The US sports thread

There must be more to life than football?
Post Reply
User avatar
Jim
Experienced international star
Posts: 1847
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:51 pm
Location: Barnsley in Gods Own County
Contact:

The US sports thread

Post by Jim » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:18 pm

As requested here is the thread for all sports talk from the Yank side of the pond, be it American football, baseball, ice hockey, basketball or regular football... maybe even other stuff like Nascar or Lacrosse (if anyone follows that?)

So we have the Superbowl coming up, the ice hockey and basketball seasons are about half way through... so can the Celtics go all the way this year? Will the Patriots ever lose again? Who is going to the Superbowl? Will you be watching the Superbowl? Who do we all support in the respective sports?

Answers in this thread!

For the record, I've been a New England Patriots and a Boston Red Sox fan for about four years now, I started supporting the Red Sox based entirely on location, Boston is a fantastic city and the sports scene is excellent. I started supporting the Pats in 2004, I switched on the TV late one night, the Superbowl was on, watched the build up... was a team in blue (Pats) versus a team in green (Eagles)... pretty much 50/50 choice between which team got my support before kickoff... I fell asleep pretty soon afterwards and spent all the next day trying to find out who won!!! Turned out the Pats won, so I picked the right team! I really got behind the Bruins last season and the Celtics half way through last year, although I follow their progress a lot less than the Pats and Red Sox.

I also play amateur American football over here in the BAFL league for the South Yorkshire (formerly Doncaster) Mustangs as a lineman, defensive and offensive when the situation calls for it, and last year wore #68 jersey. Our website, when its up and running, is http://www.doncastermustangs.org/ and here is another helpful website for anyone new to the game who wants to understand the rules http://www.getintoamericanfootball.com/.

Hope this thread takes off! I know already there are a few closet gridiron fans here! Even if it is just playing lots of Madden! :D

User avatar
RoryoftheRovers
Regular international
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:36 pm
Contact:

Re: The US sports thread

Post by RoryoftheRovers » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:21 pm

Jim wrote:As requested here is the thread for all sports talk from the Yank side of the pond, be it American football, baseball, ice hockey, basketball or regular football... maybe even other stuff like Nascar or Lacrosse (if anyone follows that?)

So we have the Superbowl coming up, the ice hockey and basketball seasons are about half way through... so can the Celtics go all the way this year? Will the Patriots ever lose again? Who is going to the Superbowl? Will you be watching the Superbowl? Who do we all support in the respective sports?

Answers in this thread!

For the record, I've been a New England Patriots and a Boston Red Sox fan for about four years now, I started supporting the Red Sox based entirely on location, Boston is a fantastic city and the sports scene is excellent. I started supporting the Pats in 2004, I switched on the TV late one night, the Superbowl was on, watched the build up... was a team in blue (Pats) versus a team in green (Eagles)... pretty much 50/50 choice between which team got my support before kickoff... I fell asleep pretty soon afterwards and spent all the next day trying to find out who won!!! Turned out the Pats won, so I picked the right team! I really got behind the Bruins last season and the Celtics half way through last year, although I follow their progress a lot less than the Pats and Red Sox.

I also play amateur American football over here in the BAFL league for the South Yorkshire (formerly Doncaster) Mustangs as a lineman, defensive and offensive when the situation calls for it, and last year wore #68 jersey. Our website, when its up and running, is http://www.doncastermustangs.org/ and here is another helpful website for anyone new to the game who wants to understand the rules http://www.getintoamericanfootball.com/.

Hope this thread takes off! I know already there are a few closet gridiron fans here! Even if it is just playing lots of Madden! :D

Good job, i watch it but definatly don't know enough. First quick question, i watched highlights of Dallas vs NJ and ely (?) manning was playing at QB. Is that Paignton Mannings brother?

User avatar
Jim
Experienced international star
Posts: 1847
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:51 pm
Location: Barnsley in Gods Own County
Contact:

Re: The US sports thread

Post by Jim » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:25 pm

Yup, Eli is Peytons brother... you'll soon realise just how annoying that name is in the American football scene... in America, as i'm sure our American members will tell you, Peyton Manning is on TV every other advert endorsing everything... yet he's a choker, pure and simple. His face and his retard accent annoys the fuck out of me too... there is a huge rivalry between my team, the Pats with Tom Brady at QB and the Indianapolis Colts, with Peyton Manning at QB... so theres genuine hatred going on! :D Its getting close to the Red Sox & Yankees rivalry... which is really saying something!

Peyton is a very good football player, the second best QB in the game behind Tom Brady, but just chokes when the pressure is on. His brother Eli has a reputation too. He was originally drafted by the San Diego Chargers, but he kicked and spat out his dummy and demanded a trade, going to the New York Giants, where he is now. He's not a patch on his brother, is a average QB, and only really these last few weeks has he been showing real form.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26788
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: The US sports thread

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:31 pm

American Rugby is growing on me. It's still arduous to watch a full game live - by halftime I'm bored of all the ads and mindless prattle about stats... they make Nasser Hussein and Mike Atherton sound interesting. But the highlights programmes are much easier, even if you do know something is about to happen on the drive you're watching.

Was disappointed that the Jaguars didn't beat the Patriots - they're my Madden "superstar's" team (I'm the NFL's best cornerback :)), so I recognised the names of a lot of their players, and David Garrard's 32 yard run on 4th down the week before was as exciting as anything I've seen whilst watching live.

User avatar
theadore
Inexperienced manager
Posts: 9552
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:25 pm

Re: The US sports thread

Post by theadore » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:42 pm

Rover the Top wrote:American Rugby
Even Rugby is Rugby Football... ;)

Use to watch quite a bit of American Football when it was on channel 4... the coverage was a lot better back then imo. Picked up a 49ers affiliation mainly because Joe Montana was playing... you had heard of him over here even if you didn't watch the sport.

As for other american sport... follow the Rangers in Hockey... probably second only to Rovers. Follow the Celtics in Basketball... primarily for the humouir of supporting both Rangers and Celtic... and partly because everyone in Boston thinks they're Irish which is something i pretend myself from time to time.... plus have to follow at least one Boston team if only for the Dropkick Murphy's sake.

Other than that not really interested... baseball is the most sinfully dull game in the history of sport... i can't see any merit in the game at all. Would like to watch the Chivas play football for the supposedly wacky crowd... if I was to pick an MLS team it would be them.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26788
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: The US sports thread

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:45 pm

theadore wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:American Rugby
Even Rugby is Rugby Football... ;)
Your point? ;)

User avatar
theadore
Inexperienced manager
Posts: 9552
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:25 pm

Re: The US sports thread

Post by theadore » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:51 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
theadore wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:American Rugby
Even Rugby is Rugby Football... ;)
Your point? ;)
I seldom have points.

Noticed this today... don't know if any NFL fans can give an opinion on Phillipe Gardent (Redskins)

LNIK

He is signing for Celtic Crusaders to play rugby league... while they're a second tier club they pretty much garanteed to be in superleague when the franchise system starts next year. He will therefore have played 3 different sports at the very top level... pretty impressive?

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17424
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: The US sports thread

Post by Gibbon » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:02 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
theadore wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:American Rugby
Even Rugby is Rugby Football... ;)
Your point? ;)
Well obviously that means 'American Rugby' should actually have been 'American Rugby Soccer' ;)

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14271
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: The US sports thread

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:36 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:
theadore wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:American Rugby
Even Rugby is Rugby Football... ;)
Your point? ;)
Well obviously that means 'American Rugby' should actually have been 'American Rugby Soccer' ;)
No. "Soccer" is short for "Association football". So it should actually be rugby football, soccer football, and American rugby football (as it's a direct alteration of rugby.)

Jadeen
New signing
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: East Coast (Canada) now -- formerly Detroit, Toronto, Montreal, Calgary
Contact:

Re: The US sports thread

Post by Jadeen » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:41 pm

Jim wrote:As requested here is the thread for all sports talk from the Yank side of the pond, be it American football, baseball, ice hockey, basketball or regular football... maybe even other stuff like Nascar or Lacrosse (if anyone follows that?) [...]
Jim: you should give American college basketball an opportunity to impress. Far far better than NBA, IMHO. The players are fighting to get into the NBA, so the competition and quality of playing is fierce.

User avatar
RoryoftheRovers
Regular international
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:36 pm
Contact:

Re: The US sports thread

Post by RoryoftheRovers » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:46 pm

Where are all these American/Canadian's coming from. Everytime i look at this thread there is another one! Unbelieveable, and to think people know the rovers over there! Quick tell the board to get a franchising feeder club!!

Jadeen
New signing
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: East Coast (Canada) now -- formerly Detroit, Toronto, Montreal, Calgary
Contact:

Re: The US sports thread

Post by Jadeen » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:48 pm

RoryoftheRovers wrote:Where are all these American/Canadian's coming from. Everytime i look at this thread there is another one! Unbelieveable, and to think people know the rovers over there! Quick tell the board to get a franchising feeder club!!
I've prolly been a member of RoversTalk longer than you, m'dear :) I just normally don't post... :P

Willy
Ageing international
Posts: 3255
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: Brun Lea

Re: The US sports thread

Post by Willy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:52 am

Like a footballer that belongs to a club but never plays? ;)

User avatar
Joe
Ageing international
Posts: 3561
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:04 pm

Re: The US sports thread

Post by Joe » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:20 pm

What does Jessica Simpson have to do with the NFL?

Willy
Ageing international
Posts: 3255
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: Brun Lea

Re: The US sports thread

Post by Willy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:25 pm

Is it a joke?

She thinks the Buffalos have wings, right?

Post Reply