The US sports thread

There must be more to life than football?
Gibbon
Promising manager

Re: The US sports thread

Post by Gibbon » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:26 pm

I'm backing the New England Giants. :scratch: :king: :dunce:

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:29 pm

Pennsylvania Terrapins for me, can't see past them for the cup.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:30 pm

Jim wrote:Its the greatest show on turf... no other single sporting event is surrounded by so much hype, bluster or attention... its the greatest ever American football team versus a team who barely even scraped into the playoffs, who some have dubbed the worse superbowl team ever. However forms stands for nothing in the Superbowl... its gonna be one hell of a show!
Or been so undermimed by a flash of 40 yearold jackson breast

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:35 pm

Jim wrote:team who barely even scraped into the playoffs, who some have dubbed the worse superbowl team ever. However forms stands for nothing in the Superbowl
Surely that just means their form came good? You don't win games by being out of form....

And I would disagree about it being the greatest show on turf. World Cup Final has to beat it hands down.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:45 pm

Don't be silly, how could a 'soccer' match be the greatest show when most Americans don't watch it... ;)

I'd watch it if it was on at a sensible time.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:57 pm

You just need a sensible job that starts at 3pm like me ;)

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:02 pm

ethiaa wrote:You just need a sensible job that starts at 3pm like me ;)
But Eth, not everyone wants to be a fluffer. ;)

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:27 pm

Gibbon wrote:
ethiaa wrote:You just need a sensible job that starts at 3pm like me ;)
But Eth, not everyone wants to be a fluffer. ;)
Bollocks, yes they do.

RoryoftheRovers
Regular international

Post by RoryoftheRovers » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:02 pm

Right just bought NHL 07 cause thats my favorite american sport innit. I've started a "dynasty" with the Bruins, which is a bit like doing master league on Pro evo for those who don't understand. I'm a little lost in the whole trading, and waivers things but its the league standings that is really confusing for my little head.

It shows figures for games won, tied, lost, win %, points but they seem to mean very little in terms of the standings. I so confused because if i keep winning then surely this means i finish top no?! Also whats the point in all the conferences, what does winning each one mean and which one determines whether i can get into the Stanley Cup??????

Dont get me started on what the hell the offside is!!

I didn't know any of the players really so i wiki-ed it and traded 6 players for Scott Neidamayer and Joe Thornton and they are pretty good, also picked up tie domi on a free cause i saw loads of vids of him fighting. Any who can anyone help please?!

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:38 pm

Jim
Experienced international star

Post by Jim » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:21 pm

RoryoftheRovers wrote:Right just bought NHL 07 cause thats my favorite american sport innit. I've started a "dynasty" with the Bruins, which is a bit like doing master league on Pro evo for those who don't understand. I'm a little lost in the whole trading, and waivers things but its the league standings that is really confusing for my little head.

It shows figures for games won, tied, lost, win %, points but they seem to mean very little in terms of the standings. I so confused because if i keep winning then surely this means i finish top no?! Also whats the point in all the conferences, what does winning each one mean and which one determines whether i can get into the Stanley Cup??????

I didn't know any of the players really so i wiki-ed it and traded 6 players for Scott Neidamayer and Joe Thornton and they are pretty good, also picked up tie domi on a free cause i saw loads of vids of him fighting. Any who can anyone help please?!
Right where do I start... This article on the NHL will give you some basic guidance.

Trades and waivers... right lemme try and explain in basics... in American sports there is no trading cash for players like in soccer (saying it for ease in this US sports thread), if teams want a opposition player badly enough they have to part with players, prospects or both to get them. Draft picks can also be used (in american football in particular... draft picks are like gold-dust) and cash can also be used as a incentive, but only with a player in the trade too. So in other words its aiming to keep parity... by one team trading for another teams best player, they will get a top player in return, a top youth prospect or a high draft pick in compensation.

Waivers are when a team wants to cancel a players contract, he has to clear waivers to be sent down to the "farm" teams (like our reserve or youth teams), or to reach free agency. During the waiver period any team can put a claim in for the player and depending on a number of factors, he will join a team that claims him and keeps his old contract in the process.

The standings and conferences are there because North America is such a huge area... it has to be split. In the NHL's case its split into Eastern and Western conferences, with the Eastern containing the Atlantic, Northwest and Southeast leagues, and the Western containing the Central, Northwest and Pacific leagues. There is a good map on that link I posted at the start that shows how simple it all is.

