Calling all parents

There must be more to life than football?
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: Calling all parents

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:01 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:47 pm
Curious as to why the absolutely no non-isofix fittings stance? Is it because of the I-Size regulations?
Mrs Top's insistence, which I was happy to go along with... I've read they're easier to fit correctly, and having struggled with my sister-in-law's seat-belt one earleir this year that's a good enough reason for me.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:06 pm

Well that's their purpose, to be easier to fit (oh and to make Volkswagen money). But that's the only advantage I can see of them (oh and that in several years they'll be the only fitting system allowed (unless the change the legislation between now and then, again) under EU law... which we might not care about). And for me, only really a thing if you need to move the seat around a lot, like with a travel system.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:37 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:56 pm
That appears to be a blanket warning on any multi stage seat on Which. It's word for word on loads of car seats. At the time of purchasing the seat we have, which was over a year ago, the Which reviews were great, now they're "Don't Buy". I think it will likely be down to them not being i-Size.

Obviously, Which want you to pay to see their detailed results.... ;)
When we bought Ivy's first seat, I remember reading that it was from birth it was safer to have a rear facing seat, which is why we went for one initially. Maybe it's something to do with that?

As far as she was concerned, it was pretty much a re-inforced rocking carry cot that she used to fall asleep in in the car and then wake up a few hours later wherever we'd been travelling to, be it in a pub, a country park or on a tram.

When she out grew it - then we went for the one that'll do her until she doesn't need anything.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:46 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:37 pm
mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:56 pm
That appears to be a blanket warning on any multi stage seat on Which. It's word for word on loads of car seats. At the time of purchasing the seat we have, which was over a year ago, the Which reviews were great, now they're "Don't Buy". I think it will likely be down to them not being i-Size.

Obviously, Which want you to pay to see their detailed results.... ;)
When we bought Ivy's first seat, I remember reading that it was from birth it was safer to have a rear facing seat, which is why we went for one initially. Maybe it's something to do with that?

As far as she was concerned, it was pretty much a re-inforced rocking carry cot that she used to fall asleep in in the car and then wake up a few hours later wherever we'd been travelling to, be it in a pub, a country park or on a tram.

When she out grew it - then we went for the one that'll do her until she doesn't need anything.
The seat we have is rear facing, and front facing from 1 year on. Currently goes as far as 12 years (I can only imagine how hard it is to get a 12 year old to sit in a car seat!)

Hope you never left in her for more than exactly 2 hours, (or 30 minutes if you read some sources), otherwise BAD THINGS HAPPEN.

The internet seems to just flame the super duper kids gloves culture. I'm pretty sure both the cars and carseats we were all brought up in were probably much worse than the worst seat on the current market.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:47 pm

I grew up before car seats as far as I know. I remember rattling around in footwells without seat belts. :lol:

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:51 pm

Ethiaa wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:56 pm
You lot are killing the environment man.
Just realised this is probably the Ugandan Shoe Bill posting now isn't it? Presumably after having disposed of Ethiaa altogether.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:55 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:47 pm
I grew up before car seats as far as I know. I remember rattling around in footwells without seat belts. :lol:
:D

And clearly that level of safety was terminal, so there's no way you could drive like that with kids and them not immediately expire due to the sheer inherent danger.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:57 pm

If you're never going to move it and are confident and patient enough to use the seatbelt, that's fine. Mrs Top was swayed by the safety advice. But for me, I just want something I know I've installed correctly every time we move it. This particular one won't need replacing and at £220 seemed good value.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:03 pm

£220? Ouch. The 0-12 seat we bought was £100....

That's what worries me about safety and isofix, there's no real difference between the two methods of installing a seat in terms of safety, though an isofix seat has to have more materials and robustness because more crash energy is transferred in than with a seat held be a seatbelt (the belt absorbs the same amount of impact damage as it would for an adult passenger).

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:27 am

It's probably easier just not to crash.

We have had non-isofix for both so far... the first one we didn't have the anchors in the car... second we couldn't find a rear facing toddler seat to fit in the back of a micra that had iso-fix. It's not something I'd worry about too much... I found fitting it was second nature really quickly... and its actually pretty comforting being in control of pulling the seat belt tight yourself.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:04 am

theadore wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:27 am
It's probably easier just not to crash.

