Hubble Images and Space Stuff

There must be more to life than football?
Jim
Experienced international star

Re: Hubble Images and Space Stuff

Post by Jim » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:55 pm

Yeah I didn’t realise at the time but the centre rocket of the three failed to reignite two of the three landing engines and as such hit the water just alongside the drone ship at over 300 mph. Total loss but it was never intended to be reused so not too critical.

It caused quite a bit of damage to the drone ship too apparently.

The images of Starman in the Tesla with the earth in the background were just awesome, absolutely breathtaking and a completely unexpected bonus! I’ve been following this project for years and never knew they planned a live stream from orbit.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:10 pm

Reusable rockets that aren't intended to be reused..... :yeahright:

Jim
Experienced international star

Post by Jim » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:18 pm

Hehehe yeah a bit of an oxymoron but Elon Musk himself said he actually expected an explosion on the launch pad or just above, so understandable really that they didn’t hold much hope in reusing them.

Sounds like the whole exercise was more of a demonstration to the US military that they could put satellites into high-earth orbit (which only the larger, more powerful rockets can do).

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:48 pm

I have a lot of time for musk... Sell me a Tesla, a ticket for the hyperloop and a few hundred solar roof slates... I'm buying. Hell, he even named his drone ships after culture ships.

However he did have a whiff of the confidence trickster. The month he is about to post record losses is also coincidentally the month he shoots a car into space. Nothing matters as long as the investors keep the taps running.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:06 pm

Remember Nikolai Tesla died penniless... :yeahright: