Books that are ace

There must be more to life than football?
Joe
Ageing international

Re: Books that are ace

Post by Joe » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:36 pm

Gibbon wrote:I've read Brave New World (okay-ish) and 1984 (brilliant).

I'm with Theadore on Wells. He at least clearly can't have plagiarised anyone because he probably used his time machine to write all his stuff before anyone else wrote anything.
Who said anything about plagiarising?

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:17 am

you say potato...

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:17 pm

Potato

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:42 pm

And Dan says potato.

Rovertheseas
Experienced international star

Post by Rovertheseas » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:59 am

Still? Slow news day on the forum!

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:08 pm

Potatoes are always big news here.

RoverthePennines
Regular international

Post by RoverthePennines » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:12 pm

Talking of books, I received a huge tirade of abuse at a party the other night for mentioning Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand is what i'm currently reading. I got told people like me are selfish and responsible for a lot of the world's problems for holding similar beliefs to her, which I feel would be a little unfair even if I did share her ideals. I tend to read books to develop a more rounded view rather than for one particular opinion or stance. Surely that down to me.

Anyway, I lost my temper somewhat and he fucked off. I win

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:19 pm

RoverthePennines wrote:Talking of books, I received a huge tirade of abuse at a party the other night for mentioning Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand is what i'm currently reading. I got told people like me are selfish and responsible for a lot of the world's problems for holding similar beliefs to her, which I feel would be a little unfair even if I did share her ideals. I tend to read books to develop a more rounded view rather than for one particular opinion or stance. Surely that down to me.

Anyway, I lost my temper somewhat and he fucked off. I win
I have that sat on my yet to read shelf at home. Supposed to be very interesting. She was a bit mad but a lot of her philosophy was pretty sound - and even if it wasn't that doesn't make her books any less worthwhile. The bloke sounds like a tosser.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:23 pm

lol

Yep. What Ethiaa said. Except for the bit about it being sat on my 'to read' shelf.

RoverthePennines
Regular international

Post by RoverthePennines » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:22 pm

it's quite enjoyable, the plot is a little extreme and most of the characters are difficult to empathise with however. and its fucking massive.
The guy was a bit of tosser but I get the impression he didn't go out much and pleasant conversation isn't something he's used to.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:58 pm

RoverthePennines wrote:it's quite enjoyable, the plot is a little extreme and most of the characters are difficult to empathise with however. and its fucking massive.
The guy was a bit of tosser but I get the impression he didn't go out much and pleasant conversation isn't something he's used to.
Well it's more Rands philosophical treatise than a novel to be fair - so the actual characterisation and plot come a distant second.

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:55 pm

Just finished Ready Player One.
It's the year 2044, and the real world has become an ugly place. We're out of oil. We've wrecked the climate. Famine, poverty, and disease are widespread.

Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes this depressing reality by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS, a sprawling virtual utopia where you can be anything you want to be, where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets. And like most of humanity, Wade is obsessed by the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this alternate reality: OASIS founder James Halliday, who dies with no heir, has promised that control of the OASIS - and his massive fortune - will go to the person who can solve the riddles he has left scattered throughout his creation.

For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that the riddles are based in the culture of the late twentieth century. And then Wade stumbles onto the key to the first puzzle.

Suddenly, he finds himself pitted against thousands of competitors in a desperate race to claim the ultimate prize, a chase that soon takes on terrifying real-world dimensions - and that will leave both Wade and his world profoundly changed.
It's full of loads of 80s pop-culture and video game references and I really enjoyed it.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:59 pm

Sounds good. I may pick that up. :yeahright:

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:03 pm

http://www.digitalleaf.co.uk/our-titles ... ronky-car/

This book sounds awesome... Or rather, the word 'cronky' is awesome

Gibbon