Police [don't] invade Equadorian embassy [yet].

There must be more to life than football?
User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26807
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Police [don't] invade Equadorian embassy [yet].

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:04 pm

theadore wrote:Seamus Milne in the Guardian... a good read about the othersides argument. I know its just a comment piece, but he stays away fro the more ludicrous arguments and at least trys to show some evidence for the argument that US extradition is the main fear.
The problem I have with that is that even if he fears being extradited to the USA, that shouldn't be used as an excuse to obstruct the course of justice in Sweden. As you showed earlier, the argument that he hasn't been charged yet is crap, the fact the arrest warrant has been issued indicates there is a case to answer and he's not just wanted for questioning. It's also weak to say that there wouldn't be this much fuss over anyone else, how many people accused of rape jump bail and hide in an embassy claiming political persecution? Can anyone honestly say they'd expect anyone else to be allowed to hop in a taxi to the airport and catch a plane to Ecuador without the police trying to arrest him?

And I disagree on his last point - even if the UK and Sweden can give assurances that he won't be sent to the USA, that doesn't mean it's the right way to proceed. If any case is brought against him by the USA, it has to be judged for what it is, not presumed to be unjust. And I'm not sure it's right to assume both the UK and Sweden would make the wrong decision in such an instance.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26807
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Police [don't] invade Ecuadorian embassy [yet].

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:19 pm

Ollie Board wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:
Ollie Board wrote:Well go on then genius. You have a stab at what's gone down and then reason behind it? And I promise if I don't like what you say I won't mock you for it then laugh in your face.
Well I already did propose one possibility, early this morning. You countered with your own possibilities, but then have proceeded to argue that you weren't saying they were possible. Which is just fucking confusing.

I reckon it's plausible that Ecuador's initial interest in Assange stems from an anti-USA agenda, as has been suggested. But the more recent vitriol towards the UK echoes Argentina's attacks over the Falklands. Even if they're just doing this to appear the 'good guys', who are they trying to get a pat on the back from?
Maybe (if that was the case) they aren't trying to get a pat on the back from anyone. Could just be a show of defiance against the US. And the recent alliance with Argentina and other South American countries is a show of unity as they may fear that the US has an eye on their land and resources and maybe take back some of the surrounding land that is English occupied in the process?
'Take back'? Controversial...

Sounds like a good plan though, they're worried about the US invading so they give them a semi-legitimate reason to do so... :yeahright: Although if they really want results, they should become muslim states... ;)


User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26807
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Police [don't] invade Equadorian embassy [yet].

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:14 pm

A UN panel has decided Assange is being arbitrarily detained at the Ecuadorian embassy. And there was me thinking that the authorities wanted him to come outside... :yeahright:

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14297
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Police [don't] invade Equadorian embassy [yet].

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:43 pm

If he'd co-operated in the first place in Sweden, he would never have been in a position to be extradited anyway. The only ploy was that he wanted to try and make a thing of it.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26807
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Police [don't] invade Equadorian embassy [yet].

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:58 pm

Hmm, first post on a Blackburn Rovers messageboard is to quote an old post and ask if rape allegations matter...

:yeahright:

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14297
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Police [don't] invade Equadorian embassy [yet].

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:20 pm

And now my post looks weird. Can you just bin that off too?

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17447
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: Police [don't] invade Equadorian embassy [yet].

Post by Gibbon » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:27 pm

If all your posts that looked weird were binned off, it'd decimate your post count.

Lolz! :lol: ;)

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14297
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Police [don't] invade Equadorian embassy [yet].

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:36 am

But it would make thehatts look completely deranged; his usual four-posts-per-repl-during-an-argument style might end up being a stream of hundreds....

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17447
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: Police [don't] invade Equadorian embassy [yet].

Post by Gibbon » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:13 pm

:D

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26807
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Police [don't] invade Equadorian embassy [yet].

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:07 pm

mrblackbat wrote:But it would make thehatts look completely deranged; his usual four-posts-per-repl-during-an-argument style might end up being a stream of hundreds....
I'm surprised you can still be bothered reading that crap. I've had him on "ignore" for at least a couple of years I think.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14297
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Police [don't] invade Equadorian embassy [yet].

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:17 pm

So do I! :hyper:

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13303
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: Police [don't] invade Equadorian embassy [yet].

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:27 pm

You two are such dicks sometimes :lol:

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14297
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Police [don't] invade Equadorian embassy [yet].

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:01 pm

Sometimes?

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13303
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: Police [don't] invade Equadorian embassy [yet].

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:06 pm

mrblackbat wrote:Sometimes?
Fair point, well made.

Post Reply