Calling all parents

There must be more to life than football?
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Calling all parents

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:55 am

A mini RTT is due to arrive later this year, and I'm trying to make my way through the minefield of buying the bits and pieces needed for a baby.

Considering how important a part of life it is, I'm shocked at how poor the range of products are, from maternity clothes to furniture. Mrs Top and myself are getting a bit frustrated with trying to decide on a bed for our little one - we want a bed-side one, but are finding it hard to spot one that fits perfectly and doesn't seem extortionate for the short time it's meant to last. Has anyone got recommendations or advice on what to avoid?

I'm half-wishing I could go back to my GCSE woodwork class and design my own...

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re: Calling all parents

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:34 pm

We got a SnuzPod 2. The little one and the other half both loved it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the price, a lot of this stuff holds its value fairly well if you want to resell on ebay. And you can always buy from Ebay in the first place and reflip.

Bunch on Ebay at the moment:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Snuzpod-3-in ... 0005.m1851

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:43 pm

Congratulations.... :hyper:

We went with a moses basket for first... a flimsy version didn't last a week, but a mothercare one with a thicker mattress did the job fine. Number 2 on the other hand refused to sleep in it for any significant time, so we just moved him into his cot at about 6 weeks.... that said at 7 months he is spending more and more time in our bed, and still only sleeps in 90 minute bursts.... it's such a magical time.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:57 pm

Congratulations mate! It’s an amazing time for everyone involved.

Moses baskets were useless for us too, we moved both of ours into a full size cots almost immediately, which we kept in our room for 6 months before moving into their own rooms with baby monitors.

2nd hand is the way to go unless it’s something you need to be more careful with such as car seats. Even then, as long as you’re 100% sure of their condition they should be okay.

List of things I learned:

1. Be adaptable.
2. The kid will probably teach you as much as you teach him/her.
3. Try not to hover too much, try and prevent serious accidents, but let them learn through their mistakes. (This is agonizing)
4. The moment you meet your child, you’ll level up and discover capacities you never knew you possessed.
5. Grab sleep whenever you can.
6. Nothing will ever be the same again, you will never, ever stop worrying.
7. It’s 100% worth it.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:36 pm

Cheers. Mrs Top has already done it all twice before, although she claims it's too far back to remember. And I've already learned more biology than I did in school... :D

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:42 pm

Not to hijack the thread, but mini Dan is also on the way later in the year, and we're in exactly the same minefield with you. There appears to be plenty of options depending on where you look, but everything seems to be either expensive for what it is, or incredibly cheap and useless looking. There doesn't appear to be a nice middle ground, and obviously until you've actually bought something and have a baby in it I can't see how it's entirely possible to see how good it is.

We've been thinking along the same lines and had the Snuzpod recommended by friends, and as blackbat says stuff like this does hold some value for a resale (which realistically probably wont happen, I imagine things will get chucked in the loft 'just in case' there's a next time ;) ). We decided against a snuzpod, but then ended up in a shop actually looking at one, and now 'we' want one again :D

Currently not even looked at car seats, which is the first thing we'll actually need... :-?

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:56 pm

You lot are killing the environment man.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:12 pm

Dan wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:42 pm
Not to hijack the thread, but mini Dan is also on the way later in the year, and we're in exactly the same minefield with you. There appears to be plenty of options depending on where you look, but everything seems to be either expensive for what it is, or incredibly cheap and useless looking. There doesn't appear to be a nice middle ground, and obviously until you've actually bought something and have a baby in it I can't see how it's entirely possible to see how good it is.

We've been thinking along the same lines and had the Snuzpod recommended by friends, and as blackbat says stuff like this does hold some value for a resale (which realistically probably wont happen, I imagine things will get chucked in the loft 'just in case' there's a next time ;) ). We decided against a snuzpod, but then ended up in a shop actually looking at one, and now 'we' want one again :D

Currently not even looked at car seats, which is the first thing we'll actually need... :-?
Congratulations!

We've gone for the Joie Stages Isofix car seat. Some people recommend you get a seat that's easy to clip in and out and will fasten to your pram. But others say they got that and then found they didn't use it. So we chose a unit that will stay in the car but adapts as baby grows into a small child. I think they say you can use it until your kid is 7, so I've got my fingers crossed it's a sound investment. (We've had a friend give us a 0-6 month seat that I'm going to keep in my car)

Crib-wise, we've got a travel one called a "Cocoon" for downstairs that has a mosquito net attached so that we can keep the cat out. For the main one we went for a Chicco bedside one that's turned out to be bigger than we realised - got my reservations about it but we'll have to see.

And the pram/pushchair has cost way more than I'd like to admit, but I wanted an all-terrain buggy that we can take to the country with us but wasn't too heavy or big to put away. So after much searching, we've got the three wheel iCandy Peach with the carry cot thrown in for "free".

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:03 pm

We went for a simple rear facing car seat that fit both of ours until they were about a year old, then moved them into a Kiddy Guardian Pro 2 seat that's good until she's 12.

Not sure if it's the one you went for RTT, but I noticed that the Joie Every Stage FX has a Which rating of 39% and the following Don't Buy product warning attached.
Product alert

This child car seat has passed the regulatory tests required by ECE R44/04 to be sold as suitable for children from 9-36kg. But in our own tests, which are conducted at higher speeds and forces than the standard requires, this seat still scores poorly for frontal-impact results when used in Group 1 mode. Any car seat scoring 45% or less will become a Which? Don't Buy.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:10 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:03 pm

Not sure if it's the one you went for RTT, but I noticed that the Joie Every Stage FX has a Which rating of 42% and the following Don't Buy product warning attached.
Product alert

This child car seat has passed the regulatory tests required by ECE R44/04 to be sold as suitable for children from 9-36kg. But in our own tests, which are conducted at higher speeds and forces than the standard requires, this seat still scores poorly for frontal-impact results when used in Group 1 mode. Any car seat scoring 45% or less will become a Which? Don't Buy.
No. Joie Stages Isofix. We ruled out the Every Stage and any other that didn't have the isofix fittings.

http://www.madeformums.com/reviews/car- ... /2089.html

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:14 pm

Good, nothing reviewed on Which under that name, maybe it's a newer model, though according to the tech specs on that Which review, the Every Stage does have Isofix.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:23 pm

Dunno, it's definitely a different model though - the Every Stage was on the shelf below when we looked at them. Only saw good reviews for the one we got.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:45 pm

Excellent. It's like a bloody minefield, everynow and again a manufacturer puts out a dud, glad it's a different one. :D

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:47 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:10 pm
Gibbon wrote:

Not sure if it's the one you went for RTT, but I noticed that the Joie Every Stage FX has a Which rating of 42% and the following Don't Buy product warning attached.
Product alert

No. Joie Stages Isofix. We ruled out the Every Stage and any other that didn't have the isofix fittings.

http://www.madeformums.com/reviews/car- ... /2089.html
Curious as to why the absolutely no non-isofix fittings stance? Is it because of the I-Size regulations?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:56 pm

Gibbon wrote:
We went for a simple rear facing car seat that fit both of ours until they were about a year old, then moved them into a Kiddy Guardian Pro 2 seat that's good until she's 12.

Not sure if it's the one you went for RTT, but I noticed that the Joie Every Stage FX has a Which rating of 39% and the following Don't Buy product warning attached.
Product alert

That appears to be a blanket warning on any multi stage seat on Which. It's word for word on loads of car seats. At the time of purchasing the seat we have, which was over a year ago, the Which reviews were great, now they're "Don't Buy". I think it will likely be down to them not being i-Size.

However, there appears to be as much wrong with isofix seats when there is a side impact as there is with seat belt seats when there is a front impact, which is rather obvious when you look at the fixing point, movement available and how the seat is required to absorb that impact; there are some isofix seats that are now incorporating some give into the connection point to remedy this.

The main reason that I can see for seatbelt issues is that it's possible to install them incorrectly; but after that I don't see much difference overall in the testing results that are published. Obviously, Which want you to pay to see their detailed results.... ;)