Cars

Life's a bitch. Post your moans, groans and general annoyances here.
Darth Rover
Ageing international

Re: Cars

Post by Darth Rover » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:20 pm

I can only go off my trip metre in my car. My Fuel consumption differs from 40 to 45 mpg to over 50 when taking advantage of certain parts of my journey i know i can travel without the need to press the gas. Taking it a step further the wear on my brakes is less too has i don't have to brake as hard much. i will make this statemant though i would not coast in areas i'm not familiar with or in normal/heavy traffic. Technically you are not in full control of your vehicle. I only started to try and better my petrol comsumption as prices were getting too high and any way you can save money these days as to be worth considering. The fact that cars are designed to use fuel and you aren't saving anything whilst coasting i have heard of before but the fact i have is my trip meter currently says i'm doing 52 MPG whereas it would normally be between 40 and 45 MPG driving in gear all the time.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:58 pm

The bit I'm not following is that you seem to be implying the only alternative to coasting is to floor the accelerator and hammer on the brakes at the last second when you reach traffic lights. When what you should be doing is exactly the same as what you are doing, with the exception that you leave the car in gear instead of putting it in neutral. If you don't press the accelerator, you're not using fuel, as ethiaa explained before.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:58 pm

I see your point regarding the accelerator when being in gear or in neutral. When in gear the car will not roll the same as when in neutral. Also the revs in gear are more than in neutral when not pressing the accelerator. This is probably the most dangerous part of coasting and anyone thinking of doing at bit of coasting needs to take note. When in neutral your revs will drop. If your car stalls when coasting your steering lock may come on leaving you unable to steer whilst in motion. For this reason i would not encourage anyone to do any coasting. I do it because i need to save money were i can. I'd like to know if anyone if anyone has a hybrid vehicle and what they feel about it.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:44 am

behind enemy lines wrote:Also the revs in gear are more than in neutral when not pressing the accelerator.
That's cos in gear, downhill, without the accelerator pressed, the wheels spinning keeps the engine going. In neutral it's still using fuel to keep itself ticking over.

Does anyone actually put it in neutral anyway if coasting? Surely just keep your clutch down and have a sensible gear selected for when you need it again.

I ran out of fuel once at the top of a mountain in Corfu. Managed to coast all the way down to the bottom, I would definitely NOT recommend it.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:35 am

Dan wrote:
behind enemy lines wrote:Also the revs in gear are more than in neutral when not pressing the accelerator.
That's cos in gear, downhill, without the accelerator pressed, the wheels spinning keeps the engine going. In neutral it's still using fuel to keep itself ticking over.
We've tried explaining that a few times already. BEL won't have it... :shrug:

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:55 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Dan wrote:
We've tried explaining that a few times already. BEL won't have it... :shrug:
I do take on board what you both are saying. I guess we would all like to save a bit of money especially on fuel. By coasting on my trip meter on average miles per gallon it says i'm getting over 50 mpg. It would be well below if i drove correctly. Now i am i just fooling my trip meter (and myself!!) or am i actualy saving fuel? To be honest i do think i'm saving something. Maybe not a lot but something. A don't think the fuel company's and the Police would not like it if it was known if you could save money by letting the forces of gravity take control. I do agree there is fuel still being used when coasting in neutral. A good thing really as the engine would stall if it wasn't.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:01 pm

But less is used when 'coasting' in gear. So you could be saving more money.

RoverthePennines
Regular international

Post by RoverthePennines » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:19 pm

My only issue with cars is that I don't have one. I kind of want a Reliant Scimitar but having graduated penniless it's unlikely to happen any time soon

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:23 pm

My dad's radio broke on his BMW whilst he was away on holiday. About £2500 to get a new one... :shock: (It's actually a computer that's broken, but the only thing it runs that he was actually bothered about was the radio.) It was funny on Sunday hearing him whinge about how all these gadgets are just more things to go wrong... he's now thinking of changing his car (which I suggested he should do a few months ago before something major went wrong with it). But he'll probably still get another BMW, because that's the kind of menace to society he is...

Meanwhile, I've just got my insurance quote down to £340. Which is roughly what I was paying about 3 years ago. An unexpected bonus, I was hoping I'd just get something around the £400 mark since most companies quoted over £800 last year... :shrug:

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:31 pm

My dad had a BMW for a while - then he switched it for a Skoda that he swears by. Pretty much a VW really.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:48 pm

Aye, Skodas haven't been joke cars for a long time. My mate has had two and has raved about both. Can't imagine my dad in one though - he says he doesn't care about cars, but then puts up with the extra expense just to drive a BMW... I drove one he had before down to London once, didn't like it. Whereas my sister's little Citroen is lots of fun to drive...

Simon
Ageing international

Post by Simon » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:04 pm

Rover the Top wrote:Aye, Skodas haven't been joke cars for a long time. My mate has had two and has raved about both. Can't imagine my dad in one though - he says he doesn't care about cars, but then puts up with the extra expense just to drive a BMW... I drove one he had before down to London once, didn't like it. Whereas my sister's little Citroen is lots of fun to drive...
A Skoda is basically a VW with about 30% knocked off the price.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:05 pm

Indeed. Although that's really only true if you're buying new, by the time you get down to the £3000-£4000 mark that I tend to buy my second hand cars at, they've pretty much evened out.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:05 pm

VWs, Skodas and Seats were all around the same price for the age I was looking at last year.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:44 am

Need to update our MID database again. Surprise, surprise, the password doesn't work again. :banghead: