Football Manager Series

There must be more to life than football?
User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27043
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:36 am

I'm not saying the club don't make budgets. :roll: My point was it won't happen like in the game, where on the same date every year, every club's manager is given a fixed amount that he can spend however he wants over the forthcoming season, regardless of what situations or financial obstacles the club have to deal with over that year. For example, lets say that you're sat in the bottom three of the PL heading into the January transfer window, and your top scoring striker breaks his leg. In the game, you've got whatever's left in the pot to spend on a replacement - you could press the "ask for more funds" button, but from my experience that results in a threat to fire you. In real life, you'd have a discussion with the board, they'd weigh up the cost of a new player against the cost of relegation, and maybe set a budget for bringing in a new striker, or maybe decide the club need to keep their costs down.

I had one game where Barcelona wouldn't let me offer Messi the wage he was already on to renew his contract, even though I was at least £500k under my budget. Realistically, he wouldn't accept the £40,000/week pay cut. Unrealistically, there was no option for me to go to the board and plead with them to make an exception for an exceptional player rather than let him walk away for free. Is anyone going to argue that would happen in real life? Maybe if it was Blackpool... :yeahright:

I appreciate they make changes every year, and that some of my examples may be out of date, but it's still only a game simulating running a football club from the football side. It's not an accurate recreation of doing an actual first team manager's job on a day to day basis.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14632
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:01 am

Rover the Top wrote:I'm not saying the club don't make budgets. :roll: My point was it won't happen like in the game, where on the same date every year, every club's manager is given a fixed amount that he can spend however he wants over the forthcoming season, regardless of what situations or financial obstacles the club have to deal with over that year. For example, lets say that you're sat in the bottom three of the PL heading into the January transfer window, and your top scoring striker breaks his leg. In the game, you've got whatever's left in the pot to spend on a replacement - you could press the "ask for more funds" button, but from my experience that results in a threat to fire you. In real life, you'd have a discussion with the board, they'd weigh up the cost of a new player against the cost of relegation, and maybe set a budget for bringing in a new striker, or maybe decide the club need to keep their costs down.

I had one game where Barcelona wouldn't let me offer Messi the wage he was already on to renew his contract, even though I was at least £500k under my budget. Realistically, he wouldn't accept the £40,000/week pay cut. Unrealistically, there was no option for me to go to the board and plead with them to make an exception for an exceptional player rather than let him walk away for free. Is anyone going to argue that would happen in real life? Maybe if it was Blackpool... :yeahright:

I appreciate they make changes every year, and that some of my examples may be out of date, but it's still only a game simulating running a football club from the football side. It's not an accurate recreation of doing an actual first team manager's job on a day to day basis.
No, but it also doesn't operate in the way that you suggest; I've played it and had the transfer budget altered several times in a season before, following player sales, takeovers, overspending, loan payments etc. :shrug: And that's in FM 2010, the one you're playing.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27043
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:19 pm

Player sales don't alter the season's budget. They alter what you've got remaining from your budget. The finance screen says as much. :shrug: This is apparently from FM2012, but it's no different in the older version. You can see "Transfer budget (season) = £802k" and "Transfer budget (remaining) = £170k". It would be a bit daft if after selling players for £x and buying players for £y, it told you still had exactly the same amount of funds to use on player trading as when you started... :lol:

I've never had a takeover affect the season budget, then again I've only ever had directors taking over from directors. I guess on the rare occasions when an Abramovich-type takes over, then maybe the game revises the budget to reflect the club's new-found riches, but that's an exceptional circumstance. And I've never had the budget altered because the club is suffering losses or has loans to repay. The club can be on the verge of bankruptcy and I'll still have the season's budget won't change. The only time I've known the season budget to change mid-season is when I've started the game with it disabled for the first window - in which case you get a message heading into the January window telling you funds are now available.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14632
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:42 pm

Semantics.

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13501
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:57 pm

You two bickering over semantics? Surely NOT! :D

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14632
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:00 pm

Well this "fixed" budget that can change during the season based on the financial position of the club clearly couldn't happen in the real world....

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27043
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:46 pm

mrblackbat wrote:Semantics.
That's what you've been arguing all along, isn't it? I'm taking it as a given that you don't think a computer game is as accurate to real life as doing the job itself. Certainly your latest point is no more than showing there could be some ambiguity over what's referred to as the "transfer budget" as it could refer to both the figure you started with and the amount you have left after some transfer activity. But then if you've followed the conversation through and are not severely obtuse, you'd know which I was talking about.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14632
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:44 pm

Not really no. The reality is, in the game, the transfer budget is not fixed. It fluctuates up and down depending on how you play the game and the events that take place in the game.

User avatar
RoryoftheRovers
Regular international
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by RoryoftheRovers » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:25 am

There is a new role included in this years FM named "Raumdeuter" a supposed translation of "Space investigator". It is explained as follows:

The Thomas Muller role: an attacking wide presence that looks for space rather than the ball, and in Football Manager terms plays almost like an Inside Forward who cuts inside without the ball. It has been argued on many FM sites, whether this role actually exists or simply as a term used to describe Muller exclusively. Many feel Muller has no real precedent in terms of style of play and positioning hence the creation of the term by German media.

In the game, the role certainly exists! and is one which i'm experimenting with Ben Marshall. Our play this year has revolved around him, and he is often drifting in off the wide position to pick up balls in the holes between the oppositions midfield and defence. Seeing as I have directed marshall to put balls into Rudy, hopefully this tactic will pay off. Having played the game, I think Marshall has been hard done by in terms of his creativity.

