Today's random stupidity story...

There must be more to life than football?
Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Re: Today's random stupidity story...

Post by Dan » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:34 am

And the prize for tempting fate and ensuring the end of the World may be quite soon goes to:
The caldera's activity fuels the thermal pools in the area and it also has the potential for a "cataclysmic" eruption which would change global climate for decades.
However, experts at the US Geological Survey, which carefully monitors the area, say "the chances of this sort of eruption at Yellowstone are exceedingly small in the next few thousands of years."

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:38 pm

Cambridge council creates non roundabout to confuse drivers....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-be ... s-38076201

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:04 pm

Because confusing drivers is so obviously the safe thing to do... :shrug:

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:26 pm

Let's hope pedestrians wandering along staring at their phones with their heads down don't blindly follow the 'path' into the road

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:46 am

Corbyn wants to make rich poorer rather than poor richer.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co ... id-samsung

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:24 am

mrblackbat wrote:Corbyn wants to make rich poorer rather than poor richer.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co ... id-samsung
He needs a cap on his stupidity. :dunce: :lol: I keep thinking it's impossible for someone to be this naive and short-sighted, yet he keeps coming out with fresh nonsense. And his supporters still back him. Maybe this is the one when they finally realise what everyone else did straight away?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:21 pm

Made me think of John from working in your warehouse!

I think it makes far more sense to look at the kind of proposal that was put forward in Switzerland, whereby everyone gets a national salary and you can supplement as you wish through employment.
Last edited by mrblackbat on Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:29 pm

Universal basic income is definitely an interesting idea. I have a genuine fear that we're sleepwalking towards a fairly bizarre post-work society with governments who don't understand its implications or don't want to. Japanese corporations are already replacing professionals with AI - it doesn't seem to far fetched to imagine a world where it becomes the norm.

A global earnings cap is obviously bonkers... I'm sure even Corbyn and his most devout followers know this - rising income inequality is a big deal... poor people voting for the tories and especially UKIP is the very definition of turkeys voting for Christmas.

I'd still rather vote for a bumbling speaks his mind Corbyn than the next walking soundbite on the opposite bench.

edit: Having said that an intra-corporation pay ratio cap, like is being proposed in Oregon (although at a more effective rate) does seem possible for me. A CEO can pay themselves whatever they want - but they can't pay their lowest paid worker any less than 1/20th. Yes - there is a danger that middle band incomes would stagnate to pay for increases at the bottom, but that is the case with minimum/living wage proposals and not a good enough reason to leave people in poverty. It isn't a silver bullet... but it could actually be enforced.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:47 pm

I'm with you on clearly defined payscales within a company, and stipulations that if the executive dividend is above a certain limit then there should be a ratio for the lowest earners in that company to match. Capping salary is a bit daft for lots of reasons, as execs tend to receive more in bonus/dividends anyway.

The problem though, as with minimum wage, is that any caps on any end of the pay scale results in inflation. Premium products and services are expensive, not just in monetary terms but in costs of production as well. And the production of premium products for the super wealthy is also an important part of the economy; many technologies that are researched at extreme cost for super premium products then work their way down and generally improve non premium products. The motor industry is a classic example of this; electric and hybrid cars are now pretty affordable (though still expensive) due to advances made from research into producing some of the high spec electric super cars.

You can go even further and look at the investment going into projects such as CERN, space exploration and so on. That seems an outrageous expense that could be better spent on healthcare, shelter and food for those that are without. However, theories proved from such experiments have led to many technologies being able to be used in modern life, with much benefit to society from them.

To me, that's what really needs to happen; encouragement to develop technology that will ultimately benefit all. But, for a lot of people, you need reward to get that effort in.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:58 pm

You may be interested in this outstanding article which I've probably told you to read before...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/20 ... stribution

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:26 pm

Ethiaa wrote:You may be interested in this outstanding article which I've probably told you to read before...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/20 ... stribution
Love this point:-
What people say everyone should get is one thing; what people are prepared to pay for everyone to get seems to be another.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:42 pm

That's why democracy doesn't always work so well.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:55 pm

Ethiaa wrote:That's why democracy doesn't always work so well.
Tell me about it. Think I've said on here quite a few times that a benevolent dictatorship is a far better form of government..... ;)

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:51 pm

Meritocracy.