Cars

Life's a bitch. Post your moans, groans and general annoyances here.
Ethiaa
Site Admin

Re: Cars

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:02 pm

You'll be insured 3rd party based on your own car insurance as it has been provided to you with permission. So don't have another accident while taking it back that IS your fault.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:20 pm

I'm not sure that I can. Certainly previous polices I've had have not included the stipulation that would allow me to drive other vehicles with 3rd party cover.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:22 pm

Bumcheeks. Best tell your insurer to come collect it, keys are on the back tyre :D

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:32 pm

My thought is, if the hire company are happy to accept just the card part of my licence, I should be able to get the insurance company to send them a copy of the insurance certificate. Of course, before I agreed to swap garages, I voiced my concern that I might get stranded, and was assured there'd be no problems with exchanging cars... I really should learn to stop believing people... :roll:

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:58 pm

Rover the Top wrote:Of course, before I agreed to swap garages, I voiced my concern that I might get stranded, and was assured there'd be no problems with exchanging cars...
As if I believe you did.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:09 pm

I've just rung the garage, and they say it's okay for me to drive their car home.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:28 pm

It's all worked out quite well in the end. I got home without any need to test whether I was driving legally or not, and the guy from the garage was already waiting to pick up the crappy Ford Fiesta they'd lent me. And it was crappy - I've driven a lot of cars and vans over the last 18 years, and I can only think of one that could rival it for being as much of an arduous experience to drive. You even had to turn the radio off manually after you took the key out. :shrug:

About ten minutes after he left, the hire company turned up. The insurance company promised me I'd get something more in line with my own car, so I was expecting a Focus/Astra sized car with a 1.6l petrol engine and a manual gearbox. But the hire firm had asked me would I be okay accepting something smaller since I needed something at short notice. In the end, it's nothing like my Auris, but they've gone the other way - it's an automatic 2.0l diesel Seat Altea, and is much, much nicer to drive...

Oh, and with regards to what would have happened if they'd had to pick me up without me having my insurance certificate on me, they'd have just checked it up online... :roll:

Simon
Ageing international

Post by Simon » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:36 am

Rover the Top wrote: crappy Ford Fiesta
:cry:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:51 pm

So I'm supposed to be buying a car tomorrow and to do so arranged to refinance an existing loan I have with my bank to a much lower rate and get the extra for the car on top. Naturally I rang them for a settlement figure to pay off the original loan, during which the advisor said he could get all the new loan details ready etc, and I'd have the cash in the bank tomorrow (this was yesterday). So after an eternity of a phone call, with the cheeky fuck starting to ask what all sorts of payments coming out of my account were for, he eventually finishes the application, tells me I'm accepted and says there'll be an email coming through to confirm the details and I can digitally sign the docs; which I complete promptly.

Of course, today, no money in the account. I ring them up and they say "oh, it'll be 48 working hours", completely contrary to the email that comes with the confirmation. Most annoyingly, I know that you get the cash next day if you do it through digital banking, which was how I did it last time.

Why the fuck it takes two days and a half hour conversation to fill a form that takes ten minutes in and gets the cash to you next day I don't know.... :doh:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:01 pm

48 working hours? That's a week and a bit... :yeahright:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:44 pm

Rover the Top wrote:48 working hours? That's a week and a bit... :yeahright:
Hah, true!

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:20 pm

So my car is in to the garage for the fourth time since buying it, EIGHT new fuel injectors in six months, and it only has four cylinders....

BMW, ultimate driving machine.... yeah right. :x

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:18 am

Could have told you that...

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:25 am

I did tell him that... :whistle:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:45 pm

I don't think you told me that the car breaks down once a month. I seem to recall you saying that parts are expensive, which is true, and I factored that in. I didn't factor in parts being expensive and not working....

So far, they've agreed to pay for the parts, but are only going to contribute 30% towards labour.