Calling all parents

There must be more to life than football?
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Calling all parents

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:55 am

A mini RTT is due to arrive later this year, and I'm trying to make my way through the minefield of buying the bits and pieces needed for a baby.

Considering how important a part of life it is, I'm shocked at how poor the range of products are, from maternity clothes to furniture. Mrs Top and myself are getting a bit frustrated with trying to decide on a bed for our little one - we want a bed-side one, but are finding it hard to spot one that fits perfectly and doesn't seem extortionate for the short time it's meant to last. Has anyone got recommendations or advice on what to avoid?

I'm half-wishing I could go back to my GCSE woodwork class and design my own...

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re: Calling all parents

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:34 pm

We got a SnuzPod 2. The little one and the other half both loved it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the price, a lot of this stuff holds its value fairly well if you want to resell on ebay. And you can always buy from Ebay in the first place and reflip.

Bunch on Ebay at the moment:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Snuzpod-3-in ... 0005.m1851

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:43 pm

Congratulations.... :hyper:

We went with a moses basket for first... a flimsy version didn't last a week, but a mothercare one with a thicker mattress did the job fine. Number 2 on the other hand refused to sleep in it for any significant time, so we just moved him into his cot at about 6 weeks.... that said at 7 months he is spending more and more time in our bed, and still only sleeps in 90 minute bursts.... it's such a magical time.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:57 pm

Congratulations mate! It’s an amazing time for everyone involved.

Moses baskets were useless for us too, we moved both of ours into a full size cots almost immediately, which we kept in our room for 6 months before moving into their own rooms with baby monitors.

2nd hand is the way to go unless it’s something you need to be more careful with such as car seats. Even then, as long as you’re 100% sure of their condition they should be okay.

List of things I learned:

1. Be adaptable.
2. The kid will probably teach you as much as you teach him/her.
3. Try not to hover too much, try and prevent serious accidents, but let them learn through their mistakes. (This is agonizing)
4. The moment you meet your child, you’ll level up and discover capacities you never knew you possessed.
5. Grab sleep whenever you can.
6. Nothing will ever be the same again, you will never, ever stop worrying.
7. It’s 100% worth it.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:36 pm

Cheers. Mrs Top has already done it all twice before, although she claims it's too far back to remember. And I've already learned more biology than I did in school... :D