The Computer Games Thread

There must be more to life than football?
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: The Computer Games Thread

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:11 pm

Were you expecting her to have gone?

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:12 pm

Rover the Top wrote:Were you expecting her to have gone?
I think it was more hope than expectation.

Hudson
Regular international

Post by Hudson » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:23 pm

Well she is sworn to carry your burden, which she likes to remind you of every 30 seconds...

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:28 pm

Try putting an arrow in her knee, that'll sort it...

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:43 pm

Rover the Top wrote:Try putting an arrow in her knee, that'll sort it...
I actually restarted the game at one point because I one-shotted her (I'm archery spec to the max) when she blundered in front of me and I felt guilty. That's why she has to sit at home thinking about what she did wrong. Anyway, after a couple of hours last night I'm seriously thinking about starting the thing again for the 3rd time and trying to tank it. It's not my style at all so might be fun. Although I won't be taking Lydia anywhere of course, sarcastic sod that she is.

Jim
Experienced international star

Post by Jim » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:44 pm

Hudson wrote:I know exactly what you mean. For me, I enjoyed Skyrim (and played some 400+ hours of it) because of the huge amount of freedom it gave you - you could be a heavy-armour wearing mage, a stealthy rogue, a 2-handed damage dealer, sword & shield tank or a mixture of them all. I used the same combat technique as you in W3 - use shield sign and then fast attacks in between dodgy blows as it's what worked early game and you could pretty much use it against everything in the game (except those damn ghosts!). I rarely ever used any other sign as when I did (particularly fire) it didn't seem to do much and the cooldown was too long - I didn't ever brew any potions other than ones that were required as part of a mission either. I did still enjoy it though and think it was probably the best game I played last year and I'll go back and play it again after I'm bored with ED :)
Best build I have found on Witcher 3 is a 'spellsword' build, basically like you guys have said, go for a sword and signs type of attack, only my advice is to pump 5 points ASAP in the Igni sign (fire). It is incredibly useful as it causes major damage, can crowd control when enemies set on fire, and open them up for major finishes when they are defenceless.

I chose to go down the fast attacks route with a few strong attacks in, went for medium armour (Griffin then Wolf) using the Griffin school general ability to reduce cooldown on sign attacks and make me a bit healthier.

Battles for me go like this...

Igni blast -> fast attacks -> dodge -> igni -> heavy attack - dodge

Rinse and repeat... apart from the Ghosts which become incredibly vulnerable and easy when you use the Yrden sign (magic trap).

I have barely used Quen (shield) at all. I occasionally use Axii (mind-control) especially against strong single enemies like bears etc and Aard (force) to bring down flying monsters for a quick attack/strong attack combo.

Its a really fun play style and gives you the best of both worlds. I'm now in Ard Skellig after cheating on Triss with Yenn, wonder how that will work out at the end of the game!

By the way, I have a virtually unstoppable Gwent tactic that can help you out in a pinch if anyone would like to know it?

Cheers

P.S. I'm pretty damn excited because after a lot of saving, I finally completed my new PC rig yesterday. I'm running a spanking new 6th Gen i7 processor, with two Nvidia GTX 970's in SLI configuration and a insane amount of memory. Playing GTA and Witcher 3 on full graphics settings is just unreal... so many wow moments!

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:04 pm

Sounds dull.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:24 pm

I started off using fire but the shield proved far more practical. As Hudson says, it's an effective tactic right through the game. With a bit of discipline you can slay just about any enemy and hardly take any damage.

As for Gwent, it's dead easy once you've started to build your deck up. But I didn't pay much attention to it early on and unknowingly missed the chance to win the Dandelion card. :roll:

The CD that came with it isn't bad, either.

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:20 pm

mrblackbat wrote:I don't know why, but I decided to buy FM2016 the other night. First one since 2010.
I've just done the same thing.

I seem to be doing really well and then suddenly i'll get dicked at home 3-0 by West Ham out of nowhere. To begin with i just couldn't hold onto a lead which was really frustrating when i had games ending in 4-3 wins and 4-2 losses :lol:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:45 pm

Well I took Rovers up through the playoffs, despite being expected to fight against relegation; winning on penalties against Burnley hehe. Then, Randy Lerner bought the club and was going to fire me to replace with Tim Sherwood; apparently fan response persuaded him to keep me on....

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:45 pm

I've got the Android version of 2015, got it cheap just before 2016 came out.
Currently in October 2024.
My Chorley team are Champions League winners and Premier League champions (having gone into the last match of the season in 3rd, 3 points behind. Managed to win it on goal difference :) )
I have issues scoring though, I never seem to get more than 1 or 2 in a game.

Hudson
Regular international

Post by Hudson » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:59 pm

I'm currently playing a bit of Warhammer: Vermintide. It's like a melee-focused version of Left 4 Dead but it's probably the most RSI-inducing game I've every played :|

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:19 am

I was surprised to reach the end of the main story in Fallout 4 last night. I guess I now need to go exploring to find more side quests, but it feels a bit short.

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:00 pm

mrblackbat wrote:Well I took Rovers up through the playoffs, despite being expected to fight against relegation; winning on penalties against Burnley hehe. Then, Randy Lerner bought the club and was going to fire me to replace with Tim Sherwood; apparently fan response persuaded him to keep me on....
No way! I've seen other clubs get taken over but never actually had it to a club i've been in charge of. Sounds quite interesting!

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:09 pm

Rover the Top wrote:I was surprised to reach the end of the main story in Fallout 4 last night. I guess I now need to go exploring to find more side quests, but it feels a bit short.
At least it doesn't just end, then, like in Fallout 3!