The US sports thread

There must be more to life than football?
RoryoftheRovers
Regular international

Re: The US sports thread

Post by RoryoftheRovers » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:28 pm

Jadeen wrote:
RoryoftheRovers wrote:Where are all these American/Canadian's coming from. Everytime i look at this thread there is another one! Unbelieveable, and to think people know the rovers over there! Quick tell the board to get a franchising feeder club!!
I've prolly been a member of RoversTalk longer than you, m'dear :) I just normally don't post... :P
Yes it is true, but how was i to know that your on here if you dont post!! Maybe it was you who started the revolution?! :mygod: Jadeen, roverstalk very own che guevarra!

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:30 pm

Joe wrote:What does Jessica Simpson have to do with the NFL?
Wasn't meant to be. Whenever SSN have their little American Sports news section, I always seem to see Jessica Simpson mentioned.

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:35 pm

Maybe banging the shit out of Jessica Simpson is a sport. :-?

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:37 pm

Willy wrote: She thinks the Buffalos have wings, right?
No, but she thinks that chickens have gills

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:43 pm

Yep, I caught the same episode of "Newlyweds" to see that observation she made in full flow. And no, I don't make a habit of watching Newlyweds.

"Buffalo wings are like, the wings of a buffalo, right?"..."no Jess, they just originate from Buffalo, that's where the recipe is from"..."oh, so they're not, like, actual wings from a bufallo's back?"....

:dunce: :numpty; :dunce: :numpty; :dunce: :numpty;

Jim
Experienced international star

Post by Jim » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:26 pm

Joe wrote:What does Jessica Simpson have to do with the NFL?
She was blamed almost entirely by Dallas Cowboys fans for ruining the performances of their "star" QB Tony Romo, who she is seeing.

As delusional as they are, they thought that her being in the crowd to watch him, and the cameras focusing on her every other second, somehow put him off.

Romo is good but he's still a pretender. Has a long way to go yet to be up there with Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Brett Favre.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:48 pm

Jim wrote:Brett Favre.
who must be 900 by now?

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:56 pm

theadore wrote:
Jim wrote:Brett Favre.
who must be 900 by now?
And not screwing Jessica Simpson... :scratch:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:56 am

Had a good laugh watching the ice hockey at Blackburn last night - only the second time I've been, and the other was a long, long time ago. The players seemed to have a strange attitude, getting themselves sent off for fighting over something and nothing. One of the Blackburn players, having been fouled, wrestled the opposing player to the ground, started punching him in the head, then threw his helmet out of the rink. And then chased the other player into the dressing room when both were sent off. It's funny to watch, but I can't understand what's going through their heads?

Oh, and I got hit by the puck... saw the player swing his stick at it, but had no idea where it went until it hit the net in front of me and bounced off my chest. :oops:

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:23 am

Cool! I didn't know Blackburn had a ice hockey team. You got hit with the puck? Christ that must have bloody hurt. Theres a reason the goalies wear all that armour! Blackburns looking good in the sports scene now... they have a amateur american football team too called the Wolverines (I believe) that recently started up.

Anyway Gridiron... my Pats beat the Chargers to win the AFC title and go to the Superbowl in two weeks time... Tom Brady had a "off" day but the running game and defense made up for that. Excellent win... never been so nervous watching American football in all my life. But so relieved when we won!

In the NFC title game the Giants beat the Packers, which really was something of a upset. Seems like they won on a last minute field goal kicked by a Scot of all people! Used to play for the Claymores up in Scotland in the NFL Europa league and since then has been around the NFL for a few years now, he's called Lawrence Tynes. Saw some of the game, but lacked the stamina to watch it all... so missed the key last quarter. Looked in all honesty, to me, that the Packers had enough to win. I was clearly wrong...

So on to the Superbowl! Glendale, Arizona, two weeks time... in the NFL equivalent of the Milennium stadium... best new stadium in the league, hot weather, and in a dome... all bodes well for the Pats passing game! I can't see the Giants having a chance in this game... Patriots win, go 19-0 and into the history books!

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:45 am

Jim wrote:Cool! I didn't know Blackburn had a ice hockey team. You got hit with the puck? Christ that must have bloody hurt. Theres a reason the goalies wear all that armour!
Hardly felt it, it travelled a long way, upwards, and there was a net in front of me which took all the pace out of it. I just looked silly for not moving out the way... :oops:

Having looked into the team's history, it must have been 16 years since we saw the first game... we weren't particularly taken to it, hence why it's been so long since we went again. But I enjoyed it yesterday, particularly since we spent the whole game in the bar area behind the goal... :pissed: I think we'll be going again, by the third period (and third pint), we were starting to get a bit vocal and cheering what we thought was good play... as if we knew! :oops:

RoryoftheRovers
Regular international

Post by RoryoftheRovers » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:53 pm

Quick couple of questions about NHL;

How comes that fighting is so well excepted in the game? I know that it comes part and parcel of a physical game, like in Rugby sometimes players go at it with each other, But unlike rugby the commentators in NHL start to cover the footage of the fight as if its a small bonus game?! They even give opinions on who won the fight?

i watched a documentary once on players who were on the fringes of being signed and played for what i presumed to be semi pro hockey clubs, there wasone guy who's aim was just to fight with other "hard men". He was obviously a decent player too but he wasn't chosen becuase of doing a "cheap shot" which he was later felt guilty about.

Also was there a massive fight in a match recently which resulted in the most penalty minutes ever? What was all that about? is it on Youtube?

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:29 pm

it has always been part of the game... there has been moves to stop it, but generally each team carries a couple of player who want to fight... and they mainly fight amongst themselves (like football hooligans) so there is no reall calls for banning it.

it is penalised (unlike rugby) and people get on with it afterwards.

wierd situation i suppose, but it all seems quite sane when you hear hockey players talk about it.

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:54 pm

So Superbowl sunday is almost upon us!

New England Pats vs New York Giants

Live on BBC2 at 10:50pm or 10:00pm Sky Sports 1/Sky Sports 1 HD

Its the greatest show on turf... no other single sporting event is surrounded by so much hype, bluster or attention... its the greatest ever American football team versus a team who barely even scraped into the playoffs, who some have dubbed the worse superbowl team ever. However forms stands for nothing in the Superbowl... its gonna be one hell of a show!

Anyway! Who will be watching? Where will you be watching? Which channel will you be watching on? Who will you be supporting?

For the record, I'll be watching at a mates place infront of a 50" telly, watching on the BBC (they have the better pundits, and probably will be the best for newcomers to the game) and will as always be supporting the super Pats! I won't make a stab at the score though... don't want to risk looking a plank or to tempt fate!

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:22 pm

I reckon it'll be a draw.