Current Events/News

There must be more to life than football?
Ethiaa
Site Admin

Re: Current Events/News

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:06 pm

I suppose he could have tried the next train - which may well have had no seats available - but I assume he has better things to do.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:17 pm

I've not had a problem on a Virgin train for as long as I can remember. But then I book my seat. I've never worked out what's so hard about that part of rail travel.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:32 pm

mrblackbat wrote:I've not had a problem on a Virgin train for as long as I can remember. But then I book my seat. I've never worked out what's so hard about that part of rail travel.
Have you never booked a trip where it says reservations are not possible? Because I have.

And I can remember several occasions where the digital reservation displays all went tits up.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:34 pm

Nope. I've never, ever had a problem being unable to book a seat on a train where you can book a seat.

As for the latter, I've never had a problem getting a seat when all the reservations are screwed up either.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:33 pm

You're a very lucky man then. I take it the bulk of your travel has been on Virgin trains then?

*Edit...having just been on the Virgin trains website, it's now MUCH easier to book a seat than it used to be. And thinking about it now, the last time I travelled by train was probably 10 years ago, so the entire system has probably changed beyond recognition. Suffice to say, my experiences with Virgin were particularly terrible.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:38 pm

Still terrible... Use them fairly regularly. though far from the worst. Provide a bare bones service for a very premium price tag.

The website has got better though

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:38 pm

Gibbon wrote:You're a very lucky man then. I take it the bulk of your travel has been on Virgin trains then?

*Edit...having just been on the Virgin trains website, it's now MUCH easier to book a seat than it used to be. And thinking about it now, the last time I travelled by train was probably 10 years ago, so the entire system has probably changed beyond recognition. Suffice to say, my experiences with Virgin were particularly terrible.
Yes a spent a fair whack travelling between Blackburn and Horsham or Hemel in the mid 2000s. And still use then when i want to go to London or Edinburgh. Never ever had a problem, other than with other customers on the train.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:52 am

More emerging about the Corbyn story.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:58 am

Definitely agree with the people talking about no luggage space, been a problem sonce the new style trains were introduced. Need to get luggage cars.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:52 am

Gibbon wrote:More emerging about the Corbyn story.
echo echo echo echo ECHO!

Honestly, you've gone to a Corbynite propaganda site for "more" info? :lol: That article is bollocks as proven by just going back to the Virgin statement. They did produce that picture of him walking past reserved seats, they say in the statement coach F had empty reserved seats. But they also produced a picture of him walking through coach H, Image which had empty unreserved seats. And that's where he returned, to an empty unreserved seat, when he finished filming at 11:40 (this before the train made it's first stop in York at 12:50).

I think the strangest thing about him is that he's attracted this cultist following that want to cover up even the most blatant gaffe as though he's above criticism (back to the parallels with Trump). It detracts from the actual argument - there are trains that are crowded, even if the one he was on wasn't. The problem isn't that he lied, all politicians do that, even St. Jeremy. The real issue is what he's proposing would make things much, much worse. Why would any sane person want to renationalise the railways? History and economics show it would only make the service less efficient, outdated, overcrowded, etc. And it would cost taxpayers an eye-watering amount that isn't there to spend. If you want to tackle crowded trains, try something that might actually work! :idea: Perhaps in making himself look an arse with the video, he's actually saved himself getting slaughtered over his head-in-the-sand idealism. :yeahright:

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:59 am

Maybe the passengers were all midgets or at the food bar. ;-)

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:09 am

Who all jumped off a moving train half an hour later? :lol: Sure, seems more plausible than Corbyn and his team decided to make a film about crowded trains, but for convenience chose to do it on one that turned out not to be crowded without considering the fallout if they were found out... :?

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:01 am

:lol:

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:08 pm

Rover the Top
Experienced manager