New TV Advice

There must be more to life than football?
Joe
Ageing international

New TV Advice

Post by Joe » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:42 pm

So my girlfriends gone and bought a flat, and I've been tasked with buying the technology.

I'm a bit out of the loop re new TVs and what they can and cannot do.....

Basically are there things I should avoid, ie gimmicks I don't need?

Also we've spent the last year with a laptop on the floor by the TV connected via HDMI which we've used for iPlayer, sky go, btsport, Netflix, (illegal downloads....joking ;) :? )

Can modern TVs accommodate all this without the need for a laptop plugged in? Like via a USB? Or apps on these smart TVs??

Any tips appreciated.

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Re: New TV Advice

Post by iamarover » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:50 pm

I don't know about the Tv itself, but things like Google Chromecast and Amazon Fire stickwill plug into the back of modern tellys and connect via WiFi to Amazon, Netflix, your network etc.

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:06 pm

Thanks!

Looks good!

And now a really dumb question which I imagine I know the answer too. (and that I could easily google....but your experience of picture quality/ format support may help). Can you just plug a USB storage into new TVs nowadays and play downloaded HD quality films/tv?

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:08 pm

Joe wrote:Thanks!

Looks good!

And now a really dumb question which I imagine I know the answer too. (and that I could easily google....but your experience of picture quality/ format support may help). Can you just plug a USB storage into new TVs nowadays and play downloaded HD quality films/tv?
Just bought this from Richer Sounds, but not had time to do more than plug it in to check the screen. Will let you know in a week or so when I have it all set up (got to install a freeview aerial in the loft), but all the reviews said I could just plug in a hard drive or a USB stick to watch or record stuff.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:53 am

I've definitely seen ones that do... However I wonder what the point is (and the point of "smart" TV's in general)

There will be a limit to the formats that work... And the menu navigation is always terrible. Better off with a Chromecast and a tablet says I.

(Not that I do... I have aa crappy 26 inch TV and play most things through my x box)

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:45 am

Don't forget that Samsung smart TV's will be recording everything you say for the thought police to check up on....

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:30 pm

Surely you mean the say police... The thought police capture your thoughts through the "free" insulation the government installs.