Any audiophiles here.....

There must be more to life than football?
Joe
Ageing international

Any audiophiles here.....

Post by Joe » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:47 pm

Not that I'm one. Just need some advice.

Got a marantz amp connected up to some tannoys and the sound is lovely.

However in terms of source input I'm just connecting my laptop up with an rca to 3.5 cable. (i know i should get a dac btw....). I'm wondering though if anything exists to do this wirelessly without compromising sound too much? So I don't have to have my laptop down by the amp when I want to listen to music.

EDIT

Found this...... http://www.audiostream.com/content/audi ... AXLT1uA.97

Can't afford that... But I think that's what I need if I don't want to compromise sound right?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re: Any audiophiles here.....

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:09 pm

If you want good quality audio, shielded cables is where its at.

If you want to reduce the quality, add a load of noise and so on, go wireless.

You don't need a DAC (digital to audio convertor) from your laptop because you already are doing that from your audio output on your laptop.

HOWEVER. Seeing as you're using your laptop, chances are you're using mp3s, so all of the above is going to be totally irrelevant, as you'll have lost enough quality simply through the mpeg compression. So just get a bluetooth connector and use that.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:17 pm

Pi as media streamer. Job done.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:20 pm

A Pi would definitely be a fun way of solving the problem.

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:48 pm

mrblackbat wrote: HOWEVER. Seeing as you're using your laptop, chances are you're using mp3s, so all of the above is going to be totally irrelevant, as you'll have lost enough quality simply through the mpeg compression. So just get a bluetooth connector and use that.
Mostly flac

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:54 pm

mrblackbat wrote:If you want good quality audio, shielded cables is where its at.

If you want to reduce the quality, add a load of noise and so on, go wireless.

You don't need a DAC (digital to audio convertor) from your laptop because you already are doing that from your audio output on your laptop.
I knew the first bit. But I obviously want to try wireless if it can be done, hence the questions.

Didn't realise the latterpoint. So thanks

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:55 pm

Ethiaa wrote:Pi as media streamer. Job done.
What's Pi?

(except all the other kinds of Pi)

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:00 pm

Raspberry Pi...

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-ways-set ... ia-server/

You could also use Chromecast I guess - easier to setup...

https://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chromecast/audio/

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:07 pm

Edit... Oops wrong quote

Surely something like... http://m.richersounds.com/#!/product/AUDI-DRAGONFLY-BLK

Would be better than the built in dac in most laptops?

That said I decided not to worry about it and have 2 (3 as soon as I've finished the spare room/office) Chromecast s set up in a group which works really well.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:08 pm

Joe wrote:
mrblackbat wrote: HOWEVER. Seeing as you're using your laptop, chances are you're using mp3s, so all of the above is going to be totally irrelevant, as you'll have lost enough quality simply through the mpeg compression. So just get a bluetooth connector and use that.
Mostly flac
If you're using flac, then there will be merit in getting a higher end sound card/audio interface, and letting that do the digital to audio conversion instead of the inbuilt soundcard in your laptop. If you don't want to do that, you're better ditching flac and going to mp3s and saving the storage on your drives.

I've just had a quick gander, and there's not much out there that looks much cop that's wireless though. Most are usb/firewire still.

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:44 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Joe wrote:
Mostly flac
If you're using flac, then there will be merit in getting a higher end sound card/audio interface, and letting that do the digital to audio conversion instead of the inbuilt soundcard in your laptop. If you don't want to do that, you're better ditching flac and going to mp3s and saving the storage on your drives.

I've just had a quick gander, and there's not much out there that looks much cop that's wireless though. Most are usb/firewire still.
So not worth saving for something like http://www.audiostream.com/content/audi ... UbgCoX4.97

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:50 pm

That's the only thing that looks decent I've seen.

If you're using flac it could well be worth it, but you'd want to be pairing with equivalent price sperakers and pribably a grand plus of integrated hifi amp (or seperate power and pre amp). Would probably be swish.

I'd want to listen to it first though!

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:23 am

I've actually started looking at this myself, as our hifi speakers are just too big to fit anywhere sensibly. Anyone used Bluesound?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:49 am

Also, for the DAC convertor, this one from Arcam might be a cheaper option, Joe; it's bluetooth as opposed to wireless though:-

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.u ... blink.aspx

Or go ridiculously cheap and try one of these. Haven't checked the specs but probably doesn't do flac.
http://dealmaniauk.com/audio-hifi/pure- ... black.html

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:16 am

I'd give the first one a listen before spending that kind of money. My headphones use atp-x and the quality is noticeably higher using the cable... Not so much that I care but it suggests that's where the bottleneck is.

As previously though... Convenience trumps faff everytime, and the jongo looks like a decent Chromecast alternative.