Work Rants

Life's a bitch. Post your moans, groans and general annoyances here.
mrblackbat
Promising manager

Work Rants

Post by mrblackbat » Tue May 01, 2007 4:00 pm

Our Service Level Agreements (SLAs) do not specify time frames for bugs being resolved. Obviously, as it's impossible to guage exactly how trivial or serious an issue might be. Instead our SLAs are based upon acknowledgement and work priority etc.

So, despite all this, we have a customer whi continually will not get off my back over exactly how long bug fixes will take. Which is a bit like \"how long's a piece of string?\".

Fucktards.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue May 01, 2007 4:04 pm

And further more, I have another guy who wants to know how a file got deleted a file from his server....

DunnFC
Regular international

Post by DunnFC » Tue May 01, 2007 4:28 pm

jst say he saved it to a desktop file and it got deleted :-D as for the other guy about bugs tell him if it serious hes looking to be waiting for a while as you need to get some new software.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re:

Post by mrblackbat » Tue May 01, 2007 4:30 pm

DunnFC wrote:jst say he saved it to a desktop file and it got deleted :-D as for the other guy about bugs tell him if it serious hes looking to be waiting for a while as you need to get some new software.
:roll: :|

rover-the-rainbow
Valued squad member

Post by rover-the-rainbow » Tue May 01, 2007 4:38 pm

DunnFC wrote:as well as wind them up.
:whistle:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue May 22, 2007 3:27 pm

Just been interrupted (as described in the Hate thread) with the question - \"Why am I not getting new message alerts on my new e-mail address?\"

Now firstly, I didn't even know the person in question had a new e-mail address, but apparently they are supposed to be actioning them as soon as they are received... so after a bit of fiddling, I changed the e-mail alert so it will be shown for 30 seconds, but apparently that wasn't good enough as she might be away from her desk and miss it. Now, according to the settings, she should still have a new message icon in the bottom corner of the screen, but she was adamant that she wasn't getting one. I was just about to run a test to see what happened, then the answer hit me... \"Are you leaving Outlook open?\" \"Oh, do I need to?\" \"Um, how do you expect the program to check for messages if it isn't running?\" :clonk:

Hoodwinker
Promising youngster

Post by Hoodwinker » Tue May 22, 2007 3:41 pm

Thick tart :roll:

Lincoln Rover
Promising youngster

Post by Lincoln Rover » Tue May 22, 2007 7:45 pm

Blackbat you aren't one of these guys that works on projects that get uploaded to places like \"Sourceforge\", are you? Dealing with repositories and that?

Of course I could be way off the mark but thats what I interpreted from your original post!

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu May 24, 2007 11:47 am

Not really a rant, but not worth starting a new thread for...

Just rang the bank with a query - yet again, they've restructured their service, so the number I rang put me through to a new call centre rather than the Preston office who handle the accounts... so I go through my problem, she gets all the details up on screen, and after a lot of messing around, she asks my name... and tells me I'm not on the list of people she's allowed to discuss the account with. :o She then put me through to the Preston office, who gave me my answer anyway... but what I can't understand is that they've dealt with me for years, shifted large amounts of money around just because I've told them to over the phone, never once asked me to prove if I even work for the company. So it seems a bit daft that it's finally become an issue now, when I just wanted a question answering. :-? :-D

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re:

Post by mrblackbat » Thu May 24, 2007 12:34 pm

Lincoln Rover wrote:Blackbat you aren't one of these guys that works on projects that get uploaded to places like "Sourceforge", are you? Dealing with repositories and that?

Of course I could be way off the mark but thats what I interpreted from your original post!
No I'm not.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Re:

Post by Ethiaa » Thu May 24, 2007 12:36 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Lincoln Rover wrote:Blackbat you aren't one of these guys that works on projects that get uploaded to places like "Sourceforge", are you? Dealing with repositories and that?

No I'm not.
But you look like it. Apart from missing the Iron Maiden shirt

;)

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re:

Post by mrblackbat » Thu May 24, 2007 12:56 pm

ethiaa wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:

No I'm not.
But you look like it. Apart from missing the Iron Maiden shirt

;)
Hehe.

Lincoln Rover
Promising youngster

Re:

Post by Lincoln Rover » Thu May 24, 2007 7:15 pm

mrblackbat wrote:

No I'm not.
Good answer. I'd be bugging you otherwise ;)

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:30 pm

Update in the Canadian's want to fire everyone saga:-

1. We get stats on performance. Obviously. One of these stats is number of work orders closed. I closed about 45 or so last month. Considering I tend to be given the harder, juicier calls, I reckon it's quite a decent number. However I got a mail though on Friday complaining about it comparing to the other two people in the team who got 157 and 132 closed. Even considering I get the harder stuff, you can understand that people might find that worrying. BUT WAIT! The other two deal with monitoring incoming emails! And lo and behold, our system is so shit that it logs a new work order for every email that comes in; meaning that the info has to be transferred to the REAL call and then that new work order is \"junked\". And yes, you guessed it, \"junked\" calls add to you closed stat.....

2. For every work order we close, the customer gets a scorecard, which they mark us out of 5 in 5 different areas; politeness, helpfulness, respoonse time, knowledge and overall experience. Scorecard is sent out with each closure. On Friday, I closed a call, which was incredibly easy and was basically the user just not actually processing something. They took objection to this and wanted hand holding, requested the call be re-opened and gave me 0s across the board. So 0 for politeness. This is the email I sent that got a 0 for politeness:-
Dear Customer,

The message \"No Tax Treatment Status\" is displayed when the subcontractor has not had a tax status assigned by the system following verification. You will need to ensure that you have the appropriate UTR and verification code for the subcontractor before you will be able to pay them.

Regards
Judge it if you will. Anyway, I've gone through the handholding, and now they're all sorted. So we close off the work order again. Now the customer tried to fill in a fresh scorecard, but the system was unable to process it. Instead, it's assigned ANOTHER scorecard of 0s across the board.

Now to the best part - out of 150+ calls closed in the last few months, I've had 4 scorecards, including the 2 mentioned above. So you can guess how that makes my averages look....

Time to start filling out my CV I guess.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:41 pm

As I'm sure you've all gathered, I'm on holiday tomorrow. Before I go I have to calculate all the salaries, and, as I'm doing them early, I've organised the past week so I could get them done today. Now, several months ago, I handed a draft set of accounts over to my bosses, for them to authorise... they've sat on them, lost the original draft, sat on the replacement copy I gave them... finally gave me them back with their required adjustments just as I was leaving last night, and now I've been told they're urgently needed for tomorrow. :doh: :wanker: