Dallas Cowboys thread of dominance.

There must be more to life than football?
mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re: Dallas Cowboys thread of dominance.

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:34 am

theadore wrote:Wildcard round went largely as expected I guess.... but some very tasty semi's in the making.

Patriots should be too much for the Texans, and Steelers looked very dangerous so would expect them to overwhelm the Chiefs. Falcons/Seahawks and Cowboys/Packers should be cracking games. I was expecting the Packers to finally come unstuck again, and expect them to again.... but they have a chance if they play against Dallas like they did second half against the Giants. Falcons are probably underdogs on paper, but Matt Ryan/Julio Jones can surely score against anyone at the moment.
Nah I think the Chiefs will beat the Steelers. They were picking up some steam again after the Titans loss, and I think they have the little bits of special game changers (Tyreek Hill) that will make the difference. Still a massive shame about Derek Carr breaking his leg; Oakland with him starting had the making of New England, I think.

Difficult to pick on the other side though; Cowboys have been playing well all year, but Green Bay destroyed a very strong New York Giants defence in that second half. Falcons/Seahawks will be interesting, Ryan's had an amazing season and it'll be interesting how the strong Seahawks secondary fare. I don't think they're as strong as a few years back. Having said that, Russel Wilson, Jimmy Graham and Doug Baldwin are all really hitting form at the right time too.

Jim
Experienced international star

Post by Jim » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:13 am

Patriots aren't getting smashed by anybody, as much as you want it to happen. Only the Bills managed it this season against our third string QB so, keep on hoping.

Rodgers was incredibly lucky at the weekend but man am I delighted they took the Giants out of the picture! As I'm sure Waco is too.

Agree that there are some stonking good matchups this weekend. I'm not taking anything for granted, I think they will all be close games.

Lots of all-round good teams left in the mix.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:11 am

Oakland with Carr would have beaten them. To be honest, New England played only two good teams this year; the steelers and the Seahawks, beating the former prior to them picking up form and getting spanked by the latter.

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:25 am

I don't think Oakland with Carr would have beaten us, it would have been a close game, granted, but nobody takes away a team's best offensive player than the Patriots do. Plus, our defense has been playing lights out since the Seattle game.

As for their schedule, playing the Dolphins twice (who made the playoffs), the Bengals, Cardinals, Denver and the Ravens, who all had good defenses, isn't an easy schedule. You can only beat what's put in front of you and that's the same ethos they will take into this week. Houston will be a challenge on defense but that offense is woeful.

Its going to be tough to make the Superbowl however, especially with Pittsburgh on the horizon as I think they are a much better team now than the Chiefs are and I strongly believe that for all the hype this Tyreek Hill is getting, you can nullify him on kickoffs by simply kicking it out the endzone, or if you're willing to take the penalty, out of bounds. Pittsburgh have arguably one of, if not the, best kickers in the league so I can really see them nullifying him. That and the speed and tenacity of that Steelers defense. I cannot see the Chiefs getting past them, especially with Andy Reid's notoriously bad clock management.

That said, this year more than ever, home field advantage seems to be crucial and its going to be tough for all the away teams to win. They say "Any Given Sunday" for a reason.

My predictions are:

Texans @ Patriots - Patriots Win
Steelers @ Chiefs - Steelers Win

Seahawks @ Hawks - Seahawks Win
Packers @ Cowboys - Cowboys Win

My reasoning for Green Bay losing in Dallas is more than simply home field advantage. Rodgers was VERY lucky in the game last weekend and I can't see that luck translating to a win on the road in Dallas. He's lost Jordy Nelson with what could be broken ribs, punctured lung and maybe even a damaged spleen after that cheap shot hit by the Giants cornerback. Also the Packers defence have lost a lot of players this season and a few more went down against the Giants.

As for Seattle vs Atlanta... Atlanta have weapons on offense and they remind me a lot of the Pats in '07. Big plays galore etc, but I think they are too unbalanced towards their offence and Seattle have too good a coach and defense to be dominated the way Atlanta have been beating teams down the stretch. This will be a very close one though.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:40 am

Jim wrote:I don't think Oakland with Carr would have beaten us, it would have been a close game, granted, but nobody takes away a team's best offensive player than the Patriots do. Plus, our defense has been playing lights out since the Seattle game.

As for their schedule, playing the Dolphins twice (who made the playoffs), the Bengals, Cardinals, Denver and the Ravens, who all had good defenses, isn't an easy schedule. You can only beat what's put in front of you and that's the same ethos they will take into this week. Houston will be a challenge on defense but that offense is woeful.

Its going to be tough to make the Superbowl however, especially with Pittsburgh on the horizon as I think they are a much better team now than the Chiefs are and I strongly believe that for all the hype this Tyreek Hill is getting, you can nullify him on kickoffs by simply kicking it out the endzone, or if you're willing to take the penalty, out of bounds. Pittsburgh have arguably one of, if not the, best kickers in the league so I can really see them nullifying him. That and the speed and tenacity of that Steelers defense. I cannot see the Chiefs getting past them, especially with Andy Reid's notoriously bad clock management.

That said, this year more than ever, home field advantage seems to be crucial and its going to be tough for all the away teams to win. They say "Any Given Sunday" for a reason.
The Dolphins were terrible this year. They only got into the playoffs because the route in is ridiculously easy. Denver, Arizona, Baltimore and the Bungles are shadows of the teams they were.

Take the Cowboys, for example, they had wins over the Packers, Steelers, Redskins, Lions, had to face the Giants, and played both the Bucaneers and Vikings whilst they were in the playoff slots. Far more impressive records.

Whereas New England got easy games against the awful Jets (twice), the terrible Rams, the rubbish 49ers and the utterly appalling Browns. Just missing the Jaguars and Bears for the streak in playing all of the worst teams in the NFL.

The Texans when Brock Osweiler didn't look as if he knew what the game was, a poor Dolphins team (twice) and you lost one of those, the Cardinals and Bengals (in the bottom 9 teams this year) who are nowhere near as good as previous years. The real class team of the Seahawks beat you comfortably.

It was a ludicrously easy schedule.

WacoRover
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:04 am

Glad me & mrblackbat find something to agree on!

Tomorrow is a huge day for Dallas. The team is healthy, the defense is playing better, depth is great, etc.

Atlanta will be a worthy foe, for Dallas or Green Bay.

WacoRover

Post by WacoRover » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:38 pm

Cowboys fail to show up. Horsecrap not running Elliott on 3rd & 2. Kick a field goal. Ballgame.

WacoRover

Post by WacoRover » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:10 pm

Witten tripped & held on the goal-line; no call. Who are these clowns in striped shirts?

WacoRover

Post by WacoRover » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:09 am

Rodgers gives Dallas help... we can't hope for anything else.

And, the defense has to get a stop.

WacoRover

Post by WacoRover » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:25 am

2-pt play...

WacoRover

Post by WacoRover » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:26 am

YES!!! Dax!

WacoRover

Post by WacoRover » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:30 am

The seeds of doubt have been sown in GB...

Emmitt Smith & Tony Dorsett, dancin' in their private box! :lol:

WacoRover

Post by WacoRover » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:51 am

Bailey!

WacoRover

Post by WacoRover » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:02 am

Well, next year for Rovers & Cowboys.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:35 am

:D

What a game. Feel for Dallas, but there is something special there with Elliott and Prescott. Might not be next year but wouldn't bet against them winning the big one eventually.

Epic last couple of plays by green bay... Mason Crosby is absolute nails... Three 50+ kicks with the game on the line.