Trump .... you're on

There must be more to life than football?
mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re: Trump .... you're on

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:33 pm

Gibbon wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:I dunno, as someone in the office pointed out: his hair looks like Weetabix.
Shredded Wheat surely?

That's it. Doh.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:44 pm

Dan wrote:Image
:mygod:

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:39 am

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed May 31, 2017 8:27 am

#covfefe

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed May 31, 2017 9:38 am

Rover the Top wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 8:27 am
#covfefe
Urban dictionary

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:15 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ban-london

Regardless of party politics at the moment - we really should be considering some punitive action on Trump and Sadiq Khan... To so flagrantly misrepresent an elected official for his own political gain (although what he has actually gained?) deserves more than the silence that is coming out of downing street.

Jesus - if nothing else politicians all over the world are getting poll bumps from standing up to him... but instead we can't even bring ourselves to say... "The president has taken Khan's quote out of context"

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:47 pm

Yeah it's pretty appalling really. We can't say he's wrong to ditch climate change, we can't say he's wrong, on the day after a terrorist attack, to attack the mayor of the city in which it occurred.

May's clearly just scared of him.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:50 pm

Covfefe.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:00 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:47 pm
Yeah it's pretty appalling really. We can't say he's wrong to ditch climate change, we can't say he's wrong, on the day after a terrorist attack, to attack the mayor of the city in which it occurred.

I'm guessing that we're so scared of a no deal with brexit that we want to make sure we've got the best possible trade deal with the US to announce asap... problem with that thinking is I'm not sure Trump will see us as anything other than a poodle by that point.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:49 pm

May's reluctance to comment on Trump directly just demonstrates everything you need to know about where her priorities lie.

It's disgusting really.

I'm actually at a complete loss as to how anyone can vote Tory on Thursday.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:54 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:49 pm
May's reluctance to comment on Trump directly just demonstrates everything you need to know about where her priorities lie.

It's disgusting really.

Because they're the party that won't bankrupt us completely out of the two that matter?

You can draw parallels with May refusing to criticise Trump and Corbyn refusing to admit his support of the IRA was wrong, and with him calling Hezbollah and Hamas "friends". You can also look at his lax stance on terrorism as a whole, his refusal to say it's right have the police shoot dead terrorists who are actively killing people and so on.

I can't understand how anyone can vote Labour on Thursday. Or the SNP. Or UKIP.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:12 pm

theadore wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:00 pm
mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:47 pm

I'm guessing that we're so scared of a no deal with brexit that we want to make sure we've got the best possible trade deal with the US to announce asap... problem with that thinking is I'm not sure Trump will see us as anything other than a poodle by that point.
I think "no deal" (i.e. the default trade tariffs) is likely. Regardless of who wins the election. The EU bureaucracy seem to want to do that, even though it'll hurt them too. There's no way anyone can negotiate access to the single market because we have to retain freedom of movement; to do so would be political suicide. And the divorce bill figures in turn seem utterly ludicrous, so any negotiation on trade tariff has to outweigh the hundred billion or so they're asking for, which would require a lot of trade for a very long time, and assume no changes in the interim. Seems unlikely.

So yes I can understand why they might not want to completely sever ties with the US. But still you can call the guy out on it.

Mind you, he might just fire his nukes at us if we do that.....

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:30 pm

I'm confused, did Khan say "there's no need to be alarmed" or not? Was he an air steward before becoming an MP? "We're about to fly straight into a mountain, but it's ok, you have a life jacket under your seat, so please remain calm..."

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:43 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:30 pm
I'm confused, did Khan say "there's no need to be alarmed" or not? Was he an air steward before becoming an MP? "We're about to fly straight into a mountain, but it's ok, you have a life jacket under your seat, so please remain calm..."
You've just fallen foul of exactly the same thing as Trump. Well done. :doh: The "no need to be alarmed" is in reference to the armed police deployment and is trying to calm people down. As much as I personally don't fell calmed by armed police on the streets, quite a lot of people, it appears, are.

And regardless, the head of a state shouldn't be weighing in with a personal war of words straight after a terrorist attack. We all know Trump doesn't have any tact, but doesn't mean he shouldn't be called out on it.
Last edited by mrblackbat on Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:44 pm

It's alright - even if he wipes us out we might get one shot at arkansas... assuming the missiles work of course. Makes me feel better anyway.... :)

I'm hopeful that calmer heads will prevail in the EU negotiations.... we have 2 years to work it out, and assuming that behind closed doors we accept that we aren't getting full access for no price, the sooner European nations will come to accept that some trade is better than none. My guess is that Macron and Merkel will find a compromise that suits and the rest will fall in line. The divorce bill will be hard to swallow regardless... but remembering the furore over Osbourne's rebate nonsense, big noise at the time, but the public forgot about it pretty quick. Most people will accept that paying contributions already promised is part of the deal... especially if the EU make a conciliatory gesture of some sort.

mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:54 pm
mcteeth wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:49 pm

It's disgusting really.

Because they're the party that won't bankrupt us completely out of the two that matter?

You can draw parallels with May refusing to criticise Trump and Corbyn refusing to admit his support of the IRA was wrong, and with him calling Hezbollah and Hamas "friends". You can also look at his lax stance on terrorism as a whole, his refusal to say it's right have the police shoot dead terrorists who are actively killing people and so on.

I can't understand how anyone can vote Labour on Thursday. Or the SNP. Or UKIP.
You can't really draw parallels there... I mean, you could if you were just desperate to shoehorn an anti-labour agenda in where it doesn't belong... ;) The attacks that are coming from the conservatives on the above are pretty horrible misrepresentations of his words and actions.

Moreover we're talking about the difference between something someone has said a long time ago, and something that someone else is doing right now.