Visiting Blackburn

There must be more to life than football?
User avatar
Rover Ryan
Ageing international
Posts: 4777
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Bolton, England
Contact:

Re: Visiting Blackburn

Post by Rover Ryan » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:07 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Rover Ryan wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:but for a regular night out going round the bars and pubs, it's no more special than anywhere else
Depends on the places you go in and your own personal opinion.
It is all about personal opinion, and I was giving mine... :shrug: :lol:
No need to be like that. Just because you don't think it's all that doesn't mean everyone will feel the same. The place is busy every night so there must be something that separates Manchester for the surrounding areas that are dead most of the nights of the week.

User avatar
Rover Ryan
Ageing international
Posts: 4777
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Bolton, England
Contact:

Re: Visiting Blackburn

Post by Rover Ryan » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:09 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Rover Ryan wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:but for a regular night out going round the bars and pubs, it's no more special than anywhere else
Depends on the places you go in and your own personal opinion. There's plenty of top venues in the town centre, the problem is getting to them all. I'd usually start off at The Angel/Marble Arch/Crown and Kettle/Bar Fringe, then hike across to Oxford Rd for Lass O Gowry/The Saunsbury/Grand Central, stopping along the way at The Piccadilly Circus Tavern. All those pubs have something different to offer from the last and have some cracking features, worth a photograph or two.
Places surrounding the area don't have a patch on Manchester IMO. Blackburn, Bolton and Preston certainly don't come close. Bury's not bad for it's size as well.
I have no idea why you'd leave the northern quarter for places like the Lass and Grand Central, when you've missed out most of the best places there....
It's easier to get home from that side of the town.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27140
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Visiting Blackburn

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:51 pm

Rover Ryan wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:
Rover Ryan wrote: Depends on the places you go in and your own personal opinion.
It is all about personal opinion, and I was giving mine... :shrug: :lol:
No need to be like that. Just because you don't think it's all that doesn't mean everyone will feel the same. The place is busy every night so there must be something that separates Manchester for the surrounding areas that are dead most of the nights of the week.
There is a need to be like that because you still don't seem to be getting that I was offering alternative ideas BECAUSE not everyone wants to do the same thing. I never came close to suggesting everyone felt the same as me, it's actually you who's taking umbrage that I don't share your opinion of what's needed for a good night out. :shrug: There's a guy coming all the way over from Canada to visit the north west of England, and the only thing some of you can recommend is to stay in a fairly standard city because you like getting pissed there... is that what you look for when going on holiday yourselves?

User avatar
theadore
Inexperienced manager
Posts: 9710
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:25 pm

Re: Visiting Blackburn

Post by theadore » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:57 pm

In fairness to Manchester it's a pretty excellent city.... Food and Drink in one of the best cities in the country for both sounds like a pretty good way to spend a holiday to me... throw in galleries, live music and some sort of castle and you have pretty much my ideal holiday.

User avatar
Rover Ryan
Ageing international
Posts: 4777
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Bolton, England
Contact:

Re: Visiting Blackburn

Post by Rover Ryan » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:04 pm

I don't go on holiday.

Is there another City close to Blackburn that tops Manchester. If so point me in that direction please.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27140
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Visiting Blackburn

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:30 pm

Why do you need to go to a city? My alternative suggestions were seaside towns and areas of natural beauty that are often cited as tourist destinations. He says he's from Toronto, so he can get drunk in a city centre pretty much any time he wants. Maybe that's all he wants to do over here too, but maybe he wants something different on his break? I don't really see why you're taking so much exception to me saying there's more to do over here than go on a bender around Manchester? :?

User avatar
Rover Ryan
Ageing international
Posts: 4777
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Bolton, England
Contact:

Re: Visiting Blackburn

Post by Rover Ryan » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:53 pm

Who said anything about a bender :shrug:

You made out that that Manchester was just average for a drink and "it's no more special than anywhere else". That's not true, and the fact of it being the busiest place around just proves that.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27140
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Visiting Blackburn

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:22 pm

Rover Ryan wrote:Who said anything about a bender :shrug:

You made out that that Manchester was just average for a drink and "it's no more special than anywhere else". That's not true, and the fact of it being the busiest place around just proves that.
Sorry, but that's just your opinion differing from mine, nothing to do with it being true or false. :roll: As I've said, I've had good nights out in Manchester, but I've had equally good nights elsewhere. I even had a great night in Blackburn after the Leeds game. It was nothing to do with the venue, it was the company I was with that made it memorable. And that's what matters for me. You can't accept that for some reason, but all you've done is list a bunch of bars that I wouldn't even know if I've been in and claimed they somehow enhance the beer drinking experience beyond what you can get anywhere else in the world. I'm not convinced, I still think I'd need some mates there to have a good time.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14733
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Visiting Blackburn

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:47 pm

Rover Ryan wrote:Who said anything about a bender :shrug:

You made out that that Manchester was just average for a drink and "it's no more special than anywhere else". That's not true, and the fact of it being the busiest place around just proves that.
So, on those grounds, Tokyo is easily the best place to be, right, if population is all that counts?

User avatar
Rover Ryan
Ageing international
Posts: 4777
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Bolton, England
Contact:

Re: Visiting Blackburn

Post by Rover Ryan » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:28 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Rover Ryan wrote:Who said anything about a bender :shrug:

You made out that that Manchester was just average for a drink and "it's no more special than anywhere else". That's not true, and the fact of it being the busiest place around just proves that.
So, on those grounds, Tokyo is easily the best place to be, right, if population is all that counts?
Yes definitely.

Post Reply