Trump .... you're on

There must be more to life than football?
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: Trump .... you're on

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:08 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:02 pm

Little bit of an overreaction.

By that logic I take it you've stopped going to gigs then?
No, but I am genuinely uncomfortable walking past policemen with guns, and more vigilant than usual in busy areas or places that are often targetted by terrorists. You don't have to lock yourself in an underground bunker, but if you're genuinely "not alarmed" after recent events because some smarmy man in a suit has told you not to be, I think there's something wrong with you.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:12 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:08 pm
mcteeth wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:02 pm

Little bit of an overreaction.

By that logic I take it you've stopped going to gigs then?
No, but I am genuinely uncomfortable walking past policemen with guns, and more vigilant than usual in busy areas or places that are often targetted by terrorists. You don't have to lock yourself in an underground bunker, but if you're genuinely "not alarmed" after recent events because some smarmy man in a suit has told you not to be, I think there's something wrong with you.
You're still missing the point.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:18 pm

Kahn's meaning was clear enough to me. He was telling people that just because they saw a squad of armed police, it didn't mean that a lunatic with a bomb strapped to themselves was right around the corner. Hence, don't be alarmed.

I can't believe you've wasted so much space and time debating that.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:40 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:18 pm
Kahn's meaning was clear enough to me. He was telling people that just because they saw a squad of armed police, it didn't mean that a lunatic with a bomb strapped to themselves was right around the corner. Hence, don't be alarmed.

Indeed.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:10 pm

And then we get nonsense like this....

:shock: :o :shock:

Lovely, those Americans. Lovely.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:19 am

Gibbon wrote:

Indeed, you've explained his point well. But instead of just taking it at face value you stop and think about it: the only reason the squad of armed police are there is because there could be a lunatic with a bomb around the corner. Hence, it's silly to say there's no reason to be alarmed. :idea: Armed police aren't deployed to our streets unless there is a reason to be alarmed. Simply saying otherwise doesn't change that... :?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:09 am

Rover the Top wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:19 am
Gibbon wrote:

Indeed, you've explained his point well. But instead of just taking it at face value you stop and think about it: the only reason the squad of armed police are there is because there could be a lunatic with a bomb around the corner. Hence, it's silly to say there's no reason to be alarmed. :idea: Armed police aren't deployed to our streets unless there is a reason to be alarmed. Simply saying otherwise doesn't change that... :?
It's called reassurance, you plonker.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:32 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:09 am
Rover the Top wrote:
Gibbon wrote:

Funny thing is, you've actually argued it isn't reassuring in the GE thread...

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:11 am

Rover the Top wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:32 am
mrblackbat wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:09 am
Rover the Top wrote:
Gibbon wrote:

Funny thing is, you've actually argued it isn't reassuring in the GE thread...
Armed police on the streets isn't reassuring to me personally. That doesn't mean it isn't to a lot of people. But in any case, that's not what the reassurance is in this case. The reassurance is to prepare you to see armed police on the streets. Being told to expect them is better than just going out and seeing a load of people with guns in your face. I'm struggling how you're having a problem with that.

As I said earlier via the medium of parody, would you rather he publically incited panic?