What happens with the standings and the playoffs is:
At the end of the regular season, the team that finishes with the most points in each division is crowned the division champion with the league overall leader awarded the Presidents' Trophy. The three division champions along with the five other teams in each conference with the next highest number of points, for a total of 8 teams in each conference, qualify for the playoffs. The division winners are seeded one through three (even if a non-division winner has a higher point total), and the next five teams with the best records in the conference are seeded four through eight. The Stanley Cup Playoffs is an elimination tournament, where two teams battle to win a best-of-seven series in order to advance to the next round. The first round of the playoffs, or conference quarterfinals, consists of the first seed playing the eighth seed, the second playing the seventh, third playing the sixth, and the fourth playing the fifth. In the second round, or conference semifinals, the NHL re-seeds the teams, with the top remaining conference seed playing against the lowest remaining seed, and the other two remaining conference teams pairing off. In the third round, the conference finals, the two remaining teams in each conference play each other, with the conference champions proceeding to the Stanley Cup Finals.
Complicated... definitely not as easy to get your head around than the NFL. Hope thats helped somewhat.

RoryoftheRovers
Regular international

Post by RoryoftheRovers » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:11 pm

Jim wrote:
RoryoftheRovers wrote:Right just bought NHL 07 cause thats my favorite american sport innit. I've started a "dynasty" with the Bruins, which is a bit like doing master league on Pro evo for those who don't understand. I'm a little lost in the whole trading, and waivers things but its the league standings that is really confusing for my little head.

Right where do I start... This article on the NHL will give you some basic guidance.

Trades and waivers... right lemme try and explain in basics... in American sports there is no trading cash for players like in soccer (saying it for ease in this US sports thread), if teams want a opposition player badly enough they have to part with players, prospects or both to get them. Draft picks can also be used (in american football in particular... draft picks are like gold-dust) and cash can also be used as a incentive, but only with a player in the trade too. So in other words its aiming to keep parity... by one team trading for another teams best player, they will get a top player in return, a top youth prospect or a high draft pick in compensation.

Waivers are when a team wants to cancel a players contract, he has to clear waivers to be sent down to the "farm" teams (like our reserve or youth teams), or to reach free agency. During the waiver period any team can put a claim in for the player and depending on a number of factors, he will join a team that claims him and keeps his old contract in the process.

The standings and conferences are there because North America is such a huge area... it has to be split. In the NHL's case its split into Eastern and Western conferences, with the Eastern containing the Atlantic, Northwest and Southeast leagues, and the Western containing the Central, Northwest and Pacific leagues. There is a good map on that link I posted at the start that shows how simple it all is.

What happens with the standings and the playoffs is:
At the end of the regular season, the team that finishes with the most points in each division is crowned the division champion with the league overall leader awarded the Presidents' Trophy. The three division champions along with the five other teams in each conference with the next highest number of points, for a total of 8 teams in each conference, qualify for the playoffs. The division winners are seeded one through three (even if a non-division winner has a higher point total), and the next five teams with the best records in the conference are seeded four through eight. The Stanley Cup Playoffs is an elimination tournament, where two teams battle to win a best-of-seven series in order to advance to the next round. The first round of the playoffs, or conference quarterfinals, consists of the first seed playing the eighth seed, the second playing the seventh, third playing the sixth, and the fourth playing the fifth. In the second round, or conference semifinals, the NHL re-seeds the teams, with the top remaining conference seed playing against the lowest remaining seed, and the other two remaining conference teams pairing off. In the third round, the conference finals, the two remaining teams in each conference play each other, with the conference champions proceeding to the Stanley Cup Finals.
Complicated... definitely not as easy to get your head around than the NFL. Hope thats helped somewhat.
Hey Jim thanks for that, nice for you to take some time out to help me understand. Its a lot clearer now so i can crack on with my dynasty now!

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:16 am

Jim wrote: its the greatest ever American football team versus a team who barely even scraped into the playoffs, who some have dubbed the worse superbowl team ever.
Greatest ever American Football team 14 - The worst Superbowl team ever 17.

:scratch:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:11 am

Rover the Top wrote:
Jim wrote: its the greatest ever American football team versus a team who barely even scraped into the playoffs, who some have dubbed the worse superbowl team ever.
Greatest ever American Football team 14 - The worst Superbowl team ever 17.

:scratch:
*tries not to snigger*

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:23 am

mrblackbat wrote:
*tries not to snigger*
Why? I've been sniggering since switching on SSN this morning... :D Just sums up what a stupid idea playoffs are, though. You can win 18 games and lose just one and still finish second to a team who'd lost 6 times over the season... :dunce:

I suppose it adds some drama to it that nothing was decided until the very last minute of the season, but it sucks for the Patriots. Ah well... :D