Current Events/News

There must be more to life than football?
mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re: Current Events/News

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:38 am

Yes, but if you're going to ban people from gathering publically then you have to do it whatever the message. You can't pick and choose, it goes against freedom of speech and the point of it. And then you're being fascist.

wrinks_89
Valued squad member

Post by wrinks_89 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:12 am

That's not what I'm saying. Everyone has the right to their own opinion. The video clearly depicts people being racist and encouraging rough behaviour. I'm saying that allowing that to happen is what is wrong. People at the rallies have the right to be their but when that goes on those individuals should be ejected.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:18 pm

Same applies to all sorts of rallies though. The anti austerity rallies in Manchester last year spring to mind, they got as rough. Should we stop people protesting against that for the same reason?

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:42 pm

Wrinks isn't suggesting that the rallies be stopped though, just that those that overstep the mark in displaying blatantly racist behaviour are thrown out and/or arrested.

I'm not sure what the U.S. laws are regarding hate speech, but if it were in this country they'd be arrested. Free speech allows them to say it, but they should also bear the consequences of their words if they cross the line as set down by the law.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:08 pm

I know, so we should have been arresting all thise who overstepped the mark last year. One could argue a certain Labour leader was inciting the same kind of reaction too as Trump to his meatheaded supporters.

The hate speech laws here are fundamentally contradictory alongside freedom of speech. Especially given the fairly arbitrary decisions of which kinds of hate fall under their rules.

If you truly want free speech, then you have to be prepared to gear stuff you don't want to.

wrinks_89
Valued squad member

Post by wrinks_89 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:23 pm

Thanks Gibs! That's exactly what I'm trying to get across. I'm not saying that we should all be entitled to free speech, unless it's something we don't want to hear personally. I just feel that allowing that kind of behaviour to continue is asking for trouble and those who are racist etc should face consequences.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:57 am

Diving pool in Rio mysteriously turns green

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:05 am

The Russian divers were peeing in the pool?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:13 pm

You don't need to go that far, the Russian divers just dived in the pool.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:51 am

mrblackbat wrote:I know, so we should have been arresting all thise who overstepped the mark last year. One could argue a certain Labour leader was inciting the same kind of reaction too as Trump to his meatheaded supporters.
Supporters of either side probably think they're polar opposites of each other, but from the outside they look very similar.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:30 am

Although, from what I can see, they're separated by a vast IQ chasm.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:34 am

Gibbon wrote:Although, from what I can see, they're separated by a vast IQ chasm.
You're not looking very hard then.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:55 am

I'm looking pretty hard. Seriously, you're comparing Trump supporters to Corbyn supporters?

While I'd agree there's similar levels of fanaticism, the differences are both important and glaringly visible.

Are you trolling?

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:00 am

Gibbon wrote:I'm looking pretty hard. Seriously, you're comparing Trump supporters to Corbyn supporters?

While I'd agree there's similar levels of fanaticism, the differences are both important and glaringly visible.

Are you trolling?
No. Are you? Collectively, both are supporting extreme candidates for self-serving motivations, oblivious to what's in the interests or wants of the majority of the country. Both assume they know better than everyone else as to what's good for everyone else, dismiss any opposition as some force of evil and look within their little bubble to reaffirm that they are on the road to revolution. The irony being, they're only strengthening the position of the opposition as they drive away traditional supporters of their own party.

I'm sure there's individuals who can score high in IQ tests in both camps. But collectively they're both similarly stupid.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:48 am

Rover the Top wrote:Collectively, both are supporting extreme candidates for self-serving motivations, oblivious to what's in the interests or wants of the majority of the country. Both assume they know better than everyone else as to what's good for everyone else, dismiss any opposition as some force of evil and look within their little bubble to reaffirm that they are on the road to revolution. The irony being, they're only strengthening the position of the opposition as they drive away traditional supporters of their own party.
Crikey! I'm not sure which Corbyn supporters you've been talking to, but that's an unrecognisable definition with regards to the ones I know, myself included.
RTT wrote:Both assume they know better than everyone else as to what's good for everyone else
Although this bit is true, but then point me at a political party that doesn't believe that?