definitely not worth going tromping around in the wilderness with it.

Hudson
Regular international

Post by Hudson » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:25 pm

Here we are again folks, with another round-up of games I've been playing recently and how I rate them. Before I start, it's probably worth mentioning that all these games are currently going cheap in the Steam Christmas sale. So in no particular order:

Tales from the Borderlands: A 'choose your own adventure' type game set in the Borderlands universe, using the visually-pleasing cell shading art style while keeping the humour of the other Borderlands games. Choices you make in the game make a bit of a difference as to which characters are available in your team near the end, although this doesn't really make much of a difference to the ending. This game features possibly the funniest moment in a computer game I’ve ever seen - without spoiling it, it features a huge 'gun-finger' fight. 8/10

Holy Potatoes! A Weapon Shop?!: Gets the award for weirdest game. It's a strangely addictive business-management game where you play a potato who inherits a blacksmith shop and you must forge and sell weapons to heroes in order to earn the in-game currency, $tarch. As strange as it sounds, it's actually quite enjoyable and humorous (expect potato-based puns and parody's in abundance). 8/10

Infinifactory: A challenging puzzle game where you must combine blocks together using all kinds of tool-blocks like conveyors, rotators, switches and welders to form the shape required at the delivery point. The tutorials are nicely done, introducing you to some of the tool-blocks and how to use them to manipulate blocks in different ways. My main gripe with this game is the steep learning curve, that too me makes it more frustrating than fun. 7/10

The Witcher 3: This won 'Game of the Year' for a reason - it's brilliant. The game world is huge - it's supposedly 3.5x the size of Skyrim in playing size and the number of quests, side missions and random encounters is massive. I'm currently 60 hours in and have yet to finish the story (mainly thanks to trying to explore all the points of interest on the map). There are also supposedly 36 possible endings, which I can believe given that so many decisions affect what happens in the game. You can change your equipment and skill tree to suit your playing style. I would say however that you really need to have played the first 2 games in the series to properly understand the characters and their relationships to fully appreciate the game. 10/10

Transistor: A quirky sci-fi themed RPG from the makers of Bastion. A bit hard to explain this one - you basically play the part of 'Red', who along with a talking sword (known as the transistor) you have to figure out how you lost your memory and try to stop the 'corruption' which is sweeping the world . The world is designed like you are part of a computer system, with subtle hints along the way to suggest what is actually happening. You can customise your attacks by combining scripting-like 'routines' together to suit your play-style - and while this adds a nice element of flexibility you tend to stick to the same 1 or 2 abilities once you find the ones that are a bit overpowered. The biggest downside is the game is fairly short, I managed to finish it in less than 5 hours and there is no real replayability. 7/10

Borderlands The Pre-Sequel: The 3rd game of the Borderlands franchise, this game is set before the events of the first 2 games. It's very similar to the other 2 games, with the main feature being the pure number of randomly generated guns. The main new change is the addition of an 'oxygen' feature, which slowly counts down while you are in a vacuum (which is quite a lot as it's mainly based on a moon) until you either collect oxygen bottles (dropped by enemies) or enter an oxygen-field. Although it continues the Borderlands theme of being over-the-top silly, the pure lack of quest variety (fetch quests and kill quests mainly) and the almost constant respawning of generic enemies unfortunately makes the game quite boring fairly quickly. 6/10

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:30 pm

I don't know why, but I decided to buy FM2016 the other night. First one since 2010.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:21 pm

Hudson wrote: The Witcher 3: This won 'Game of the Year' for a reason - it's brilliant. The game world is huge - it's supposedly 3.5x the size of Skyrim in playing size and the number of quests, side missions and random encounters is massive. I'm currently 60 hours in and have yet to finish the story (mainly thanks to trying to explore all the points of interest on the map). There are also supposedly 36 possible endings, which I can believe given that so many decisions affect what happens in the game. You can change your equipment and skill tree to suit your playing style. I would say however that you really need to have played the first 2 games in the series to properly understand the characters and their relationships to fully appreciate the game. 10/10
I'll be interested to see what you think of it once you get to the end. I thought the game was generally very good, the story was compelling, and it was very easy to waste hours working your way through the quests and side quests (I could easily spend a session just finding people to play Gwent against).

But the climax was disappointing. I didn't feel there was much of a challenge in it, it was just a case of fighting like I'd fought for most of the game. And that was the end of the game - even though I could still roam the map, all the side quests I hadn't picked up disappeared. It's particularly odd since I had weapons and armour I'd need to level up several times to use, I don't see what the point of it was. And whilst there's different ways for the storyline to end, I don't think they have much impact on the gameplay. And I've yet to feel moved to start over again like I did with Skyrim.

Hudson
Regular international

Post by Hudson » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:15 am

I have finished it now and I got a 'good' ending, having tried to play it being 'the nice guy'. I can guess that there would be just slightly different videos and different people present at certain points depending on what you say or who you help (like being with Triss or Yennifer) but yeah, the actual ending I don't think could be that much different. I've got the DLC so the end bit wasn't really the end for me, I had a whole new quest line to do and some higher-levelled areas to missions which meant I could use my mastercraft armour. At the time I did want to go back and play it again as an asshole and with different combat style (I sued fast-attack build, want to try signs build) just to see what the difference is, but my friend gifted me Elite Dangerous over xmas so I've been playing that with him instead :lol:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:14 am

I am intrigued to see how different choices work out, I'm still waiting for my girlfriend to get on and finish it so that I can see what choosing Triss over Yennifer changes. But I think perhaps the problem for me is that I'm not drawn to playing it a different way. With Skyrim, I first played through as a mage because that's what I found best on Oblivion. But then I got into crafting armour and weapons and played for a bit as a warrior-type, before really getting into sneaking around as an assassin/thief. With Witcher, I bungled through the early battles trying different ideas until I found I was most effective using the shield sign in between short bursts with my sword. But then some battles needed specific techniques to win, I remember one ghosty thing was driving me mad until the girlfriend told me to try using the magic traps on it. I'm not sure I can be bothered developing another way to fight again.

Hudson
Regular international

Post by Hudson » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:35 am

I know exactly what you mean. For me, I enjoyed Skyrim (and played some 400+ hours of it) because of the huge amount of freedom it gave you - you could be a heavy-armour wearing mage, a stealthy rogue, a 2-handed damage dealer, sword & shield tank or a mixture of them all. I used the same combat technique as you in W3 - use shield sign and then fast attacks in between dodgy blows as it's what worked early game and you could pretty much use it against everything in the game (except those damn ghosts!). I rarely ever used any other sign as when I did (particularly fire) it didn't seem to do much and the cooldown was too long - I didn't ever brew any potions other than ones that were required as part of a mission either. I did still enjoy it though and think it was probably the best game I played last year and I'll go back and play it again after I'm bored with ED :)

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:46 am

I was off sick yesterday and played Skyrim for the first time in just short of 2 years. Lydia was still sitting in my bedroom waiting for me (which is kinda odd when your wife is in the room downstairs).