Picking a University.

Life's a bitch. Post your moans, groans and general annoyances here.
SheepShagginRover
Unemployed ex-pro

Picking a University.

Post by SheepShagginRover » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:27 pm

Hassle and a half. After deciding on the course, and popping around for the Open Day, you're then hit with the wave of mixed messages that the online minefield of university reviewing sites yield.

Tricky business all in all, and a little clarity and a general agreement might be nice. Is that too much to ask, Uni guides?

Gibbon
Promising manager

Re: Picking a University.

Post by Gibbon » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:05 pm

I talked to my lecturers, found out which was the best course for my subject in the country which turned out to be Manchester Met. My lecturer also rightly told me that I'd never get in there (rightly, because at the time, I spent most of the working week playing darts in the pub rather than drawing).

So I started applying myself to my work and then I applied to that course and only that course.

Luckily I got in.

Anyway - ask your lecturers/teachers/someone who works in your field, which courses are the best in the country and then proceed accordingly.

mattjansenisgod
New signing

Post by mattjansenisgod » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:48 pm

I always check the male to female ratio at the uni first...got to get your priorities right....

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:12 am

mattjansenisgod wrote:I always check the male to female ratio at the uni first...got to get your priorities right....
Always? How many times have you applied? :shock:

mattjansenisgod
New signing

Post by mattjansenisgod » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:01 pm

Gibbon wrote:
mattjansenisgod wrote:I always check the male to female ratio at the uni first...got to get your priorities right....
Always? How many times have you applied? :shock:
Three different times, failed first time (should have left half way through really), second time got a 1st, got my master this year.... :geek:

SheepShagginRover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by SheepShagginRover » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:05 pm

The course I want is about 30/70 in my favour across the country. So there's ample opportunity.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:11 am

Some people say the right course is the most important thing, but my priority was to find somewhere where I'd be happy to live for 3 years. Warwick was too isolated, Leeds was too big and scary. Even if the courses were the best in the country (and Warwick was supposed to be the best for maths), I wouldn't have enjoyed my time there. In the end, Bangor edged it over Aberystwyth, can't remember what the deciding factor was. Sea, mountains and Cob Records... :yeahright:

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:40 pm

very good point made there, on the other hand, i only came to uni to move to manchester and still here after 10 years :P

SheepShagginRover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by SheepShagginRover » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:40 pm

Well, it's looking like a toss up between Salford and UWIC currently. Salford has it as the moment with the nice campus, five minutes from Manc City Centre on the train, plus the state-of-the-art brand new multimillion Podiatry complex. Very tasty.

Simon
Ageing international

Post by Simon » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:39 pm

SheepShagginRover wrote:Well, it's looking like a toss up between Salford and UWIC currently. Salford has it as the moment with the nice campus, five minutes from Manc City Centre on the train, plus the state-of-the-art brand new multimillion Podiatry complex. Very tasty.
Downside - you're in Salford.

However, on a brighter note, you're only about 40 mins from Blackburn on the train so could get a season ticket if you wanted.

SheepShagginRover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by SheepShagginRover » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:32 pm

Simon wrote:
SheepShagginRover wrote:Well, it's looking like a toss up between Salford and UWIC currently. Salford has it as the moment with the nice campus, five minutes from Manc City Centre on the train, plus the state-of-the-art brand new multimillion Podiatry complex. Very tasty.
Downside - you're in Salford.

However, on a brighter note, you're only about 40 mins from Blackburn on the train so could get a season ticket if you wanted.
Exactly that. Season ticket is a real possibility. Salford itself looked an absolute shitehole, but living on campus in flats first year, and with the railway station on-site meaning I rarely have to venture into Salford may make it bearable. I'm optimistic. I'll get a season ticket for either Rovers if I end up in Salford or the Cardiff Blues if I end up at UWIC. Good, regular sport either way.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:17 am

Blackbat went to Salford.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:01 am

My Dad lives in Salford right near the uni campus, it isn't that bad. It does look like a shithole and technically is, but they are spending a lot of money on the area. The total redevelopment of The Keys, the BBC Media City and like you say, you're only 5 mins from Deansgate.

Manc is a great place to live, second to London in my book.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:04 am

mcteeth wrote: The total redevelopment of The Keys,
"Quays"... ;)

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:13 am

:lol:

When I was writing it I knew it looked totally wrong but was having a blonde moment... :oops: