Work Rants

Life's a bitch. Post your moans, groans and general annoyances here.
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:47 pm

Bloody bosses - tell me at 4:45 on Friday (I'm allegedly finish work at 4pm) that they're not in Mon-Wed next week. And I need them to sign cheques and stuff,..

Head Rover Heels
Valued squad member

Post by Head Rover Heels » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:52 pm

:-D Sorry, don't mean to laugh, but i could have written that exact same post. I'm sick of it, the amount of times we promise \"payment will be out by middle of next week\", only for the CFO to call me to inform me of his holiday that he's had booked for months... unbelievable.

Let me guess who has to field calls from angry suppliers who've been promised payment

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:39 pm

I had to chase one boss as he was leaving the office the other day... he didn't say anything to me, I just heard \"I'm out for the rest of the week\" as I was working out the VAT return...

Um, anyway... just had a rep complaining that his accountant wife says his P11D is 'wrong'. The first problem is obviously that this idiot (and he is undoubtedly the biggest idiot we've employed, and that's saying something) is only trying to repeat what his wife has told him. There is nothing wrong with the P11D, it's calculated correctly for the way we deal with motor expenses for company cars. But, naturally the guy is more inclined to believe his wife than the fella he can't remember the name of at the other end of the phone. So, I've had to quickly start thinking about that pesky job once again, and try to explain simply why everyone is screwed by the taxman.

The point of query was over private fuel. We charge an amount per mile, and so mistakenly, the wife believed her husband shouldn't have a Car Fuel Benefit Charge. But we charge less than the cost of fuel, and so the full fuel benefit has to apply, as clearly stated in the HMRC literature. Instead, I deduct the amount paid for private use against the Car Benefit Charge.

I think, for most of our reps, this is the best way of calculating it. Looking at this moron's figures, he may have been better off paying the full cost of the fuel. But I think it's fair to say we can have one policy only. And his wife needs to explain that he isn't getting charged £1500 tax, he'll pay whatever tax would be due on an extra £1500 income.

So now I've got to put some figures together to show the difference between the two ways of doing things. More work just to justify I was doing things right all along. :doh:

Head Rover Heels
Valued squad member

Post by Head Rover Heels » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:10 pm

Company cars / fuel really aren't worth the hassle (or even having, from an employee point of view). At all. Impossible to get people to realise that though.

Life would be much more simple if the tax office just said \"no more company cars, or petrol - Pay 'em cash if you like, but that's yer lot\"

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:20 pm

Unfortunately sales reps need to get round the country to see customers. They don't feel they should pay for the top of the range tyres they insist on putting on their cars, or anything else for that matter. But I turned down a lilac Mondeo when I took the job - I'd just bought my own car and I hated the bloody thing anyway. Allegedly I got a bigger pay rise in lieu of it. :?

I'm now doing the calculations, seems like we might be better off changing the system anyway. :o

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:46 pm

my girlfriend gets 40p per mile or something like it in change in a brown envelope every week... much better.

Gouldy
Valued squad member

Post by Gouldy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:06 pm

My Dads just got a sick note for a month off because of \"work-related stress\". Alrite for some aint it

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re:

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:19 pm

Gouldy wrote:My Dads just got a sick note for a month off because of "work-related stress". Alrite for some aint it
Depends - does he have company sick pay, or is he on SSP? If it's the latter, you could be living off bread and water for the next 4 weeks... :scratch:

Gouldy
Valued squad member

Re:

Post by Gouldy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:05 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Gouldy wrote:My Dads just got a sick note for a month off because of "work-related stress". Alrite for some aint it
Depends - does he have company sick pay, or is he on SSP? If it's the latter, you could be living off bread and water for the next 4 weeks... :scratch:
He gets paid while hes off, so no worries about living off bread and water

watty
Promising youngster

Post by watty » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:04 pm

grr, unemployed :cry:
but luckily i have a back up plan, when i did my a-levels i did a nvq in catering as well, so as of next week im becomin a chef, until i find a new proper job again. i know chefs shit pay but il get paid cash in hand so its not that bad.

Hoodwinker
Promising youngster

Re:

Post by Hoodwinker » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:08 pm

watty wrote:grr, unemployed :cry:
but luckily i have a back up plan, when i did my a-levels i did a nvq in catering as well, so as of next week im becomin a chef, until i find a new proper job again. i know chefs shit pay but il get paid cash in hand so its not that bad.
Any Tax inspectors on here turn a blind eye ;)

watty
Promising youngster

Re:

Post by watty » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:38 pm

Hoodwinker wrote:
watty wrote:grr, unemployed :cry:
Any Tax inspectors on here turn a blind eye ;)
:whistle:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:09 am

God, I work with some thickos... yesterday I had a co-worker asking me why he couldn't copy files to a CD on his ordinary DVD-rom... and since I'm covering for our credit controller, I keep getting bits of paper stuck under my nose (regardless of what I'm doing at the time), and being asked what I think... :doh:

Head Rover Heels
Valued squad member

Re:

Post by Head Rover Heels » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:40 am

Rover the Top wrote: I keep getting bits of paper stuck under my nose
You need to cut down on the glue sniffing ;)

At least you don't work at the VAT office - Trying to speak to them about our investigation (mentioned it a while back) and although i've been in constant discussion with them for the last fwew months, now they can't give me any information without a letter of authority.

So i asked who does that need to come from - "From the person who holds the authority on the account".

"Who do you have down for that? Is it our current CFO?"

"No, we don't have any names on the account"

"So who can authorise you to speak to me?"

"Not sure really - You need to have a person of authority on the account."

"So we could go round in circles for months on this. I fill out the return, so i guess i would be the authority".

"Well, i'd need a letter from someone pre-authorised."

"AAaaaaagggghhhhhh. Never mind then."

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:48 am

Some people...

A lad who resigned a couple of months ago due to 'depression' has told the Job Centre we sacked him... :doh: The stupid bar-steward obviously forgot he handed in a letter of resignation. :-D