Cycling

There must be more to life than football?
mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re: Cycling

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:05 am

Simon Yates fails drug test

This is where I start to get confused over the point of drugs testing; it's OK to use this particular asthma inhaler with whatever the perceived performance boost is (probably not suffering from an asthma attack....) but only if you've filled in a form. :shrug:

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:13 am

Shame for Yates.

Sadly cycling's history and the willingness of doctor's to fudge medical notes means this is necessary. Poor by orica though.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:32 am

mrblackbat wrote:Simon Yates fails drug test

This is where I start to get confused over the point of drugs testing; it's OK to use this particular asthma inhaler with whatever the perceived performance boost is (probably not suffering from an asthma attack....) but only if you've filled in a form. :shrug:
I'm wondering why the doctor switched me from terbutaline, telling me it was no longer available. It never seemed to do me much good in sport, other than saving me from collapsing unable to breathe. Is that cheating?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:41 am

Cheat.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:44 am

Yes... people with such defects have no place in professional sport. :P

Its not a commonly abused one (salbutamol is however)... but its on the list. I guess there may be a marginal gain in breathing a little easier when at the limit?

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:31 am

There's certainly a very big gain for a chronic asthmatic. ;) But I now wonder how it affects a non-asthmatic?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:47 am

theadore wrote:Yes... people with such defects have no place in professional sport. :P

Its not a commonly abused one (salbutamol is however)... but its on the list. I guess there may be a marginal gain in breathing a little easier when at the limit?
Stuff is usually banned because of the way in which the breathing gain is implemented - it's usually actually nothing to do with intake of air but absorption of oxygen into red blood cells being increased. Like EPO.

However, for me, I think there's a point where you have to look at all medication that athletes take. For instance, in cycling, to assist recovery times and allow a cyclist to get back on a bike the following day, doctors prescribe them a shed load of ibuprofen and paracetemol to reduce inflammation and dull pain. If they didn't, the cyclist wouldn't perform as well the following day..... oh hang on, isn't that then performance enhancing?

Likewise, towards the end of the race with about an hour to an hour and a half to go, they hand out caffeine pills to their cyclist to give them a boost; it's known to improve athletic performance and improve reaction time, exactly what's needed for a sprint. So isn't that a performance enhancing drug?

If they didn't prescribe this stuff, performance would suffer; that's why the prescribe it.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:38 pm

Weird tactics from GB in the opympic road race, have Cummings batter himself on the front whilst also having premeditated bike changes for his team mates so they have to catch back up.

Then Cummings burns himself out up the climb early with nobody around to take advantage. Would much rather see them use Stannard if that was the plan and let Cummings try for breaks.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:17 am

Yeah... Taillight the point should have been to get Cummings in the break early. Stannard for the work.

Although having one of the other three go on each lap of the cooling seems a fairly sensible tactic... Just a shame that Yates/Thomas didn't quite have it.

Awesome by GVA though... And fuglsang who ride himself into silver working together rather than settle for a shot at bronze which the others in the group seemed to be going for.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:45 am

Yes the tactics after were fine, give yourself a shot whatever happens. Perhaps Froome should have gone with Yates to get in that second break group.

Shame for the crashes though, Porte's looked a bad one particularly and would be interesting to hear who out of Henao and Nibali caused their crash.

Glad GVA won though, a proper classics attacking rider who never gives up and finishes second too often after getting dicked for putting too much work in and was great to watch him and Fuglsang actually work to pull Majka in rather than just look at each other.

Jim
Experienced international star

Post by Jim » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:42 pm

As good a cyclist as he is, Sagan needs to have a serious word with himself after his dangerous actions today. Probably ended Mark Cavendish' tour with an elbow forcing Cav off his bike and into the barriers. Very nasty incident and brought down two others at high speed.

Andre Greipel wasn't directly involved in the accident but was apparently livid with Sagan at the end.

Is elbowing legal in the sprints? I know a certain level of contact is allowed (can't be avoided) but this looked very avoidable.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:44 pm

Not seen anything from today, but Cav's done his fair share of naughtiness in the bunch sprint before. And there certainly seems to be a shout that Griepel knocked Sagan off balance.

The problen with Sagan, for me, is that he's not quite a sprinter. He can sprint superbly, but on the flat against top sprinters like Cavendish, Kittel, Griepel, Kristoff and the like, he won't win. And nor is he a gc contender either.

Anyway, important stuff starts tomorrow; the Planche des Belle Fille was where Froome and Wiggins made their first blow in 2012 and its a pretty nasty shortish climb. The last ramp in particular always looks steep before a little flat to finish. Be interesting to see how Sky play it, whether G turns domestique in yellow for Froome.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:29 pm

Not important to Sagan now - he's been chucked out...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/40498656

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:49 pm

Looks like he was behaving like a typical cylclist to me, swerving all over the road with no consideration for anyone behind him... :yeahright:

Is Geraint Thomas a legitimate contender or will Froome become Sky's lead man later in the race?

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:59 pm

He has the potential to be a competitor but his position in the team isn't to do that while Froome is still in the hunt - he will be used to further Froome as part of the team effort unless F-Dog does his collar bone or something. Word.