Cycling

There must be more to life than football?
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: Cycling

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:44 am

What does he want to play him at?

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:46 am

performance enhancing drugs 8-)

see limitless

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:32 pm

Savory wrote:performance enhancing drugs 8-)

see limitless
NZT anyday.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:13 am

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:56 am

Always good for a quote is bradley

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:53 am

wrinkleyninja
Promising youngster

Post by wrinkleyninja » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:37 am

Decided last week to up my cycling and push to travel a further distance as I seem to be getting used to the exercise and becoming less tired. I cycle on the roads as is safer as Im by myself and switch to pavements when especially busy. Last week i was cautioned by the police for being on the pavement and so switched back to the road. I was promptly clipped by a car and flung to the pavement. Ouchies. On the plus side that evening i travelled 11.3 miles. 4 of which after i was hit by car. Not been back out as of yet. Thinking tonight is the night i try again. Just thought id share!

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:30 pm

The car flung you 4 miles? :o

Seriously though, as a pedestrian, cyclists riding on the pavements is up there with drivers not using indicators. Bloody dangerous, and something i've become more aware of now I've a 16 month old toddler in tow.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:33 pm

As a pedestrian and frequent jogger, cyclists on the pavements is dangerous and irresponsible. Paticularly when they're going fast. No lights in the dark is a stupid idea too.

As a driver, cyclists getting in the way, deciding red light aren't for them, coming off the pavements, overtaking parked cars, cutting across the lanes, or coming down the left side of me when i'm turning left is dangerous and annoying.

As a cyclist, cars not giving me enough room, not allowing me to turn right easily, and buses getting angry that you're in the bus and cycle lane is annoying. Fortunately I've yet to experience the delights of trying to cycle through a busy city centre.

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:50 pm

Ok, so my 5 year old banged up Horizon Ridgeback was stolen last week.

It was insured under an old for new policy, and today I was contacted by the insurers to be told the good news that they have authourised the claim and have provisionnally offered this:

http://www.tweekscycles.com/bikes/road- ... -bike-2013

If I don't want this, I can speak to them about choosing an alternative for the price of £679. (The price discrepancy compared to the Speedster is because I think they get a discount on it).

Now I just wanted to ask some advice on what to do. I'm not expert when it comes to bikes on the whole, so please excuse the lack of jargon.

My last bike was a touring bike I believe, whilst this one is more of a road racing bike?

My main use for the bike is to cycle to and from work everyday, rain or shine, in London. Not many steep hills. However I also enjoy the occassional weekend bikeride which will involve more hilly roads. But certainly not the off-road type, more likely a cycle along country lanes....

So what I want, I think, out of a bike is a lightweight one, nice and nippy, but also to be fitted with, or have the ability to be fitted with front and back mudguards. I would possibly also like a saddle rack.

That speedster looks like it lacks the mudguard and saddle rack ability, and looks more akin to someone into road racing. I mean I don't want a slow bike, but my last bike was a 5 year old touring bike, and that was nice and nippy (at least enough for me).

I've had a look around, and there's thishttp://www.wheelies.co.uk/p43376/Dawes- ... e=googleps

Seems more akin to my last bike.

So does it sound like a touring bike is what I need? And if so does that one look ok?

Grateful for all recommendations/tips.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:02 am

If you need all the commuting ephemera... I recommend somewhere like Decathlon.

The bike itself won't be as good, but it will come hella specced for the price.

Alternatively, I think just get the best bike you can and worry about making the commuter mods later. The scott looks nice

wrinkleyninja
Promising youngster

Post by wrinkleyninja » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:30 am

Wasn't the responses i was expecting lol. I do have lights and travel for distance not to increase speed. Still i can see it both ways. I do travel via pavements and have been annoyed at cyclists myself. However, its always seems to be loons bombing it down with no lights etc. Will have to try a quieter route while i get used to the roads as just not confident enough as of yet.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:40 am

It's not that I'm not sympathetic...I don't ride a bike at all because I'd be dead within a month riding on the roads. I get distracted too easily. Riding on the pavement shouldn't be the answer though.

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:24 am

theadore wrote:If you need all the commuting ephemera... I recommend somewhere like Decathlon.

The bike itself won't be as good, but it will come hella specced for the price.

Alternatively, I think just get the best bike you can and worry about making the commuter mods later. The scott looks nice

The insurance company deals with Wheelies. So I think I imagine I have to go with their stock.

Had a chat with my dad last night who is much more cycle savvy than me. Definetly recommends a touring bike for me. Number of reasons really, but one was that a bike such as that Speedster wouldn't be ideal for a bike ride across the cobbly country paths from Downham to Wiswell; a route that's featured in numerous of my previous rides. Also he reckons it would be difficult to install decent mudguards on that Speedster, and I don't want a traile of black spray down my back when it's been raining.
(The touring bikes look much less aesthetic than the Speedster too, so less likely to be pried upon by scumbag thiefs.) And they're still going to be pretty nippy on the main roads.

Think I'm going to go for the Dawes I posted above, or the Roux Etape 250. (I might as well take advantage of the full entitlement of money they're willing to pay.)

I know Dawes are a solid brand, but does anyone know anything/have experience of Roux's quality?

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:36 pm

Ok I'm down to 3..... any help in picking the bits and pieces out of these three?

Roux-Etape-250-2013-Touring-Bike

Dawes-Horizon-Plus-2012-Touring-Bike

Charge-Filter-Mid-2012-Road-Bike

As a non-expert, am I seriously going to notice the difference in weight, wheel/tyres, speed ect between these 3? Or should I just pick the one I like the look of best/has better reviews? (though there are very little reviews for the etape)