Police commissioner election and voting in general

Life's a bitch. Post your moans, groans and general annoyances here.
Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Police commissioner election and voting in general

Post by Rover the Moon » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:58 am

Did anyone vote?
Did anyone care?

I have just this minute remembered the election was yesterday.

NO CANDIDATE could be fucking arsed to post anything through my door to say who they were and what their plans are so why should I give a rats arse to make the 100yd journey to the polling station?

Why should I use my time and my paid broadband to look up the candidates for an election I neither need nor want

Same thing applies to council elections and MP elections. I get scores of fucking takeaway menu's through the door but none of these pricks can be arsed to post a pamphlet :dunce:

Savory
Promising manager

Re: Police commissioner election and voting in general

Post by Savory » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:03 am

yes we did, i dont care, i just got told to :lol:

voting by post ftw

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:08 am

We got one leaflet through our door out of about 12 candidates for our area.

We forgot to vote, not that we knew anything much about any candidates though.

Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Rover the Moon » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:16 am

Forgot to add that I can get 29 takeaway menus a week through the door, some are even from another town and postcode :shrug: yet nothing for a £100,000,000 election :doh:

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:54 am

Campaigns cost money... and most of the candidates in the hideous sham will be lucky if they get their deposits back based on the turnout.

That said, I'd probably walk over broken glass to vote in a referendum on a new colour for the door of number 10... so I of course voted.

Closest I've ever come to ballot spoiling though. Not just the fact that nobody has campaigned... but there has been precious little from central government explaining what powers will be granted and what the post is for. Instead you read through 5 identical pieces of prattle on the beeb from 5 people who will all 'protect front line forces' while 'cutting needless bureaucracy'... never forgetting the importance of 'forging strong links with the local community'.

Of the 5 I was offered... UKIP and the English Democrats could have had policies of 'Free Beer for all over 8's' and I wouldn't have batted an eyelid. The tory guy spent 30 years on the forces which turned my head, but is campaigning under an anti-cuts banner?? :/ That left Lib Dems and Labour... so I tossed a coin and shot my self in the temple. Can't see that Labour have sufficiently turned away from their New Labour anti-liberal stichk so putting them in charge of policing seems like madness... Lib Dems it is.

Sigh.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:24 am

I would have voted, but my life didn't even allow me 10 minutes to walk to the polling station. :(

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:37 am

I did wonder whether I'd have bothered if my walk home didn't take me past the front door of the polling station.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:37 am

I vote in general elections, even though I expect Jack Straw will remain MP for Blackburn no matter who I put a cross next to. I don't see the futility of the exercise as a reason to give up on my right to an opinion. However, for this election I wasn't able to form an opinion. I don't know anything about the candidates (I only found out they were linked to political parties yesterday morning), and I don't know anything about the post they're being elected to. It's impossible for me to pick who I think will be best for the job, and it would be reckless to choose one at random just for the sake of voting. The only option for me was to not vote. Like the vast majority of the country.

How low does turnout have to get before someone suggests the results should be void?

Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Rover the Moon » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:41 am

For the last general election South Ribble was split in two with my area being lumped into the Ribble Valley constituency in order to make all constituencies equal population wise or some other crackpot idea like that.

So there I was faced with voting in a constiuency where I was outnumbered 1000:1 by fat cat millionaire EU subsidised Tory voting farmers. There was no point but 'I think' I did vote and chose UKIP for a laugh. :yeahright:

Average turnout for this is 18% I think

Theadore. It must be bloody bad if the most sensible option seemed to be to vote Liberal? :o

Are you sure you mulled over it enough ;) ? Liberal and policing seem to be chalk and cheese to me :shrug:

I'd rather spoil it :lol:

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:52 am

For our region there was a rep from Conservative, Labour, Lib Dem, UKIP and somthing like 8 independants.

I didn't want a candidate linked to a party and the little I read about the rest all seemed to be the same opinions and policies.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:55 am

iamarover wrote: I didn't want a candidate linked to a party and the little I read about the rest all seemed to be the same opinions and policies.
You'd think at least one of them would take a chance and try to entice the criminal mastermind vote... :yeahright:

Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Rover the Moon » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:03 pm

In Gwent, where turnout was 14.3% overall, one polling station in Newport was visited by no voters at all.
:lol:

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:06 pm

Rover the Moon wrote:
In Gwent, where turnout was 14.3% overall, one polling station in Newport was visited by no voters at all.
:lol:
Awesome.

The guys in my polling station looked genuinely excited to see another human.

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:07 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
iamarover wrote: I didn't want a candidate linked to a party and the little I read about the rest all seemed to be the same opinions and policies.
You'd think at least one of them would take a chance and try to entice the criminal mastermind vote... :yeahright:
Ha, I didn't really make it clear what I meant. I meant to say that if all candidates say they're going to do the same thing, hold the same views on whats important etc. but you know nothing much about who they are or how competant they might be or what experience they have how do you choose who to vote for? I considered voting for one guy because he had a better name than the others.

I admit I probably could've found out more about each if I'd gone online to research them.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:27 pm

You shouldn't really have to go out of your way to research who the candidates are and why they need electing, though. The main problem I'm having trying to understand what I've missed is that I can't work out the connection between political viewpoints and policing. I'd expect all candidates to have roughly the same opinions because the the purpose of a police force is going to remain the same.