Cars

Life's a bitch. Post your moans, groans and general annoyances here.
Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Re: Cars

Post by Dan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:21 pm

Nah, I've got my own memory stick full of 1000s of mp3s that are much better than the radio, I was hoping some traffic news would come on, for some reason it doesn't kick in when Ive got the usb stick on even though it's supposed to

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:07 pm

So, some stupid bitch drove into the side of me earlier this evening... :banghead: I was on the main road, waiting to turn right with a few cars coming the other way. She was in the side road I was turning into. As soon as the cars cleared, she pulled out straight into my back door. Now initially, she accepted responsibilty, asking me to get a quote for her before getting the insurance company involved. But then I get an angry phone call from her husband 45 minutes later, who she apparently has told a bunch of lies claiming I didn't indicate and saying it was all my fault. I just hope that she comes to her senses, or if she goes through with the lies, the insurance companies will realise there's no sense in pulling out of a junction into another car even if she thought it was going straight on. :(

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:13 pm

Were you still stationary then and she's just come across and hit you, or were you turning in? Either way, she's pulled out before the road was clear, surely there being much argument against that.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:22 am

I'd started moving when she hit me, but that's because I saw her coming at me and was desperately trying to get out the way. I'd been waiting there stationery for some seconds until the cars coming down the hill went past. There's no question that it was entirely her fault, she saw a brief gap in the traffic coming down the hill and set off without looking what was in front of her. I was a sitting duck. But... no other driver bothered to stop (cunts!) so it's my word against hers. If she decides to fabricate some complete fantasy of what happened, then I've got a tough job in proving the truth. I've been here before, I keep getting flashbacks to the big smash I was in 13 years ago, and I really don't want to go through the stress the 18 months following that caused me. The one thing I'm counting on this time is that the angry husband didn't seem to fully believe his missus, particularly when I explained where the damage on my car is. But I can only hope they do the right thing. :(

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:51 am

Pulled out of a side road is a no brainer - pretty much up there with being hit in the back in traffic so you shouldn't worry about it. Don't know how bad the damage is to your car but if you're worried about them lying it could help if there is debris at the site still to take a quick phone snap to show that is unquestionably where the accident happened... failing that if there is a chance of CCTV at the site (traffic cameras most likely) call you insurer and tell them you suspect that the other driver is going to contest liability and that they could try to get hold of.

Generally though people come to their senses - it happened to my wife a couple of months ago... some one cut across her lane on a roundabout then jumped out shouting "didn't you see me indicating? what the hell were you doing?".... a few hours later when I called for details it was a differnt story.

Hope you're alright in any case.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:16 pm

theadore wrote:Hope you're alright in any case.
Essentially this.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:58 pm

resists making joke about RTT having his back door smashed in

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Gibbon wrote:
theadore wrote:Hope you're alright in any case.
Essentially this.
Some would say I've never been alright... ;)

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:22 pm

Did you take photos of the cars after it happened Toppers? Or get her to sign a statement admitting fault?

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:46 pm

Phew! Just had a phone call from her insurers. She's admitted liability. :)

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:34 pm

mcteeth wrote:Or get her to sign a statement admitting fault?
This wouldn't really matter (in a case where there was legitimate dispute)... if you admit liability at the scene you can just say - 'didn't know'

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:09 pm

Approx. £1600 to get my car fixed.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:26 pm

That's about 4 times what my car's worth :D

Just out of interest, does anyone know the current going rate for a Fixed Penalty Notice for something like completely not seeing a red light and getting a nice souvenir photo of the event taken by one of the lovely yellow cameras? Google seems to be suggesting either £60 or £100.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:43 pm

It's the increase in insurance that hurts of course, not the fixed penalty.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:58 pm

This has suddenly got very silly. The woman who hit me has understandably decided she wants the insurers to pay. Her insurers have offered to take over the claim so that I don't have to pay any excess and wait to get it back. But they won't guarantee the repairs at the garage my own insurers have chosen, where my car currently is. So the car is going to be moved to another garage. But I have a courtesy car that now needs returning, and I'm going to be supplied with a hire car. I need my driving licence and insurance certificate before I can take the hire car, which of course are at my house. But I've just been informed because my claim with my own insurers has now been closed, I'm no longer insured to drive the courtesy car anywhere.