Calling all parents

There must be more to life than football?
iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Re: Calling all parents

Post by iamarover » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:21 am

Congratulations! :hyper:

ZWORTT is quite a selection of initials!

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:44 am

Congrats Toppers :)

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:22 am

Congratulations mate.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:45 pm

Congratulations mate! :-D

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:51 pm

Thanks guys.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:52 pm

Congrats RTT, best of luck to you all!
Not to hijack the thread (again) but my own little girl was born on 30th October, and managed to give us an exhausting 9 day stay in hospital in the process. She's amazing, but I hope you're getting a bit more sleep than we are! She's picked up an annoying habit of sleeping most of the day and then going absolutely crackers for a couple of hours at around 11pm.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:56 pm

Parenthood = Sleeplessness. (at least for the first few months at least.)

Congrats again Dan. :D

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:45 pm

If only it was just the first few months. My little boy has chronic ear infections and now confirmed glue ear. Had five courses of abtibiotics since August. He wakes five or six times most nights and can't sleep without calpol. Earliest referral appointment is March next year..... :|

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:46 pm

Dan wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:52 pm
Not to hijack the thread (again) but my own little girl was born on 30th October, and managed to give us an exhausting 9 day stay in hospital in the process. She's amazing, but I hope you're getting a bit more sleep than we are! She's picked up an annoying habit of sleeping most of the day and then going absolutely crackers for a couple of hours at around 11pm.
Congrats!!!! Sounds like a tinker in the making.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:03 pm

Congratulations Dan!

If it makes anyone feel better my youngest still wakes 4 times a night and is 1 in a couple of weeks... they both wake up at 6.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:32 pm

Ouch. My oldest (7) sleeps like a log these days, but the youngest (1y 10mths) is up most mornings at 6am. Last night she was up at 4.25, but that’s an exception to the rule. They’d both settled into pretty civilised sleep patterns by their first birthday, so maybe we’ve been lucky.

One thing I’ve learned though is that having a second child doesn’t double the work and disruption, it somehow cubes it. :lol:

I feel for you, lack of sleep is one of the real downsides to parenthood, and has completely bolloxed up my freelance work schedule over the last 2 years.

Also, Blackbat, my eldest gets glue ear everytime she gets a cold, and a couple of her friends have had grommets fitted. It’s very common and usually clears up as they grow and the position of their ear canals shift. (Which I’m sure you’re aware of now)

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:37 pm

Yeah I'm well aware of it, just the timescales that are the problem. He's 15 months now, can sleep for maybe three hours max before waking in pain; not sure I can last another five months.... Though also sometimes its a temper tantrum which Mum can't distinguish between; and I'm obviously evil every time I suggest any form of controlled crying. ;)

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:16 pm

Sounds tough. Hopefully it’ll get easier soon.

Can you get any relatives to take over for a night now and again to allow you a good nights sleep? Obviously Simon’s a bit busy at the moment, but you have to look after yourselves so you can look after them.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:16 am

Dan wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:52 pm
Firstly, congratulations! But 9 days? I hope mum and baby are okay. I thought we had enough being brought in to be induced at Sunday 10pm (Mrs RTT's waters broke the night before without baby making much of a move). They didn't get on with the induction until 9:30am Monday, then insisted on keeping us in for 24 hours after the birth as a box ticking exercise. But most of the problem was with various members of staff making it all more stressful than necessary. And the fact maternity units seem to treat men like garages treat women.

I wouldn't mind being kept awake at 11pm, Ziora seems to think wake up time is 3am! Don't know if it's a universal thing, but I've found I can calm her down a lot of the time by bouncing her gently as I walk around and making long shushing sounds near her ear. If that fails, then it's pass her over to mum for a feed.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:26 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:37 pm
I'm obviously evil
Finally you admit it! :D