Trump .... you're on

There must be more to life than football?
theadore
Inexperienced manager

Re: Trump .... you're on

Post by theadore » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:45 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:43 pm
Rover the Top wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:30 pm
I'm confused, did Khan say "there's no need to be alarmed" or not? Was he an air steward before becoming an MP? "We're about to fly straight into a mountain, but it's ok, you have a life jacket under your seat, so please remain calm..."
You've just fallen foul of exactly the same thing as Trump. Well done. :doh:
:lol:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:56 pm

theadore wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:44 pm
It's alright - even if he wipes us out we might get one shot at arkansas... assuming the missiles work of course. Makes me feel better anyway.... :)

I'm hopeful that calmer heads will prevail in the EU negotiations.... we have 2 years to work it out, and assuming that behind closed doors we accept that we aren't getting full access for no price, the sooner European nations will come to accept that some trade is better than none. My guess is that Macron and Merkel will find a compromise that suits and the rest will fall in line. The divorce bill will be hard to swallow regardless... but remembering the furore over Osbourne's rebate nonsense, big noise at the time, but the public forgot about it pretty quick. Most people will accept that paying contributions already promised is part of the deal... especially if the EU make a conciliatory gesture of some sort.
That's where I'm not so sure. For instance contributions already promised is actually a very sketchy description of what has been agreed already. If it were that simple, there'd just be a number. There isn't. There's certainly an argument that there should be no divorce bill, depending how you look at it.

Macron getting elected will help in a big way, but we'll just have to see once the dust settles. To be honest, it is one of the things that Maybot is correct about: keeping quiet about what you want to get out of it is the best way to approach negotiations if you want them to be successful. Saying that you want a deal, no matter what, is not.
theadore wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:44 pm
mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:54 pm
mcteeth wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:49 pm
May's reluctance to comment on Trump directly just demonstrates everything you need to know about where her priorities lie.

It's disgusting really.

I'm actually at a complete loss as to how anyone can vote Tory on Thursday.
Because they're the party that won't bankrupt us completely out of the two that matter?

You can draw parallels with May refusing to criticise Trump and Corbyn refusing to admit his support of the IRA was wrong, and with him calling Hezbollah and Hamas "friends". You can also look at his lax stance on terrorism as a whole, his refusal to say it's right have the police shoot dead terrorists who are actively killing people and so on.

I can't understand how anyone can vote Labour on Thursday. Or the SNP. Or UKIP.

You can't really draw parallels there... I mean, you could if you were just desperate to shoehorn an anti-labour agenda in where it doesn't belong... ;) The attacks that are coming from the conservatives on the above are pretty horrible misrepresentations of his words and actions.

Moreover we're talking about the difference between something someone has said a long time ago, and something that someone else is doing right now.
You can totally draw parallels there. And it was certainly very recently that Corbyn talked about not shooting to kill, and when he voted against counter terrorist legislation. And even more recently that he, and his hilarious comedy sidekick Diane Abbott, still refused to say that they were wrong for supporting the IRA. If he said, when asked, "yes I was wrong", then it's a non story, and in my opinion would garner a lot of respect. But he won't, because he doesn't think he was wrong. Which is just as much a problem has holding hands with Donald "Duck" Trump, and refusing to slam the same guy for having a pop at Khan and for pulling out of the Paris Agreement.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:10 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:43 pm
Rover the Top wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:30 pm
I'm confused, did Khan say "there's no need to be alarmed" or not? Was he an air steward before becoming an MP? "We're about to fly straight into a mountain, but it's ok, you have a life jacket under your seat, so please remain calm..."
You've just fallen foul of exactly the same thing as Trump. Well done. :doh: The "no need to be alarmed" is in reference to the armed police deployment and is trying to calm people down. As much as I personally don't fell calmed by armed police on the streets, quite a lot of people, it appears, are.
You what? Firstly, I was asking if those were the exact words Khan used, because if they were, Trump hasn't actually misquoted him as is being alleged. Secondly, in the context everyone is saying Khan meant and is assuming Trump hasn't got, it's still a fucking ridiculous thing to say, akin to being told not to panic as your plane is about to crash. Coppers walking the streets carrying huge guns is a very good reason to be alarmed. The reason why they're suddenly there is another very good reason to be alarmed. I'm not going to assume that's what Trump's point was, but it was mine.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:13 pm

Right. Whatevs. You're obviously right, as always cause it's impossible for your opinion not to be, both you and Trumpy, and everyone else are clearly maniacs.
:shrug:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:30 pm

Perhaps compassion and tact should just be scrapped across the board.