We have had non-isofix for both so far... the first one we didn't have the anchors in the car... second we couldn't find a rear facing toddler seat to fit in the back of a micra that had iso-fix. It's not something I'd worry about too much... I found fitting it was second nature really quickly... and its actually pretty comforting being in control of pulling the seat belt tight yourself.
Indeed.

Its always been my argument for not wearing a helmet cycling or snowboarding as well; I don't like 'em (well my more recent snowboard helmet isn't so bad, and has speakers....) so I just don't fall off my bike/crash when snowboarding.

In terms of the seat, I've had absolutely no difficulty fitting the one we have, and it goes in cars which don't have isofix mounting points.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:05 pm

For what it is worth... my personal parenting buying history.

Good

Slings - seriously a life changer... couldn't recommend enough. As a result we barely used a pram / buggy with our first. Started with a stretchy for newborns... and moved onto a buckles carrier from around 12 weeks to 15 months. The cloth carriers are much easier than the big metal framed numbers, and imo no less comfortable.

Breast Pump - A recent purchase... we had a terrible electric tommy tippee one after the first. If you have a need for a really expensive option then the Medela one we used in hospital was great, but for occasional use this manual one is much better than far more expensive options.

Bouncy Chair - To be honest I wasn't sold on the idea of these... but this chair is responsible for so many hours of blissful sleep that I can't not recommend it. I'm sure there are a thousand others that do just as good a job, but this was ours.

Meh

Jumperoo - Was ok for a couple of months... but is mega expensive and takes up an average premier league centre circle of space.

Expensive Travel System - I think ours is an Oyster... we thought it would be really important to have a variety of options in a buggy... we even nearly bought one with a 2 child option that would have been an absolute tank. Being able to clip the car seat on to run around a supermarket without waking a sleeping child is useful... by and large we have used either slings, or a stroller mostly.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:19 pm

Not crashing is always the best option. Given we were moments behind a fatal head on collision caused by someone racing the wrong way along a Belfast motorway on Sunday, it should be noted it's sometimes not an option.

Taking an attitude that we were ok so that's safe enough is obviously flawed thinking. That's not to say safety advice can't be improved or is just wrong. As much as we try there will be some problem that hasn't been thought of. I think you have to find a happy medium between ignoring advice and letting it drive your decisions.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:21 pm

theadore wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:05 pm
For what it is worth... my personal parenting buying history.

Good

Slings - seriously a life changer... couldn't recommend enough. As a result we barely used a pram / buggy with our first. Started with a stretchy for newborns... and moved onto a buckles carrier from around 12 weeks to 15 months. The cloth carriers are much easier than the big metal framed numbers, and imo no less comfortable.

Breast Pump - A recent purchase... we had a terrible electric tommy tippee one after the first. If you have a need for a really expensive option then the Medela one we used in hospital was great, but for occasional use this manual one is much better than far more expensive options.

Bouncy Chair - To be honest I wasn't sold on the idea of these... but this chair is responsible for so many hours of blissful sleep that I can't not recommend it. I'm sure there are a thousand others that do just as good a job, but this was ours.

Meh

Jumperoo - Was ok for a couple of months... but is mega expensive and takes up an average premier league centre circle of space.

Expensive Travel System - I think ours is an Oyster... we thought it would be really important to have a variety of options in a buggy... we even nearly bought one with a 2 child option that would have been an absolute tank. Being able to clip the car seat on to run around a supermarket without waking a sleeping child is useful... by and large we have used either slings, or a stroller mostly.
The jumperoo was great for a couple of months but that's about it; and my god does it take up space.

Totally with you on the travel system as well. We've now switched to a cheap Cosatto fold up buggy and its so much better in terms of space that it takes up, amd mechanically; no bicycle style brakes to keep buggering up. Would be alright if they didn't hide all the mechanism behind plastic....

The sling we have is great, the other half won't/can't use it due to lifting restrictions though. The other things we threw cash at that was great were the bedside cot and a good high chair, latter more for aesthetic reasons.

Cheap stuff that's great: white noise machine, black out blinds, Medela bottles and teats.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:22 am

I'm Rover the moon to announce the arrival of my daughter Ziora Willow Olanna, who joined us at 17.45 yesterday evening.