Cycling

There must be more to life than football?
mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re: Cycling

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:23 am

I'm still very much a novice, as shown by my rather inept bike handling skills....

I'm sure there are plenty of guides and plans on the web that you could look at, but I guess it also depends on your physique and fitness levels already. I started in the summer, but I'd already been snowboarding regularly for a few years and had started doing running for 10k races in the Spring, so I was pretyt fit to begin with. I know I irritated my mates girlfriend quite a bit with how quick and strong I started, was comfortably taking in some pretty steep climbs in the ribble valley without any problem, and then went to France in September and did a couple of cat 2 climbs.

Could do with some good weather though and a bit more pennine cycling; the problem with living in the centre of Manchester is there's 10 miles of crap cycling in every direction before you get somewhere nice. :(

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:33 pm

Yeah... Even in Sheffield which is much closer to the peaks... the city centre horror is frequently enough to put you off.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:31 pm

Have quite a nice route over the pennines to Sheffield actually:-

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=489304

Also, I need a new saddle, thinking of getting one of the Specialized BG efforts; anyone tried them?

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:47 pm

Can't work out which way round you're going - but if that is 'up' winnets pass... its an awesome climb.

The road is that steep that as many people push down it as up it.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:40 pm

From Manchester side to Sheffield; so down Winnats.

I'm fairly interested in the old subsided road round there too, looks pretty cool!

Actually; looking at it again, no it doesn't touch Winnats, that's down the other side into Castleton. Just plotted it though, and there's a nice looking 30% section....

Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Rover the Moon » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:50 am

A bloke I worked with who retired 2 years ago took up cycling just before retireing at the age of 51. He regularly does the route in the Lakes that takes in every pass. :o

He was in fact doing it the day before that taxi driver went all Charles Bronson around Gosforth way

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:59 pm

All the passes? So Kirkstone, Windlatter, Honister, Wrynose, Hardknott? I'd be interested to see the route, because it's difficult to get between the first three and the last two sensibly by road.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:30 pm

mrblackbat wrote:All the passes? So Kirkstone, Windlatter, Honister, Wrynose, Hardknott? I'd be interested to see the route, because it's difficult to get between the first three and the last two sensibly by road.
I'll second that, route would be interesting to see...

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:34 pm

mcteeth wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:All the passes? So Kirkstone, Windlatter, Honister, Wrynose, Hardknott? I'd be interested to see the route, because it's difficult to get between the first three and the last two sensibly by road.
I'll second that, route would be interesting to see...
Fred Whitton Challenge route...

Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Rover the Moon » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:01 pm

Mcteeth has it right.

A nutters route :lol:

He was an animal and I did challenge him to do that route the opposite way so he actually had to go UP he kirsktone and UP the harder side of the honister pass (buttermere to the mine). Plus I think going up the wrynose from little langdale is longer and steeper than going up the hardknott from boot, though I've only ever driven it once and once was enough for me :o

He also use to cut it shorter sometimes by missing out the Kirkstone pass and going from Little langdale to ambleside via Langdale past Blea tarn and down into the head of the langdale valley and then from Ambleside back to Keswick via Dunmail Raise

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:29 pm

Ah ok; I was knocking up a route and was doing Windlatter before Honister; then all the way round Thirlmere to Wrynose and Hardknott. Harknott from the Wrynose side is definitely nasty too, Moon.

I reckon I might start with just doing from Windermere to Wrynose/Hardknott, then loop back via Coniston as my first attempt.

Gonna plot it in GPS....

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:34 pm

Interesting route, only driven it, but complete agree on Wrynose to Hardknott being much worse than the other way round. Doing it on a bike I think you'd enjoy the challenge of both those passes, the one I'd dread would be Kirkstone, from either way it would feel like a never ending slog!

Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Rover the Moon » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:34 pm

mrblackbat wrote:Ah ok; I was knocking up a route and was doing Windlatter before Honister; then all the way round Thirlmere to Wrynose and Hardknott. Harknott from the Wrynose side is definitely nasty too, Moon.

I reckon I might start with just doing from Windermere to Wrynose/Hardknott, then loop back via Coniston as my first attempt.

Gonna plot it in GPS....
I'm in no way a cyclist but another practice route could be from Keswick back to Keswick over the Winlatter and Honister passes through Borrowdale, Or via Newlands and Honister passes, Or Winlatter and Newlands

My ex work colleague also slogged up Great Dunn fell in Cumbria. It's where the golf ball mast is on the pennines/howgills you can see from the M6 on the way up to penrith. Starts at 215m and ends at 848m high!!! The climb starts at a place called Knock near Temple Sowerby. I think it's part road then there's an unlocked gate where only authorised motor vehicles can go past

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:22 am

mcteeth wrote:Interesting route, only driven it, but complete agree on Wrynose to Hardknott being much worse than the other way round. Doing it on a bike I think you'd enjoy the challenge of both those passes, the one I'd dread would be Kirkstone, from either way it would feel like a never ending slog!
I'm not so sure; having done some category 2s (route below and actually I have the downhill at the end on youtube if anyone wants to see) in France in September, I don't mind steady long climbs; what hurts more is things that ramp up sharp. Did the other route below a month or so ago, and that was pretty evil in places, the stretch out of Barley to Newchurch was particularly evil!

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=454765
http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=470977

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:23 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
mcteeth wrote:Interesting route, only driven it, but complete agree on Wrynose to Hardknott being much worse than the other way round. Doing it on a bike I think you'd enjoy the challenge of both those passes, the one I'd dread would be Kirkstone, from either way it would feel like a never ending slog!
I'm not so sure; having done some category 2s (route below and actually I have the downhill at the end on youtube if anyone wants to see) in France in September, I don't mind steady long climbs; what hurts more is things that ramp up sharp. Did the other route below a month or so ago, and that was pretty evil in places, the stretch out of Barley to Newchurch was particularly evil!

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=454765
http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=470977
I think it is the fixed gear in me talking, short sharp climbs when fixed are simply a battle to be won, get up some speed then go crazy trying to get up the thing.

Long climbs fixed are dreadful :cry: