Pistorius trial.

There must be more to life than football?
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Pistorius trial.

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:40 pm

First day delayed because they were an Afrikaans-English translator short, then the replacement turned out to be pretty hopeless by the sounds of things. The first witness ended up switching to English part way through the day as a result. She says she heard screams before 4 shots. The defence lawyer claims she actually heard Pistorius breaking down the door with a cricket bat and that Pistorius screams like a woman... And of course, there's plenty of idiots on Twitter reacting like the first bit of testimony is going to decide the case. :whoosh:

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Re: Pistorius trial.

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:45 pm

I love the fact that, when the witness and husband realised that their experience was at odds with the story Pistorius gave, the first thing they did was get a lawyer so they could make a press statement. Not contact the police, oh no. Media advice.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:26 pm

I hope they don't seriously expect anyone to believe that a gunshot and a cricket bat hitting a door sound anywhere near the same.

A cricket bat striking a ball, possibly, but not battering down a door.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:33 pm

Not convinced you'd hear a great deal of anything from 200 metres away when you are both in your own air conditioned building.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:40 pm

Ah but the window was open....

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:19 pm

I can believe you could hear a gunshot, if it was a particularly loud gunshot and if you were already awake and if it was a quiet night. But not a bat hitting a door, and definitely not someone screaming from inside their own house.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:34 am

I thought it was explained in the witness' testimony that there was no air con in her building and the windows were open? I don't think it's particularly unbelievable that you'd hear gunshots from just 177m away in the dead of night. They tend to be pretty loud. :yeahright: But this is only the first witness anyway. I expect the prosecution are going to trot out a bunch of them all saying similar things.

Despite it being made clear that the witness wasn't to appear on TV, one broadcaster has shown a photo of her this morning. :doh:

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:47 am

I'm seriously unconvinced about what you can hear even with your own windows open. But anyway.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am

Are you deaf, Eth? :yeahright: :D

Having heard gunshots in Broughton from my apartment, which has good sound proofing and at the time the windows closed, I would think I would definitely hear a gunshot from a couple of hundred metres away with the windows open and on a quiet night. And my hearing is screwed from standing in front of cranked 80 watt guitar amps..... :shrug:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:08 am

The defence seem happy enough to claim that the witness could hear a cricket bat against a door from 177m away.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:11 am

And identify it as the sound of a cricket bat? :shrug:

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:44 am

mrblackbat wrote:Are you deaf, Eth? :yeahright: :D

Having heard gunshots in Broughton from my apartment, which has good sound proofing and at the time the windows closed, I would think I would definitely hear a gunshot from a couple of hundred metres away with the windows open and on a quiet night. And my hearing is screwed from standing in front of cranked 80 watt guitar amps..... :shrug:
Are those shots you hear in a bathroom with window and door shut? Pff

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:50 am

It's OK, the new witness was only half the distance away and she heard 4 banging noises followed by 'a commotion'

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:53 am

Much more likely.

The testimony about hearing a woman screaming is much more important frankly. Interesting the person half the distance away isn't saying that.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:02 am

Ethiaa wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:Are you deaf, Eth? :yeahright: :D

Are those shots you hear in a bathroom with window and door shut? Pff
Pistorius' version said the window in the bathroom was open as that was how he assumed an intruder had got in... :yeahright: