Today's random stupidity story...

There must be more to life than football?
mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re: Today's random stupidity story...

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:45 am

Touche.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:23 am

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -eu-treaty

Given that the PM has said parliament will get a vote... it seems like we can all go home now surely?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... nt-failure

Appears this is going to be swept under the carpet but yesterdays revelations were absolutely shocking... The revote on trident was a farce anyway designed purely to embarrass Corbyn... but a PM and defense minister who fail to see why misleading parliament isn't an issue is worrying to say the least.

I'd always be in favour of scrapping trident and realise I'm in a vast minority... but if it is going to keep existing it should at least work.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:43 am

And to keep something working, you need to conduct tests to check it's still operational, so that you can rectify problems before you need the thing for real. It's blatantly obivous why tests are carried out, it's blatantly obvious why you wouldn't make noises publicly about those tests, and it's irrelevant to the question of whether we should have a deterrent or not anyway. Anyone trying to score political points from a failed test run would only be opening themselves to ridicule. So I don't really understand why May wouldn't answer the question, it was an easy one to brush off and she'd gain by being honest.

As for keeping Trident, I'd love to see the world get rid of all nuclear weapons, but whilst other governments show intent to build them and possibly even use them, I think it's best to maintain the threat that a megalomaniac would lose everything by firing them.

The court verdict just gives MPs more rope to hang themselves with. It's reported as a loss for the government, but it's hard to imagine there'll be enough dissent in Parliament to block them.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:22 am

Not stupid, but... Basketball player's eye pops out on court
"With the palm of my hand I felt my eyeball on the side of my face," he told New Zealand's Radio Sport. "I could still see out of the eye."
:o :shock:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:45 pm

Not really random, but:
:D

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:58 pm

Far more vulnerable to accepting lies from a moronic president - he must have run out of characters

daib0
Valued squad member
Location: Spain (Pamplona) - England (Reading - back when possible)

Post by daib0 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:19 pm

A real story!

BBC News - Scotland

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-nor ... d-38955586

Council apology over trees planted on football pitch

A council has apologised after trees were planted on a football pitch. The trees appeared at the pitch at Logie Durno in Aberdeenshire, sparking social media reaction.

Aberdeenshire Council was contacted, and the local authority said the intention was to turn over part of the area for "biodiversity" - but talks would now be held with the community.
A spokeswoman said: "It would seem that we were barking up the wrong tree with plans for this site."

The spokeswoman said of the site: "Anecdotally it was rarely used. However it is clear now that the community were not engaged with this plan. As such, we are going back to first principles with them so they can help us decide what this area should be used for. There are full pitches immediately next to this area for community leisure use and the trees will remain on this site until we can come to an agreement with residents. We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused."

On social media, people had been quick to poke fun at the situation.
One person wrote: "Are they playing tree a side?"

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:42 am

Tony Blair... :doh:

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:08 pm

You wonder whether he actually imagines a course of events where everyone decides he's the best pm really and begs him to come back.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:54 am

Trump mistakes news documentary on crime over the last 3 years for a news report, talks about a terror attack in Sweden. Swedes have no idea what he's talking about.
Despite his words "happening last night in Sweden", White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders said separately that Mr Trump had been talking about rising crime and recent incidents in general, not referring to a specific issue.

:doh:

:D

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:36 am

That tweet has made my day.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:35 pm

Russian politician wants to legalise football hooliganism and turn it into a sport.
Igor Lebedev has drawn up rules for "draka" - the Russian word for fight - which he said would involve 20 unarmed competitors on each side in an organised brawl.
"Russia would be a pioneer in a new sport. Fans arrive, for example, and start picking fights. And they get the answer - challenge accepted. A meeting in a stadium at a set time.''
:shock:

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:19 pm

I'm all for that. Most hooligans would get utterly humiliated by fighters who bother to train and actually know what they're doing.

The first couple of seasons would be hilarious before it organically evolved into a pro-athlete sport.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:10 am

:o