Dallas Cowboys thread of dominance.

There must be more to life than football?
Ethiaa
Site Admin

Re: Dallas Cowboys thread of dominance.

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:16 am

My Packers/Steelers only fantasy playoff challenge team marches on!

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:29 am

Winrar... Might be losing both next round though.

How did you do in the regular season? Seem to remember you drafting Elliott so can't have been to bad.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:41 am

theadore wrote:Winrar... Might be losing both next round though.

How did you do in the regular season? Seem to remember you drafting Elliott so can't have been to bad.
Top of the league, won the playoffs. It was a bit of a walkover TBH - I had Luck AND Ryan, Zeke and DeMarco Murray and Jordan Howard and Spencer Ware and Mike Evans and T.Y.Hilton. Oh, and Delanie Walker and Cameron Brate. It could have been a bit more competitive!

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:47 pm

theadore wrote::D

What a game. Feel for Dallas, but there is something special there with Elliott and Prescott. Might not be next year but wouldn't bet against them winning the big one eventually.

Epic last couple of plays by green bay... Mason Crosby is absolute nails... Three 50+ kicks with the game on the line.
Yeah, I think Dallas is getting closer. Gotta add more defense, though, a rusher& strong safety in the mold of Darren Woodson would be nice.

Packers also had 2, " once in a lifetime " catches on the sideline.

Just the fact Dallas came back to tie it at 28, after being down by 13, gave me a rush.

Jim
Experienced international star

Post by Jim » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:50 pm

Now I'm no coach, though I've done it once or twice on the side for my local amateur side, but on 3rd and long with the game on the line, going soft zone coverage and rushing only 3 when aggressive blitzing was so effective at containing Rodgers? Absolutely insane.

The Cowboys defensive coordinator needs to take all the criticism for that IMO. Dak and co have NOTHING to be ashamed of, they took part in the greatest game of football I've ever watched. Just brilliant throughout.

No way Rodgers should have been given that amount of time to complete that pass... even as brilliant a "pitch and catch" as it was.

I've got a post coming with my review of the four games this weekend but I'm still watching the Steelers vs Chiefs game.

Needless to say it goes something like this:

Seahawks @ Atlanta: Offensive Dominance
Texans @ New England: Lucky escape

Packers @ Dallas: Wow!
Steelers @ KC: Snoozefest (so far!)

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:29 pm

Jim wrote:Now I'm no coach, though I've done it once or twice on the side for my local amateur side, but on 3rd and long with the game on the line, going soft zone coverage and rushing only 3 when aggressive blitzing was so effective at containing Rodgers? Absolutely insane.

The Cowboys defensive coordinator needs to take all the criticism for that IMO. Dak and co have NOTHING to be ashamed of, they took part in the greatest game of football I've ever watched. Just brilliant throughout.

No way Rodgers should have been given that amount of time to complete that pass... even as brilliant a "pitch and catch" as it was.)
Jim,
Your observations are excellent. Dallas' staff was totally outcoached last night. It began with the opening drive, Linehan called a silly long pass on 3rd & 2, when Dallas had the best back & line in the league!?! Jackassery

But, its also accurate to say Dallas is 2-3 defenders short of having a championship-calibre defense. The offense is top-notch (when coached correctly), but Witten won't last forever. Akso, their oldest lineman, Doug Free, had a procedure & holding on consecutive drives that hurt them. And, there were a couple of drops. ARGH!

Still, I have to be happy they fought back from 15 down.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:20 pm

Waco - forgive me if this is obvious I tend to only loosely follow the NFL... what is the Cowboy's plan for QB next season... are they sticking with Precott and building for the future or might they go back to Romo after a full off-season to prepare?

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:49 pm

theadore wrote:Waco - forgive me if this is obvious I tend to only loosely follow the NFL... what is the Cowboy's plan for QB next season... are they sticking with Precott and building for the future or might they go back to Romo after a full off-season to prepare?
Yeah, I believe Prescott is the QB going forward. Romo at 37 is simply too long in the tooth & too brittle. Hopefully, Dallas can get something for him (unlike Demarcus Ware, for whom we got zilch).

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:52 pm

Another thing on Prescott... he has all the intangibles you want in a starting quarterback. He doesn't throw into double or triple coverages. He views the whole field well, he has decent arm strength, and he can run the ball on occasion (although in the NFL you don't want to quarterback running all the time). It appears his teammates have a lot of respect for him as the field general.

He is pretty much the total package.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:59 pm

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:56 pm

For me, Atlanta and Green Bay look to be the better sides. Best two QBs in the league at present.

Patriots should beat Big Ben's Steelers; but I would love to see the Steelers through as it'll make for a more interesting SuperBowl.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:23 pm

The last Green Bay Atlanta game was a bit of a farce. 2 great offences and 2 woeful defenses. The commentators called it as "who ever gets the last drive will win" in the first quarter and it played out that way.

I reckon le'veon bell could make the AFC a close match, even if they are among the stingiest teams in the league... but still expect the patriots to go through.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:16 am

WacoRover wrote:Another thing on Prescott... he has all the intangibles you want in a starting quarterback. He doesn't throw into double or triple coverages. He views the whole field well, he has decent arm strength, and he can run the ball on occasion (although in the NFL you don't want to quarterback running all the time). It appears his teammates have a lot of respect for him as the field general.

Pretty much what I thought. Didn't realise Romo was 37... although he's always been pretty favoured by the owner hasn't he? The smart move must be to move on without him... I guess Oswieler and some of the other QB moves last time proves that there are still desperate teams out there that will take a punt on Romo.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:30 pm

theadore wrote:
WacoRover wrote:Another thing on Prescott... he has all the intangibles you want in a starting quarterback. He doesn't throw into double or triple coverages. He views the whole field well, he has decent arm strength, and he can run the ball on occasion (although in the NFL you don't want to quarterback running all the time). It appears his teammates have a lot of respect for him as the field general.

Pretty much what I thought. Didn't realise Romo was 37... although he's always been pretty favoured by the owner hasn't he? The smart move must be to move on without him... I guess Oswieler and some of the other QB moves last time proves that there are still desperate teams out there that will take a punt on Romo.
Yeah, teams want to pull off what Denver did with Peyton Manning.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:12 pm