Today's random stupidity story...

There must be more to life than football?
User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17227
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: Today's random stupidity story...

Post by Gibbon » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:41 pm

Well I'm for it...which means it'll likely never happen. :D

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14098
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Today's random stupidity story...

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:48 pm

I struggle to see it being implemented here for a long time; Scandanavia and Canada are far more likely.

The general culture here is far too much geared towards selfishness and jealousy, in my opinion; I think the vast majority of the electorate fit into the following two categories:-

1) Have a lot of money and don't want to give it up.
2) Want people who are richer than them to give them their money, whilst not wanting to part with the money they have.

The national wage really requires everyone to want to give their money to someone else worse off than themselves.

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17227
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: Today's random stupidity story...

Post by Gibbon » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:27 pm

Agree.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26683
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Today's random stupidity story...

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:24 pm

mrblackbat wrote: The national wage really requires everyone to want to give their money to someone else worse off than themselves.
How so? I thought the point was to give everyone money, not just those worst off? I guess the point you're trying to make is that the better off end up paying more into the system than they get back, but that happens anyway with the tax system as is. The devil will be in the details, but I think you'll still end up with the poorest people being as poor in real terms.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14098
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Today's random stupidity story...

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:40 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
mrblackbat wrote: The national wage really requires everyone to want to give their money to someone else worse off than themselves.
How so? I thought the point was to give everyone money, not just those worst off? I guess the point you're trying to make is that the better off end up paying more into the system than they get back, but that happens anyway with the tax system as is. The devil will be in the details, but I think you'll still end up with the poorest people being as poor in real terms.
Yes the point is everyone gets money. The same amount. But for that to happen, you have to want to give up money that you receive. It's not a difficult concept.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26683
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Today's random stupidity story...

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:01 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:
mrblackbat wrote: The national wage really requires everyone to want to give their money to someone else worse off than themselves.
How so? I thought the point was to give everyone money, not just those worst off? I guess the point you're trying to make is that the better off end up paying more into the system than they get back, but that happens anyway with the tax system as is. The devil will be in the details, but I think you'll still end up with the poorest people being as poor in real terms.
Yes the point is everyone gets money. The same amount. But for that to happen, you have to want to give up money that you receive. It's not a difficult concept.
Still just sounds like taxation...

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14098
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Today's random stupidity story...

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:03 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:
mrblackbat wrote: The national wage really requires everyone to want to give their money to someone else worse off than themselves.
How so? I thought the point was to give everyone money, not just those worst off? I guess the point you're trying to make is that the better off end up paying more into the system than they get back, but that happens anyway with the tax system as is. The devil will be in the details, but I think you'll still end up with the poorest people being as poor in real terms.
Yes the point is everyone gets money. The same amount. But for that to happen, you have to want to give up money that you receive. It's not a difficult concept.
Still just sounds like taxation...
But a simpler, more straightforward and transparent method, that also ensures that everyone can have a basic living standard.

But for it to work, everyone has to want to be taxed.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26683
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Today's random stupidity story...

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:19 pm

mrblackbat wrote: But a simpler, more straightforward and transparent method, that also ensures that everyone can have a basic living standard.

But for it to work, everyone has to want to be taxed.
"Ensures" is a confident word. Inflation?


User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14098
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Today's random stupidity story...

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:36 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
mrblackbat wrote: But a simpler, more straightforward and transparent method, that also ensures that everyone can have a basic living standard.

But for it to work, everyone has to want to be taxed.
"Ensures" is a confident word. Inflation?
Can be matched by the basic salary.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26683
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Today's random stupidity story...

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:55 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:
mrblackbat wrote: But a simpler, more straightforward and transparent method, that also ensures that everyone can have a basic living standard.

But for it to work, everyone has to want to be taxed.
"Ensures" is a confident word. Inflation?
Can be matched by the basic salary.
On an annual, monthly, daily basis? I actually meant what would you do to keep inflation under control, given you're putting more spending-power into your economy?

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14098
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Today's random stupidity story...

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:01 pm

Go to war with people. Everyone knows a good war sorts out inflation.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26683
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Today's random stupidity story...

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:05 pm

mrblackbat wrote:Go to war with people. Everyone knows a good war sorts out inflation.
Also: reduces number of citizens requiring basic income. Win - win...

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14098
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Today's random stupidity story...

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:04 pm

Win + win.

Win - win = 0.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26683
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Today's random stupidity story...

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:06 am

Maybe I was right then... ;)

Post Reply