Cycling

There must be more to life than football?
theadore
Inexperienced manager

Re: Cycling

Post by theadore » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:39 am

Looking like not... Thomas has been pretty impressive thus far... seems odd to think he'd have been pulling Froome up the mountains if it wasn't for the loss of 50 seconds in the early stages.

Dumoulain could still just about do this, but has been looking like Thomas since the Alpe stage.

Jim
Experienced international star

Post by Jim » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:08 am

Thomas has always been a strong rider and a future leader, Just honestly didn’t see him beating Froome hands down and he is.

Could be the Giro exertions starting to show, like it has for Quintana in years past. Either way I’m delighted for him and I do think he has the beating of Demoulin, probably not in the time trial but certainly in the mountains.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:02 pm

Jim wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:08 am
Thomas has always been a strong rider and a future leader, Just honestly didn’t see him beating Froome hands down and he is.

Could be the Giro exertions starting to show, like it has for Quintana in years past. Either way I’m delighted for him and I do think he has the beating of Demoulin, probably not in the time trial but certainly in the mountains.
:yeahright:

No, he hasn't always been a leader. For years Thomas was an out an out classics man, or one to take stage wins. There was an awful lot of surprise and scepticism a few years ago when Thomas was pacing Froome and dropping big name climbers out the back. I think Pete Kennaugh was probably pencilled in for the next team lead from Britain.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:07 pm

Froome dropped again, Thomas on his own with Dumoulin, Roglic and Krisjwyck (or however you spell it)

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:04 pm

Thomas finishes third in the time trial to maintain his lead. Personally, I don't like ITTs as the penultimate stage, too many riders have nothing to ride for at that point so just coast.

Never imagined Thomas would win the tour a few years back.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:45 pm

No... But fair play to him... Must have taken a lot to change his riding style and body shape. This hasn't been like Wiggins in 2012 with a TT heavy course to suit, he has been the best climber in the field and possibly had a little left in the TT as well.

Agree about final stage TT... In the right circumstances I guess it can make great drama... But like an inevitable sprint stage there is still no point tuning in to anything but the last hour.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:50 am

Rover the Top wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:49 pm

Is Geraint Thomas a legitimate contender or will Froome become Sky's lead man later in the race?
Different answer to that question this year... Without being a cycling fan, Thomas' name has kept coming up for the last ten years, winning golds at the Olympics and the road race at the Commonwealth Games. Yet even last year when he had an early lead, he wasn't talked about as someone who could win the Tour de France. Unlike Wiggins and Froome, he seems a personality you can get behind. It makes a great story that he's the unlikely winner beating his big name team mate and it's made the Tour worth following for the first time for me.

I wonder how long it will be before anyone starts digging through his medical records?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:06 pm

Yates makes up for his implosion in the giro and wins the vuelta (well, will do tomorrow).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/45535153