Current Events/News

There must be more to life than football?
mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re: Current Events/News

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:38 am

Thorisgodpoo wrote:This is what happens when you empower people.
Fixed for you. Democracy has always been a terrible idea.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:18 am

mrblackbat wrote:The most worrying thing is that he has the most power of any president for donkeys, with a supreme court judge position up for appointment to skew that republican, a republic senate and a republican house of reps. He'll be able to get through whatever he wants.

Hopefully, the eased rhetoric of his victory speech might indicate that the campaign has been a charade and he's not as much a bigot as made out and that was simply to appeal to a huge portion of the American people. That to me is the saddest part, that there are so many people who lap that shit up. Also, when you do get policy from him, he is actually more liberal than the likes of Ted Cruz, so there is that. Lastly, the comments on Obamacare aren't as bad as they've been made out; sounds more like replacing it with something that works rather than removing it completely. Due to the concessions made in its implementation it's clear that it isn't really working (much like our NHS) and so perhaps a rethink isn't a bad idea.

Clutching at straws? Probably. :paranoid:
Obama had a majority in both in his first term... can't remember whether he quite got the supermajority in the senate or not (I thought he did, wikipedia seems to say not). But you're right... given his and Pence's position on abortion, LGBT, etc. An ultra right wing supreme court judge could well be the most damaging thing he does in office.

The speech was less batshit, but it shows if anything how much of a farce his candidacy is in the first place. I thing negligence is as much of a danger as pushing a crazy ideology. Isn't that basically what we had with Bush... play golf for a couple of years and then rush into a war to sew up a second term?
mrblackbat wrote:
Thorisgodpoo wrote:This is what happens when you empower people.
Fixed for you. Democracy has always been a terrible idea.
Not this again... :roll: :lol:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:58 am

I definitely agree on the likelihood of negligence as being the biggest likely problem. I can totally see him getting bored of playing president and fucking off after a year, especially if he doesn't get his way on something (like more golf courses).

I also don't really know that he does hold all those opinions either, or if he just said it to win; I actually yhink the latter more likely. I can see there being big outcry when it turns out that he doesn't ban abortion, doesn't relax gun laws, doesn't enforce banning Muslim entry to the country and so on. His public opinions over the years are so contradictory (supported both Democrats and Republicans at times) that I don't really know what to believe, which is more dangerous than anything. He might just as much drop a nuke on France as Russia or North Korea....

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:32 am

Does he still do The Apprentice? He could use it to hire staff with as much political experience as himself.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:26 pm

Of all the terribleness his potential impact on the environment is one of the areas I'm saddest about most.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:04 pm

I know global warming's an issue, but will one trump really make much difference? :)

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:08 pm

:lol:

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:06 pm

:mygod:

WacoRover
Experienced international star
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:22 pm

mrblackbat wrote:Does anyone find the American election system completely bonkers? Particularly that they announce the results before counting the votes?
I don't find it bonkers at all. I am an American, & I vote.

Three time zones in the Continental U.S. I am sure exit polling accounted for the immediate announcement upon polls closing that California was a "blue" state...ditto for Hawaii, Oregon, etc.

New Hampshire & Michigan electoral votes have still not been awarded to Trump or Clinton. Too close to call...over 4 1/2 million voters in Michigan, & Trump leads by less than 12,000 votes.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:33 am

So you don't find announcing results from exit polls completely and utterly insane? Had that been done in the UK at the last election, we'd have a different government than we do now. What's the point in actually having a vote? Might as well just have an exit poll....

I think three time zones is even MORE a reason not to announce results until all the votes have actually been counted, instead of using projections! I was absolutely astonished when they were showing the actual polling results in New Hampshire from places (albeit tiny) before the polling stations had even voted somewhere else.

That there are some places that are "too close to call" shows just how daft it is to use projected results at all; if you simply count all the votes, you get a result. Simple. Given thst the president doesn't get inaugurated for a couple of months, its not a problem to simply wait a little bit....

Perhaps its being from the UK where we rather sensibly ban media coverage of the election whilst its taking place, then we actually count up all the votes to see who won, and have an official office to announce them instead of letting the press decide......

The whole American system is, well... in the words of General Anthony Clement "Nuts" McAuliffe.... NUTS!

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:26 am

Thorisgodpoo wrote:This is what happens when you empower the white working class people and find a way to separate the other races. This election has proved that people are stuck in an idealist world where scathing remarks can be made about people and nothing will be done about it.

I never felt such a divide between the college graduate educated and the working class.
Indeed, damn the working class and their right to an opinion... Certainly in the UK, the left seem to view workers (aka "the majority") as mindless drones whose sole purpose is to pay taxes. And then they're surprised that they're losing votes to a hard right party like UKIP. People generally don't vote for handouts for others if it means hardship for themselves. It's something lefties with secure, comfy jobs don't seem able to grasp, despite their superior education. And they're not going to win anyone back over by treating those that voted the other way with contempt.

WacoRover
Experienced international star
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:33 pm

The college graduate/lefty liberals phenomena is at work here in Texas...in Austin, Dallas, & El Paso. All my friends are college grads, generally in business, medicine & education, pay high taxes already, & almost all vote Republican. Most of the poor & ignorant here vote Democrat- as a way of perpetuating their poverty & ignorance, I'm afraid.

$660/month Social Security doesn't go very far, but housing, food stamps, AFDC, and Medicare can make it very comfortable to do nothing, & contribute nothing, I guess.

By & large, the liberal Democrats are in the northeast, great lakes, & Pacific Northwest, & in heavily populated areas. If Keith Ellison is the new face of the Democratic party, & their new party chair, I would be willing to bet a 3rd party forms rather quickly. I can't imagine the rank & file Democrat being pleased about that.

Thorisgodpoo
Regular international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:39 pm

I don't deny anybody a right to an opinion. Even if it is one of such dangerously racist and misogynistic as the campaign has shown. I just believe people should be held accountable for their borderline hate speech.

Trump could be good, he could also be bad, all I know is that a lot of the low information voters looked at the fact it was someone with no experience ad an outsider, not the fact he will have inherent conflicts of interest with his business dealings as a billionaire.

I come from a working class background, have worked with them, know their opinions, and also have the fortune of working with the educated. Essentially, it came down to who would be more beneficial to the working class, and unfortunately Trump is that person, regardless of what his past business practices say about him.

This is also coming from someone who votes outside the two main parties.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:43 pm

I'd be surprised if Trump actually acts on his campaign promises now he's in. His rhetoric has already drastically changed: no more abandoning obamacare, no more putting Clinton behind bars. Its obvious that a wall between the US and Mexico will never get built.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:22 pm

And yet only the other day he was re-affirming his intentions to either deport or incarcerate 2-3 million illegal immigrants.