Cycling

There must be more to life than football?
mrblackbat
Promising manager

Cycling

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:44 pm

So I think there are a few people on here that cycle (at least me and Theadore anyway) so let's have a thread!

Just made the switch to SPDs this weekend, so far been doing alright and not had any timberrrrr moments; though I did have a bit of a dance at some traffic lights yesterday afternoon when I over balanced to my clipped in side. :oops:

Also, my new inner chainrings landed, a nice 24T for my triple, should be able to get up pretty much anything now!

mcteeth
Ageing international

Re: Cycling

Post by mcteeth » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:19 pm

Well I'm also a cycling lover, currently tearing around London on this:

Admittedly I'm a bit of a fixed gear twat, but given that London is flat, they are extremely fun to ride, great for fitness and very very fast!

Utterly desperate to get on a velodrome, any on here ever been on one?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:26 pm

Aargh fixie (being I have a triple it's probably as far away as you can get.... I like going up hills though! :) )

As for the velodrome, we keep looking into booking a session at the Manchester one, but the waiting list is massive.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:09 pm

I can't say I'd be interested in going around a Velo track... although never say never.

Probably an XC rider at heart... the macho downhill MTB and silly tricks don't really interest me (plus I don't stand a hope in hell of pulling them off). Hoping to put together a road bike at some point over this year... although am also weighing up a single-speed hybrid as the main purpose will be fitness.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:26 pm

SPDs were the best decision I made... I can't say I've ever had a serious tumble because of them and the climbing benefit is definitely worth it.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:42 pm

I reckon sprinting away from lights and stuff will be better too, though at the moment not so much as it takes me a bit to clip in sometimes.....

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:54 pm

I tend to keep the jaws set pretty loose, and will usually unclip one side if I'm going to be stopped for any length of time. Haven't tried road cleats before, but with most of the different mountain bike ones you can generally get enough purchase to pedal along and clip in once your moving.

Strongly considering changing to Egg Beaters however.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:37 pm

Well the ones I have are single sided SPD and flat on the other side so I can still ride in normal shoes if I want to. And currently they're as loose as they can go. Gonna leave them that well til I'm a bit more used to them.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:58 pm

Should have remembered SPD is actually a Shimano brand rather than just a catch-all term for clipless pedals. I was assuming you were riding something like the Look road pedals.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:38 pm

AH no, it's these that I'm using Image

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:03 pm

mrblackbat wrote:Aargh fixie (being I have a triple it's probably as far away as you can get.... I like going up hills though! :) )

As for the velodrome, we keep looking into booking a session at the Manchester one, but the waiting list is massive.
Yeah there is an outdoor velodrome at herne hill, which you can get on easily enough, but isn't quite the same as the real deal.

Olympic velodrome opens up next year, but no idea if it is a possibility to get to ride on it...

Rovertheseas
Experienced international star

Post by Rovertheseas » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:37 pm

Well if it's any consolation, I ride in a velodrome almost every day back home, and it does get a little monotonous, but at the same time it's exhilarating. Need to keep your concentration though - I've seen some horrendous injuries done on velodromes.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:43 pm

I can't imagine that I'd want to do it regularly. I think i like climbing a bit too much....

wrinkleyninja
Promising youngster

Post by wrinkleyninja » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:36 pm

i was hoping this would be full of novices! i've recently gotten into cycling and although can't do it every night as have children it's something i'd like to keep up. i've got a cube cross. easily the best bike i've ever had.. any idea on distance/times i should be aiming for per week? any advice appreciated. thanks :)

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:29 pm

you'll have to ask someone who isn't still an (albeit well informed) novice.

I don't think there is a right answer... but if you work up to being able to do a 2 hour ride at roughly 80% effort without too much trouble you should have a decent fitness base to be able to tackle some interesting routes. The rest is really down to what you want to get out of it