Incidentally, creativity is no longer an attribute being replaced by vision which is no doubt supported a players positioning, off the ball and flair stats.

There are other new roles added, roaming playmaker (Yaya Toure) and Inverted Wingback (I assume Danny Alves) - Which all look interesting.

My belief though is that when managing teams who are not in the upper echelons of world football it's better to keep it simple with more generic roles. I'm breaking the mould a little with setting Marshall as he is!

On another note, I signed Jamie O'Hara on a Free transfer as cover for my more creative CMs.

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17772
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by Gibbon » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:40 am

RoryoftheRovers wrote:There is a new role included in this years FM named "Raumdeuter" a supposed translation of "Space investigator". It is explained as follows:

The Thomas Muller role: an attacking wide presence that looks for space rather than the ball, and in Football Manager terms plays almost like an Inside Forward who cuts inside without the ball. It has been argued on many FM sites, whether this role actually exists or simply as a term used to describe Muller exclusively. Many feel Muller has no real precedent in terms of style of play and positioning hence the creation of the term by German media.
Varney! :hyper: ;)

User avatar
RoryoftheRovers
Regular international
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by RoryoftheRovers » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:44 am

Gibbon wrote:
RoryoftheRovers wrote:There is a new role included in this years FM named "Raumdeuter" a supposed translation of "Space investigator". It is explained as follows:

The Thomas Muller role: an attacking wide presence that looks for space rather than the ball, and in Football Manager terms plays almost like an Inside Forward who cuts inside without the ball. It has been argued on many FM sites, whether this role actually exists or simply as a term used to describe Muller exclusively. Many feel Muller has no real precedent in terms of style of play and positioning hence the creation of the term by German media.
Varney! :hyper: ;)
lol. Defensive Winger all day! Although, you can no longer set a DW in an attacking wingers position which is strange. Either that or as a defensive forward to close the game out... The Wilson out brigade will be on the forums about me soon...

User avatar
RoryoftheRovers
Regular international
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by RoryoftheRovers » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:27 pm

Bit of run down of my start as Rovers manager:

Rovers 2 - 3 Cardiff (Championship)- Generally outplayed, scored a late goal but they just shut up shop.
Rovers 3 - 1 Oldham (Capital One Cup)- Good performance and expected solid win
Blackpool 2 - 1 Rovers (Championship) - Another loss against a Blackpool side better than in real life
Norwich 1 - 0 Rovers (Championship) - Norwich good side, played OK but never really threatened to get into the game
Rovers 3 - 3 Bournemouth (Championship) - Great game, just shame my defense caved in every time I took the lead.
Rovers 0 - 2 Newcastle (Capital One Cup) - Surprisingly strong N'Castle team. Played well for an hour then caved
Wolves 1 - 2 Rovers (Championship) - Good hour of domination, consolation goal against the run of play. Decided to hold fast and limped over for my first win in the league!

****then I realised a new feature, Team talks from the side lines! Great innovation and something the Championship Manager (Post break up) series featured yonks ago. I'm just hap hazardly shouting things at the moment, but it does help to tell Lowe / Hanley to calm down. Encouraging players, telling them to concentrate and demanding more I think are great.

Rovers 3 - 1 Wigan - Great performance all round and it might just be because I found the in-match team talk function! Wigan were 4th going into this game, me 14th.
Rovers 3 - 2 Derby - Again Derby are flying high under Steve McLaren and a great win. Lowe got sent off (Missed the "calm down" instruction) after 30 mins after going 2-0 up then conceding. Tried to shore things up but then equalised. Changed the formation and King scored a screamer. Generally dominated the possession and shots on target even with 10 men.

Currently 10th after a shocking start. Really enjoying it, but happen to think it's got a little easier now I found the in-match team talks.

Current performances from my team:

Last 5 games - Grant Hanley 7.54, Ben Marshall - 7.50, Rudy Gestede 7.36, Josh King 7.32, Tom Cairney 7.20
Assists - Marshall 3, Rudy 2, Cairney 2, Rhodes 2, Lowe - 1
Goals - Rhodes 5, Marshall 4, Rudy 3, Varney 2 :lol: , Cairney 1.

Pretty reflective of real life don't you think? At least it's believable?

User avatar
-BARON-23-
Promising manager
Posts: 11073
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:45 am
Location: Blackpool - Home, Luton - University
Contact:

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by -BARON-23- » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:40 pm

I always find with the FM games that when you get a win you seem to win a few on the bounce and one loss can set you on such a horrible run of form. It's very rare that i've had a manager mode where i've had a random run of form

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27043
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:35 pm

Very true. It's also always seemed to me that each time I load up a game I get a swing in form. I can be on a long winning streak, save the game and turn it off, and suddenly lose the first game when I reload. Or I can follow an indifferent run of results one night with hammering all-comers the next. It happened to me last night - I was having a difficult run where I'd won just 2 in 12, I saved and closed down the game, and then won the next 6 on the trot when I loaded it up again. Maybe that''s the real secret to football management?

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17772
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by Gibbon » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:50 pm

Yes - I've noticed the swing in form when you reload a game later, I've had many teams who've seemed unbeatable in one session, then suddenly can't win for toffee when I try and continue the game at a later date. Very frustrating when you've worked your way into a strong position in a league, and I'm suspicious that it's designed to encourage you to keep playing once you're winning.

Also I've been suspicious for a while that it's designed to make me win games when I need sleep...if I ever fire it up after midnight I usually seem to go on a run that makes it very hard to put down. Buggers. :D

Post Reply