Football Manager Series

There must be more to life than football?
User avatar
RoryoftheRovers
Regular international
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:36 pm
Contact:

Football Manager Series

Post by RoryoftheRovers » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:51 pm

Good Afternoon Folks,

Friday saw the release of the new Football Manager game, creatively titled "Football Manager 2015". As an avid player of the series, all the way back to it's incarnation at Championship Manager in the early 90's i'm looking forward to seeing the new features, particularly how the 'Management style' function works. It is also pleasing to hear that the scouting and transfers have had a revamp, as with more recent versions it was seriously flawed - Particularly the starring system.

Have we got many FM fans on the forum and has anyone purchased it yet? What do we think?

I haven't yet btw - simply because I have had little time to download etc.

Happy to discuss anything associated with the series.

User avatar
Dan
Unemployed ex-pro
Posts: 6864
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:08 am
Contact:

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by Dan » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:05 pm

I used to be hooked on those games but haven't played them for a few years now - although I do have the handheld version on my phone which is a nice cut down version that's very easy to pick up and play when you've got a spare 5 minutes, but frustrating when you want to go into a bit more detail with aspects that they have cut out.

User avatar
Rover Ryan
Ageing international
Posts: 4778
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Bolton, England
Contact:

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by Rover Ryan » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:28 pm

Hi Rory,

When you mention the starring system are you on about when you get say 3 players at 5 stars signed in your team all your other players (and sometimes the new 5 star players) star ratings drop?

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27188
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:08 pm

I refuse to get suckered into buying a new version each year just because they've tweaked a couple of features. I'm still playing FM2010. It's fun to see how many of the hot prospects from it have actually become star names in real life...

User avatar
-BARON-23-
Promising manager
Posts: 11073
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:45 am
Location: Blackpool - Home, Luton - University
Contact:

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by -BARON-23- » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:21 pm

For me i loved Championship Manager 07/08 back in the day on my PS2 but i do get the new one each year! This one for me i just don't know where to start. The budgets are all too low and players' asking price is always too high. If you're West Ham manager for example you can only sign one player as you get 3 million... QPR is 4 million... Blackburn 200k etc. It's impossible. Heck even Arsenal at 40 million isn't enough as one player costs around 30 million minimum and he's not even better than what i have!

User avatar
Rover Ryan
Ageing international
Posts: 4778
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Bolton, England
Contact:

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by Rover Ryan » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:04 pm

Rover the Top wrote:I refuse to get suckered into buying a new version each year just because they've tweaked a couple of features. I'm still playing FM2010. It's fun to see how many of the hot prospects from it have actually become star names in real life...
I agree there's not enough of an update to justify buying a newer version, and if you have a save on your 2010 you've put a lot of hours into then I'd find myself content with keeping to that.

I think I will be getting this one however as I'm approaching 80 years old in my game (FM2013) and even former England Manager Wazza has retired from football. I'm tempted to play on and see if it makes me retire or kills me off!! :D
-BARON-23- wrote:For me i loved Championship Manager 07/08 back in the day on my PS2 but i do get the new one each year! This one for me i just don't know where to start. The budgets are all too low and players' asking price is always too high. If you're West Ham manager for example you can only sign one player as you get 3 million... QPR is 4 million... Blackburn 200k etc. It's impossible. Heck even Arsenal at 40 million isn't enough as one player costs around 30 million minimum and he's not even better than what i have!
I've always relied on scouting and poaching the youth players that the game churns out every season,rather than splashing out on mercenaries who cost too much. There's nothing like having a youth team full of Messi's and Ronaldo's 8-)

I hope the system I use can be utilized in the new one!!

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27188
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:48 pm

Rover Ryan wrote: I think I will be getting this one however as I'm approaching 80 years old in my game (FM2013) and even former England Manager Wazza has retired from football. I'm tempted to play on and see if it makes me retire or kills me off!! :D
Play on! The longest I've ever gone is 20 seasons, building a world-dominating Bayer Leverkusen team. That was a good game because I first had to overtake Bayern Munich as the main club in Germany, then kick on to become the best in Europe, and then rebuild my team using regen players to maintain my success. But eventually it got a bit boring staying unbeaten every season.