Doctor: this is going to hurt like fuck and you're going to die anyway.
Cancer patient: :|

Policeman: Your son died in horrific pain after being stabbed to death by a terrorist. His death was a meaningless waste of life. We won't be able to stop future attacks like this, and there can't be any proper justice cause the terrorist wanted to die anyway.
Parent: :cry: :o :x

Sadiq Khan: We've deployed armed police onto the streets of London because we think there's a high chance that some lunatics are probably going to kill you by ramming you with a car, stabbing you, or trying to blow you up. Please be alarmed and panic like fuck.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:35 pm

Trump has taken a small chunck of what he said, taken it out of context to use for his own political agenda. And that's just for starters.

I live in London and bike to work either over London Bridge or Southwark and live east in Bethnal Green. Since Saturday night I am seeing and hearing a much greater police presence across the city. But there is no reason to be alarmed because thankfully our mayor told us this...

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:36 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:35 pm
Trump has taken a small chunck of what he said, taken it out of context to use for his own political agenda. And that's just for starters.

I live in London and bike to work either over London Bridge or Southwark and live east in Bethnal Green. Since Saturday night I am seeing and hearing a much greater police presence across the city. But there is no reason to be alarmed because thankfully our mayor told us this...
Exactly. And it reassures you that there hasn't been another attack yadda yadda yadda.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:41 pm

Precisely. On Sunday weirdly I was out in my park and for an hour or so could hear multiple sirens and visibly notice more police generally on the roads. But literally due to what he said carried on as normal.

Funny that Andy Burnham after the Manchester attack said the best response was to all work together and carry on as normal with day to day lives.

That didn't seem to bother Trump, I wonder why...

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:49 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:13 pm
Right. Whatevs. You're obviously right, as always cause it's impossible for your opinion not to be, both you and Trumpy, and everyone else are clearly maniacs.
So I take it that means you've got no counter then? Good good.

Trump's an opinionated arse. It doesn't mean he gets everything wrong, and people are maniacs if they think he's the big villain in all this.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:52 pm

mcteeth wrote:
But there is no reason to be alarmed because thankfully our mayor told us this...
Sucker!

You should be shitting yourself. Seriously. They're not there for a giggle...

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:53 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:49 pm
mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:13 pm
So I take it that means you've got no counter then? Good good.

Trump's an opinionated arse. It doesn't mean he gets everything wrong, and people are maniacs if they think he's the big villain in all this.
No not at all, just bored of your ridiculous antagonistic approach to anybody and everybody on here. You just jump down the throat of anyone who puts forward an alternative.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:53 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:52 pm
mcteeth wrote:
But there is no reason to be alarmed because thankfully our mayor told us this...
Sucker!

Again, missing the point.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:54 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:41 pm
Precisely. On Sunday weirdly I was out in my park and for an hour or so could hear multiple sirens and visibly notice more police generally on the roads. But literally due to what he said carried on as normal.

Funny that Andy Burnham after the Manchester attack said the best response was to all work together and carry on as normal with day to day lives.

That didn't seem to bother Trump, I wonder why...
That's cause Trump thinks Manchester is a city in New Hampshire.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:02 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:52 pm
mcteeth wrote:
Sucker!

Little bit of an overreaction.

By that logic I take it you've stopped going to gigs then?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:04 pm

Yep, we all need to hunker down and not leave the house. Even when we're starving. If you leave you're going to DIE.