The US sports thread

There must be more to life than football?
mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re: The US sports thread

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:15 pm

Still. The main reason you can't see the reason for the dislike is cause you're a fan. Like I said with Manure fans.

Let's not forget that they're named after a terrorist group as well.... ;)

Jim
Experienced international star

Post by Jim » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:27 pm

A terrorist group from the Metal Gear Solid series? :shrug:

I think you may be right, being a fan does give you less perspective but I happen to be one of the more realistic fans, there are some whose arrogance absolutely fucks me off and I’m likely to tell them that. I’ve seen it today about the Titans game, the sense of entitlement just really annoys me.

It could have all been so different if the coin flip was different during the Pats vs Eagles Super Bowl in 2004. I could have been an Eagles fan and hating the Patriots along with the rest of you :lol:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:46 pm

No, the Boston Patriots, more than arguably a terrorist group in the 1700s leading up to the US war of independence.

The arrogance of Patriots fans is definitely a big factor in the hatred, hence the likening to Manure fans.

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:04 pm

Very good point, I should have known you meant the Boston Patriots... ironically that was the original name of the New England Patriots... and they played their games at both Fenway Park and Harvard university.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:42 am

Watching the New Engkand v Tennessee game; so far some bullshit rulings all in favour of the Patriots..... Easy to win when the officials are on your side.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:52 am

And getting away with facemasks...

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:54 am

And the clock myseteriously delayong on the second before the half.... At least they missed the kick.

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:00 pm

There’s bad calls and bad officiating in every game, some for and some against. There were quite a few holds and facemasks missed committed by the Titans too.

Also are you trying to say the NFL is somehow aiding the Patriots by messing with the clock? Because the game clock is controlled completely by them and is no way controlled by the home team. I personally thought time had expired also and was surprised it stood. But it is what it is.

The Patriots were far and away the better side throughout and regardless of a few bad calls by the officials, they’d have still won comfortably. Titans started well but it usually takes the Patriots a few series to really hit stride and once they did they moved the ball at will. Impressive drive by Mariota for the opening touchdown though. Part of me was pretty pleased about that because I could imagine the looks on some of our arrogant fans faces that their cakewalk was turning into a game.

The Pats had their best ever playoff pass rushing game, sacking Mariota, a consistently hard guy to sack due to his mobility, 8 times and completely shut down Henry. It it wasn’t for a garbage time touchdown the game would have been more lop-sided. It annoys me that because of a bad judgement call by the officials the talk will be about that instead of what was a damn good Patriots performance.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:23 pm

Not disagreeibg that New England were by far and away the better team, but they absolutely got the rub of the decisions in the first half. The Decker pass interference, the second TD was definitely knee down before the ball broke the plane of the goal line and the neutral zone infraction call when punting were all ridiculous decisions.

Smacks of Fergie time....

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:16 pm

Yeah I have to agree the Decker pass interference call was total bullshit. Not only was it inside 5 yards but both players had hands all over. If anything offset penalties and replay the down but even that would be harsh.

I didn’t get a good look at the dodgy false start/encroachment penalty but I’ve read the officials transcript on how they called it. One official saw the Pats guy jump first, another guy saw the Titans player move first and they agreed between themselves it was a neutral zone infraction. In real time I honestly couldn’t call it either way.

The touchdown though was too hard to call. There was no one definitive camera angle to say it didn’t cross. I thought it did and they made the right call but it was close.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:36 pm

Jim wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:16 pm
Yeah I have to agree the Decker pass interference call was total bullshit. Not only was it inside 5 yards but both players had hands all over. If anything offset penalties and replay the down but even that would be harsh.

I didn’t get a good look at the dodgy false start/encroachment penalty but I’ve read the officials transcript on how they called it. One official saw the Pats guy jump first, another guy saw the Titans player move first and they agreed between themselves it was a neutral zone infraction. In real time I honestly couldn’t call it either way.

The touchdown though was too hard to call. There was no one definitive camera angle to say it didn’t cross. I thought it did and they made the right call but it was close.
There was no one shot that showed it, but there was a shot which showed when the ball crossed the plane and another where his knee was down, and a third at the same time as his knee down where he clearly wasn't over the plane. I'm amazed they don't use multiple replays with timecode which would have cleared it up.

The false start/encroachment looked like they went at the same time to me. Not sure which way the rules mean that should go.

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:02 pm

Well my predictions went down the toilet didn’t they. What a weekend of games. Both the Sunday games were absolutely outstanding. Sadly I missed both of them so I’ve only seen highlights.

The Steelers paid for underestimating the Jags. They were so focused on revenge against the Patriots that they lost sight of what they were facing.

Roethlisberger couldn’t have played better by all accounts but the Steelers coaching however... dire. I heard the play calling was dire.

Then the Vikes winning on a ridiculous last minute play. 99.9% of the time a defender would play that safe and let him catch the ball before making the tackle. No chance they’d have had time to get another play off and the game would have been over. What on earth the kid was thinking going for a tackle like that. I feel for him.

Next weekends games are going to be very interesting. I know for a fact that the Patriots will not underestimate the Jags like the Steelers did but as I said weeks ago, the Jags are a horror matchup for the Pats. The way to stop them is press man-to-man coverage at the line and bring pressure inside so stop Brady stepping up, or flush him out the pocket altogether. Sadly the Jags defense has been playing that game all season.

I also think the Vikes are gonna have just enough to beat he Eagles and play the Super Bowl on home turf. Nobody is going to Minnesota, against that Vikes defense and coming away with a win. It’s their year I’m certain and wouldn’t begrudge them the win.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:15 pm

Jim wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:02 pm
Well my predictions went down the toilet didn’t they. What a weekend of games. Both the Sunday games were absolutely outstanding. Sadly I missed both of them so I’ve only seen highlights.

The Steelers paid for underestimating the Jags. They were so focused on revenge against the Patriots that they lost sight of what they were facing.

Roethlisberger couldn’t have played better by all accounts but the Steelers coaching however... dire. I heard the play calling was dire.

Then the Vikes winning on a ridiculous last minute play. 99.9% of the time a defender would play that safe and let him catch the ball before making the tackle. No chance they’d have had time to get another play off and the game would have been over. What on earth the kid was thinking going for a tackle like that. I feel for him.

Next weekends games are going to be very interesting. I know for a fact that the Patriots will not underestimate the Jags like the Steelers did but as I said weeks ago, the Jags are a horror matchup for the Pats. The way to stop them is press man-to-man coverage at the line and bring pressure inside so stop Brady stepping up, or flush him out the pocket altogether. Sadly the Jags defense has been playing that game all season.

I also think the Vikes are gonna have just enough to beat he Eagles and play the Super Bowl on home turf. Nobody is going to Minnesota, against that Vikes defense and coming away with a win. It’s their year I’m certain and wouldn’t begrudge them the win.
He was trying to make sure he didn't give away any kind of pass interference call. Plus, for all the vilification, the Saints wouldn't have been in the game if he hadn't intercepted Keenum.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:40 pm

Early lead for the Jags..... Come on!

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:29 pm

A delay of game penalty, after a timeout. And then 47 yards of penalties to gift New England 7 points....