Cycling

There must be more to life than football?
Ethiaa
Site Admin

Re: Cycling

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:29 am

But you think the best chance he has is after the mountains?

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:33 am

I see... I meant the best chance anyone has/had.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:46 am

Ahh. That makes more sense.

Jim
Experienced international star

Post by Jim » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:31 am

I hope it doesn't happen but I have the perfect song in mind if Sky's Henao has to retire from the Tour... :hyper:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:48 pm

theadore wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:10 am
Kittel looks to be on fire at the moment - can't see a half fit cavendish beating him in a sprint at the moment. Think the best chance is after the mountains where he tends to lose it a little.
Its quite odd that none of the other outright sprinters are close to challenging him; Eddy Boss looks closest and whilst he's a great sprinter you wouldn't class him as one. Guys like Griepel, Kristoff, Bouhanni, Matthews, Ben Swift etc just haven't challenged. Dan McLay doing ok for what I think is his first tour?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:50 pm

Oh and apparently John Degenkolb is racing..... haven't even seen him...

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:59 am

He came off earlier in the week I think.

Matthews and Swift are more like Saganesque riders than pure sprinters... but yes its still surprising that Kittel has it all to himself.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:32 pm

Kittel abandons giving up the green jersey.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:59 pm

Should be that, then. Can't see Bardet beating Froome on a time trial.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:06 pm

Uran however could. Fairly unlikely to overturn that kind of gap though.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:58 pm

Pretty unlikely... The is a bit of a bump in the ITT course... But nothing like the amount that Bardet would need. I guess Uran could do something but it's been a long time since he has put in that kind of performance against the clock.

Although all that said... Sky should really have made more of their superiority... Froome is only a small mechanical or tumble away from losing it.

Barguil has been immense... Nice to see the mountains Jersey go to the best climber.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:07 am

Is Barguil definitely the best climber though? Had Landa been allowed to go for the KoM I think he'd have taken it, and obviously Bardet and Froome would be well up there. It's sort of thr problem with that competition; in all honesty the best climber is usually the yellow jersey.

I still think this year has been relatively dull. The points jersey was at least looking exciting up to Kittel pulling out, with a genuine chance there might have been something to race for on thr final day. Yellow is sewn up; Froome will most likely win the TT. And he hasn't been anywhere near as strong as in previous years.

All a bit... dull.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:29 am

I'd say so... subjective of course... but he has shown capable against top class climbers in a breakaway group as well as being able to ride off the GC group as well. Froome, Bardet and even Uran have all been up there... but in any case I was more meaning that it is refreshing to have someone who is actually climbing as well as the GC contenders rather than just someone who is willing to get in the most breaks.

Landa could have been - but I'm not a fan of extrapolating how well someone is climbing from how relaxed they look not attacking.. plus when Bardet has attacked in the last couple of days he's generally been hanging on to froomes back wheel rather than pacing up his leader so I'm not convinced.

It's been a weird year... certainly not a vintage one, but I've enjoyed the change of route. Odd that its so close and yet hasn't really felt tense at any point. The crashes of Valverde, Porte and Kittel have killed the interest unfortunately. Valverde would have been mopping up all the bonus seconds on these sharp climbs... Porte if he could follow the attacks would be too dangerous to leave until a TT.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:20 pm

I'm not convinced Landa was sat at the back; I think he was pacing, just that Froome was reacting to the attacks. I think, if anything, that's signalled to me that Froome has felt a little more off this year; he's never looked as calm when someone has attacked. In past years he would have just let whoever grind him back up to the attackibg group.

I do know what you mean with Barguil, but it's easy to attack off the GC contenders when you aren't one; they simply don't need to counter. The most recent climbers jersey that was truly merited for me was Quintana when Froome won his first tour.

The crash outs have had a big impact. Quintana hasn't looked the same without his super domestique and as you say, Valverde would have been getting plenty of those bonus seconds. Porte I wasn't convinced would be a contender, but is certainly the only real threat to Froome in a time trial. And the Green jersey has just turned into the last man standing competition.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:24 pm

Oh amd dead happy that Eddy Boss won today; been well deserved.