Banning the bouncer.

There must be more to life than football?
Rover Ryan
Ageing international

Banning the bouncer.

Post by Rover Ryan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:56 pm

So with the death of Phillip Hughes, will cricket follow suit like other sports have when tragedy has happened?

Personally I've never been a fan. I think people feeling shocked by this 'accident' need to take a delusion check. Throwing a solid ball aggressively into the ground so it bounces up towards the head is asking for serious injury.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more fatalities. I suppose the heavy duty head gear has kept the toll down!!
Last edited by Rover Ryan on Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

roversmillsy
Ageing international

Re: Banning the bouncer.

Post by roversmillsy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:36 pm

Never heard a more ridiculous suggestion in all my life. It was just a freak injury and it's such a shame that this tragic accident has happened but he is the first player I have known to have died from injuries received from a bouncer. More football players have died from head injuries received whilst trying to head a ball so do you think heading should be outlawed from the game of football??

Rover Ryan
Ageing international

Post by Rover Ryan » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:04 am

In all your life? Really? :yeahright:

I'll mark you down as against then. ;)

Hudson
Regular international

Post by Hudson » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:32 am

They'll probably just change the helmet design to:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:16 pm

Outlawing bouncers would be a disproportionate and impractical reaction. The chances of being hit on the head by a bouncer are small, as the batsman knows the ball is coming at him and will take some form of evasive action. Players wear protective headgear for the rare times they fail to get out the way. That's why it's not a surprise that there hasn't been fatalities before, this was an unusual accident leading to a very unusual injury. Maybe there's ways in which the helmets can be improved further, but it's been pointed out that the latest design would have prevented this incident.

In any case, banning bouncers would not prevent them being bowled - beamers are illegal as per the rules but still get bowled by accident. As with most things in life, there is a risk of tragedy when things go wrong, but in this case it's a tiny risk and there's better ways to approach it.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:05 am

And Michael Clarke retires hurt from the Australia v India test after hurting his back avoiding a short ball.

I think the support that's being shown for Abbot is really great though. I think it's highlighting that it really was a freak accident, and no blame can be put at his door.