Police commissioner election and voting in general

Life's a bitch. Post your moans, groans and general annoyances here.
Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Re: Police commissioner election and voting in general

Post by Rover the Moon » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:54 pm

I research buying a telly because I WANT to buy it

Lots of condescending buggers on the net say we should have researched the candidates even though we didn't necessarily want an election....why should I waste my broadband bandwidth and time??

Now if it was a referendum on leaving the EU I would have been there like a shot..... :D

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:45 pm

I wasn't aware that there was information on the candidates available on the internet until today. What was supposed to have inspired me to go look for it? :yeahright:

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:55 pm

The polling card you received a few weeks back?

Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Rover the Moon » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:06 pm

theadore wrote:The polling card you received a few weeks back?
You read them?

I just scan the date, throw it in a pile of papers and forget :oops:

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:16 pm

I put mine straight in the recycling bin... since you don't need them anyway. But it meant I knew the election was happening.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:31 pm

theadore wrote:The polling card you received a few weeks back?
I'll be honest, I just gave it a cursory glance rather than spend a couple of hours analysing the text on it. But I'll be surprised if it says words to the effect of: "unlike every other election you may have experienced, there will be no further publicity for this one until the day of the event. If you want to find out more, you'll have to do your own research on the internet." You can't seriously be suggesting that your first thought after receiving a polling card is to dive on your computer and start Googling?

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:33 pm

theadore wrote:I put mine straight in the recycling bin... since you don't need them anyway. But it meant I knew the election was happening.
Yeah, I knew an election was coming up. I don't think it was unreasonable to expect some sort of campaign to follow though...

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:38 pm

no doubt - and I said as much over the page.

But I think the fault is as much with central government as with the candidates and parties themselves. I think when we're talking about a brand new election at a cost of £100million it would have been sensible to spend another couple of million on a national advertising campaign to explain what it was all about.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:38 pm

theadore wrote:I put mine straight in the recycling bin... since you don't need them anyway. But it meant I knew the election was happening.
Igor ate Charlies.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:33 pm

theadore wrote:no doubt - and I said as much over the page.

But I think the fault is as much with central government as with the candidates and parties themselves. I think when we're talking about a brand new election at a cost of £100million it would have been sensible to spend another couple of million on a national advertising campaign to explain what it was all about.
Well that was my point about there being nothing to inspire me to go looking for information... :doh:

Jim
Experienced international star

Post by Jim » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:38 pm

Some interesting facts from South Yorkshire.

Apparently the useless and unneccessary politicising of the police force has cost the region £2m.

As only 149,194 people voted out of a population of 1.34 million across the Sheffield, Doncaster, Rotherham and Barnsley boroughs (a total of approx 11% of the population), it cost £13.41 per vote.

I think most voters would have preferred the money.

Dangerous times for the tolerant however as its turnout like this which gives the extremist parties a chance. :?

Interestingly, I too have not received a single flyer, leaflet or document through the door explaining to me why I should vote or who to vote for. No manifesto, nothing. Absolutely diabolical waste of resources at a time when we SHOULDNT BE FUCKING WASTING THEM!

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:01 pm

Jim wrote: Dangerous times for the tolerant however as its turnout like this which gives the extremist parties a chance. :?
Exactly:
theadore wrote: Lib Dems it is.
Be afraid. Be very afraid...

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:10 pm

Sad times for a party I once supported so thoroughly only to see them sell out all their strongly held beliefs for a few threads of power becoming the Tory whipping boys in the process...

Again in South Yorks, apparently their share of the vote was behind (in order) Labour (51.35%), English Democrats (15.56%), Tories (14.51%) and UKIP (11.54%) with only 7.04% of the vote.

The success of the English Democrats reinforces my point precisely. :cry:

It sickens me that my town is seen as a beacon of sorts for such extremists at the moment due to the success of Mayor Davies. I'll hold my tongue on my thoughts about him, but I will say his reputation and track record speaks for itself.
Last edited by Jim on Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:16 pm

:p

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:24 pm

The saddest fact is, and I'm sure you'll agree with me Theo as a fellow Lib Dem and a S. Yorks resident.

The Lib Dems were really on the rise here in Yorkshire, councillor seats, MP's, the backing of the young student population. It was looking brilliant. They could have built upon that in the next general election had they sided with Labour and built a firm partnership.

Sadly they jumped into bed with the devil when he made a veiled promise of power, sided with a party who are a horrific ideological match for the Lib Dems, opposing change, opposing Lords reform, opposing everything.

I think the damage this government is doing to this generation in the name of austerity will tarnish their image for many, many years.