The US sports thread

There must be more to life than football?
Jim
Experienced international star

Re: The US sports thread

Post by Jim » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:30 pm

I’ve been saying the Jags are the worst possible matchup for the Pats since the halfway point of the season. They’re far, far better than most people give them credit for.

That said, that hit on Gronk was just a pure dirty play. Could of knocked the guy out the game (I hope not). Wasn’t necessary and completely uncalled for.

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:34 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:29 pm
A delay of game penalty, after a timeout. And then 47 yards of penalties to gift New England 7 points....
A delay of game after a timeout that’s completely on Jacksonville, that’s a huge no-no, and 47 yards of legitimate holding penalty. You can’t grab a guy 40 odd yards downfield and not give up a penalty.

Referees got both calls right and the worst thing with the holding call is that it was completely unnecessary. Bouye had perfect coverage.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:13 pm

I wasn't convinced on the pass interference call, he was just running him out of bounds which seemed fair to me; the helmet to helmet on Gronk was right as a penalty cause they're the rules, though Richard Sherman makes a fair point about what else is the defensive back meant to be allowed to do? Not dirty play, it looks much worse in slow mo, Church was bracing himself for being hit by Gronk as much as anything.

Jacksonville doing a good job on third downs which has been the difference so far. Don't think they have a big enough lead though, those silly penalties at the end of the first half have cost them big, turning a potential 21-3 lead into a one possession game.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:44 pm

More imbalanced officiating; a Pats receiver gets touched and it's pass interference, whereas the Pats can manhandle receivers as they like....

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:25 am

2 halves... Jaguars the it away really.. but from the start of the 4th the was only going to be one winner.

Neither team looked particularly great... But patriots had a bit too much class in the end.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:54 am

theadore wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:25 am
2 halves... Jaguars the it away really.. but from the start of the 4th the was only going to be one winner.

Neither team looked particularly great... But patriots had a bit too much class in the end.
You're spot on with the Jags giving it away. Those stupid penalties at the end of the first half cost them dearly, along with a few bad ref calls (couple of dubious pass interferences and then not being allowed to run the fumble back).

It's what I find so annoying about New England: too often they win because the other team threw it away.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:48 am

credit where it's due - Cooks and Amendola did well to exploit the Jags coverage falling apart.

Eagles? :shock: Glad they haven't fallen apart since Wentz went down... and I've had a soft spot for them given my fantasy teams reliance on Ertz... but Nick Foles in the superbowl?

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:57 am

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:42 am

Meanwhile the MVP nonsense continues; Brady is MVP but not offensive player of the year..... Which is given to Gurley..... :?

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:40 am

Called it...
But, look, we know how this works. Quarterbacks get the MVP, and running backs or receivers the OPOY.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... _clipboard

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:03 pm

I still have Aaron Donald down as MVP in any case. Outstanding season as a DT.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:22 am

theadore wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:48 am
but Nick Foles in the superbowl?
:oops:

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:14 pm

The best team won, simple as that. Both offenses played out of their skin (Foles particularly was exceptional) both defenses were atrocious but crucially the Eagles defense made one exceptional play when it counted with only 2 minutes left in the game and the Patriots were STILL only a hair from scoring at the death on the Hail Mary attempt.

There’s a lot of conspiracy theories in Patriots land right now and I’m not giving any of them the time of day because it’s no excuse for playing that poorly on defense. There’s definitely clear proof of blatant missed calls by the officials, particularly on the final Hail Mary play, and I personally cannot understand how the Eagles TD by the running back wasn’t called off when plays like it had been ruled out all season long, I don’t know. Bout time the Patriots got a taste of their own medicine though, might finally put to bed the “they get all the calls” madness.

I doubt we’ll ever know why Belichick benched one of our best defensive players for the entire game and a genuine hero in New England for what he did against the Seahawks, or what he was doing playing the woeful Richards at safety who has been outmuscled and outplayed by opposition players all season.

A very bitter end to a season, but, knowing my team the way I do. They’ll get better on defense, they’ll make a splash in the draft and free agency and they will go all out for the win next season.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:39 pm

Nah... Brady retires, Patriots spend all their draft picks and free agency money trying to get Jimmy Garappolo back... Belichick goes back to Cleveland for 'unfinished business' and Patriots pick up the number 1 pick in 2020.

:lol:

Cracking game to watch though... to be honest I couldn't work out whether the defences were bad or the offensive lines were just playing flawlessly. I seriously doubt that any superbowl quarterback will ever have as easy a time of it again.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:04 pm

I was a little disappointed that the quarterback being the first to throw and catch a touchdown pass in a super bowl game wasn't in the same move...