User avatar
RoryoftheRovers
Regular international
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by RoryoftheRovers » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:21 pm

Rover Ryan wrote:Hi Rory,

When you mention the starring system are you on about when you get say 3 players at 5 stars signed in your team all your other players (and sometimes the new 5 star players) star ratings drop?
Exactly that. I say "flawed", it sounds like you're going to tell me it makes sense to you! My issue was scouting for players and finding that some players current abilities meant they were rated higher than others, but the stats never backed it up. I am PSG in 2036/37 season and I can't find any goalkeepers who are above 3 stars! - Surely this isn't right. I also have a Japanese centre back who's rated as 3 stars but achieved an average rating of 8.07 last season...

User avatar
RoryoftheRovers
Regular international
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by RoryoftheRovers » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:23 pm

Rover the Top wrote:I refuse to get suckered into buying a new version each year just because they've tweaked a couple of features. I'm still playing FM2010. It's fun to see how many of the hot prospects from it have actually become star names in real life...
You'll be suprised how far the game has come since 2010. Might be worth investing in the new one now that sufficient time has passed for the "new features" to become noticable?

User avatar
RoryoftheRovers
Regular international
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by RoryoftheRovers » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:25 pm

-BARON-23- wrote:For me i loved Championship Manager 07/08 back in the day on my PS2 but i do get the new one each year! This one for me i just don't know where to start. The budgets are all too low and players' asking price is always too high. If you're West Ham manager for example you can only sign one player as you get 3 million... QPR is 4 million... Blackburn 200k etc. It's impossible. Heck even Arsenal at 40 million isn't enough as one player costs around 30 million minimum and he's not even better than what i have!

Is this not more realistic though? While i know its a little ridiculous that Arsenal would have a bigger transfer spend, it's about wheeling and dealing!

Plus I have no idea how you played it on PS2! - Its got to be a PC / MAC based game all day!

User avatar
RoryoftheRovers
Regular international
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by RoryoftheRovers » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:28 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Rover Ryan wrote: I think I will be getting this one however as I'm approaching 80 years old in my game (FM2013) and even former England Manager Wazza has retired from football. I'm tempted to play on and see if it makes me retire or kills me off!! :D
Play on! The longest I've ever gone is 20 seasons, building a world-dominating Bayer Leverkusen team. That was a good game because I first had to overtake Bayern Munich as the main club in Germany, then kick on to become the best in Europe, and then rebuild my team using regen players to maintain my success. But eventually it got a bit boring staying unbeaten every season.
Great effort! Thats the love of the game. Longest game I've had is on last years version - quoted above. I have only ever had 1 save since i bought it, started as Rovers took them into top 4 and won FA cup, joined arsenal couldnt win the league so went to PSG and dominated for the past 5 seasons. Not remarkably successful but great fun. now in 2036/37, England have won 2 world cups and i've just steered them to a Euro Championship win against the odds. Only 1 player who is 4.5 stars and the rest are mainly 3 stars.

User avatar
Dan
Unemployed ex-pro
Posts: 6864
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:08 am
Contact:

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by Dan » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:41 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Rover Ryan wrote: I think I will be getting this one however as I'm approaching 80 years old in my game (FM2013) and even former England Manager Wazza has retired from football. I'm tempted to play on and see if it makes me retire or kills me off!! :D
Play on! The longest I've ever gone is 20 seasons, building a world-dominating Bayer Leverkusen team. That was a good game because I first had to overtake Bayern Munich as the main club in Germany, then kick on to become the best in Europe, and then rebuild my team using regen players to maintain my success. But eventually it got a bit boring staying unbeaten every season.

I used to do similar with Rovers, I'd pick them up and slowly turn them into the World's best team, sign up all the best players, go for consecutive seasons unbeaten and then get bored, see who's struggling down the bottom of League 2 and take over there instead (which is actually difficult in itself, a lot of clubs at that level won't employ a World Class manager).

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14789
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:51 pm

You need to win the world cup with San Marino to really demonstrate your skills.

User avatar
RoryoftheRovers
Regular international
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by RoryoftheRovers » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:56 pm

mrblackbat wrote:You need to win the world cup with San Marino to really demonstrate your skills.
:roll:

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17967
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by Gibbon » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:32 pm

Like Dan I play the handheld version these days as it reminds me of the early versions of CM.

I take on a conference north or south side and then get them promoted all to way to the Prem - once there I give my self no more than 2 seasons to try and win it, and if I fail, resign and take another team from the bottom tiers and repeat.

Currently playing Canvey Island. We're in the 2023 championship after consecutive promotions, and heading towards a prem league that contains my old clubs Woking and Dartmouth. :D

Post Reply