Football Manager Series

There must be more to life than football?
RoryoftheRovers
Regular international

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by RoryoftheRovers » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:27 pm

credit to you guys for taking small clubs all the way to the top - Its something I've never been able to do / had the patience for.

How do you start those saves? Do you look to secure a decent tactic first or scour the free transfers for some bargain players?!

I got sacked as Blackburn manager so have started up again with the less than impressive challenge of taking AC Milan to their rightful place at the top of world football. I didn't look at transfers at all, just a tactic that got the best out of my players.

I find it very difficult at the start to find a tactic good enough to keep me in a job. Then trying to tweak it gets difficult too, I suppose I don't fully understand the different options and think I'm playing in a certain style when I'm actually not. The latter versions of the game have got difficult due to the introduction of familiarity of formations - It becomes difficult to revlutionise the playing style after a seriously bad slump becuase no-one knows how to play 4-4-2!! I think their should be more fluidity to change formations from one game to another.

I tried playing the game in the faster arcade type mode (which you can select at the start of a new game now). I lasted about 30 minutes before restarting the game in the full football manager mode. The lack of detail was not enough for me, and the fact you "buy" a magic sponge from their online store to repair a players injury was just bullshit.

I tried playing the hand held versions once too, again lack of detail was a key factor. I remember random unrealistic transfers by the computer teams that I felt were too unrealistic. Generally I felt the game was largely unrealistic.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:08 pm

Me and Dan seem to be playing the same version - 2012 Handheld.

It's undoubtedly simpler than the desktop versions, but very similar to the the very early ones that I first fell in love with.

Also, I stopped playing the desktop version because it anchored me to one place in quite an anti social fashion. I can play this one on bus journeys or when insomnia strikes without too much hassle.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:22 pm

Gibbon wrote:Me and Dan seem to be playing the same version - 2012 Handheld.

It's undoubtedly simpler than the desktop versions, but very similar to the the very early ones that I first fell in love with.

Also, I stopped playing the desktop version because it anchored me to one place in quite an anti social fashion. I can play this one on bus journeys or when insomnia strikes without too much hassle.

2014 handheld for me at the moment, although I think I did play 2012 a while back until my old phone just died out of nowhere. It is simpler, which sometimes can be frustrating when certain things aren't going right and you know in the full version you could perhaps do something about it but handheld doesn't have the option. But as you say, it's much easier to just pick up and play when you've got a few minutes.

The most annoying thing I've found compared to the last 'real' version I played (probably 2008 or 2010) is transfers. There is such a difference between a value and the actual selling price that half the time it's not even worth bidding. Unfortunately though, scouts / coach reports don't take that into account when recommending players. Also, at the moment I can have my eye on a player for a while but as soon as I put a bid in 3 or 4 massive clubs come in straight away and better it which is annoying. I haven't had any luck asking the board for anything yet in my first 4 seasons on my latest game as Rovers.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:52 pm

I've found making an enquiry is invaluable with regard to getting transfers through quickly and avoiding getting gazzumped by bigger clubs. And scouts are useless with regards to sending them out on their own, I look at players in the bracket I can afford and then order a scout to report on promising candidates.

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:08 pm

I keep my players fit and never play anyone below 90% unless i'm desperate. They don't usually pick up injuries either, most of mine come in friendlies and training!

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:05 pm

Gibbon wrote: I look at players in the bracket I can afford and then order a scout to report on promising candidates.
Me too, but that's when the price seems to shoot up unreasonably and they're no longer in my price bracket. Might try more enquiries, I don't tend to bother very often but I guess that's how you find the selling price rather than the value.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:32 pm

Dan wrote:
Gibbon wrote: I look at players in the bracket I can afford and then order a scout to report on promising candidates.
Me too, but that's when the price seems to shoot up unreasonably and they're no longer in my price bracket. Might try more enquiries, I don't tend to bother very often but I guess that's how you find the selling price rather than the value.
It works very well, and although you pay a premium, it usually guarantees your first offer is accepted which can usually prevent a bigger club from snatching whoever. When I've built the club up a bit into a more attractive prospect, I quite often lead with an enquiry and then offer a little less...but it's a gamble.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:38 pm

Loans and free transfers are working quite well for me at the moment - I managed to blow my tiny budget on one player (who is banging the goals in, but the rest of the team is struggling at keeping them out). The plus side of managing Rovers is that a lot of the players are quite young, so even established squad players like Henley, Hanley, Lowe, Kean etc will happily disappear on loan for the year, allowing me to bring in someone better from a bigger club on loan with better stats for the season