Job Seekers Allowance/Benefits/ECT

Life's a bitch. Post your moans, groans and general annoyances here.
Joe
Ageing international

Job Seekers Allowance/Benefits/ECT

Post by Joe » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:39 pm

When I moved to London I obviously had to leave my old job, so became unemployed. It was quite a spontaneous decision to move down here, however I did manage to apply for a few jobs and secure a few interviews for pretty much the day we moved in.

Anyway I was successful in both of these interviews and received a conditional job offer (conditional on references and CRB) and was given an estimated start date of within 2 weeks.

Needless to say I didn't apply for JSA for the week between me leaving my job in Blackburn and moving to London, it wouldn't have been worth my while what with the visits to a job centre, mandatory job applications I hear you have to fill in for jobs your not really interested in....

Anyway, I had this conditional job offer. I sucesfully gave them the references and the CRB clearance they required within days. However due to the HR lady dealing with new starters being on holiday, I had to ask for both my references to be resent (which was annoying and a tad embarrassing). Anyway, they were eventually received. I know this as I was told via an e-mail from HR. Frustratingly the e-mail made no mention of a start date or 'what-next'. So it was up to me to call them to find out wtf was happening. No answer on the phone so I had to e-mail. Days later I received an e-mail saying I still had to get CRB disclosure. I immeadiately called to tell them "no, this has been cleared, you should have been sent the clearance.", however again, no answer. So I put it in an e-mail. Again, days later, I got a replying apologising saying something along the lines of "oh yes, we do have it, sorry about that". Again, no mention of a start date. And again, no answer when I tried to call. I tried to call my prospective manager who said a start date is being arranged and HR will be in touch shortly. Waited for a few weeks for a reply, but nothing. So I thought fuck this, I'm applying elsewhere. Got 3 more job interviews within a couple of days. And had 2 job offers by the end of the week. Accepted one of them, which was again conditional on references and CRB, this was all sorted within a week, and I started another week later. (called the previous potential employer I was fed up waiting and I was no longer interested....well I told their answer phone anyway).

Anyway, it was only after starting my new job that I thought 'hold on, I was out of work for 2 months, surely I'm entitled to some benefits considering the benefit happy state we seem to live in. I've paid plenty of taxes on all my jobs, perhaps I'm due some back'. After all it was expensive enough moving to London, not having a job for my first 2 months made it even worse.

So I made a back-date claim for Job Seekers Allowance for the period in which I was out of work. When I made the claim I was advised that these are not normally accepted, as you are expected to have made the claim at the time you were out of employment, ie a job-seeker. However as I stated at the job centre, I actually had a job offer outstanding, and was under the impression I would be starting work very soon. So the guys at the job centre said it was probably worthwhile making a back-dated/retrospective claim.

So I did, stating that I considered myself no longer a 'job-seeker' as soon as I was given a job offer, afterall I stoppped seeking jobs, and was given an expected start date of about two weeks. I explained the whole situation and said I thought I should be entitled to JSA for the 6 weeks between being given a conditional job offer, and starting my new job with a different employer. However today I received a letter saying my claim had been rejected, as I hadn't met any of the requiirements of article 18 of some statute. I looked it up, and it basically lists all the reasons you would be entitled to claim (there aren't many, they are pretty damn strict). However there was one which said something along the lines of "you didn't claim at the time because an employer or bank put you under the impression you would be ineligible to claim". Now in my mind the letter of a conditional job offer from the first offer I got should satisfy this. It put me under the impression I was no longer a job seeker, so I didn't claim. Had I not been offered a job in my first few weeks in London I would have certainly started claiming, its darn expensive down here.

Anyway, I've appealed. I've told them they need to change the name of the benefit if non-job seekers are supposed to claim for it as well. I've also told them I'll keep appealing until I can't appeal anymore. Bastards

It pisses me off because in this county we do have a problem with benefit scroungers, not wanting to sound like I write for the Daily Mail but we really do, I used to volunteer at the Citizens Advice Bureau and you wouldn't believe some of the people who have been on benefits for years+. And then someone like me, who worked before, during and after University, paid all his taxes, genuinely was out of work for a few months, despite trying their upmost (and essentially succeeding) in getting a job asap, doesn't get any help. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Re: Job Seekers Allowance/Benefits/ECT

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:42 pm

As an aside, they can also refuse to pay you JSA if you resign from your job, depending on the circumstances.

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:53 pm

Ethiaa wrote:As an aside, they can also refuse to pay you JSA if you resign from your job, depending on the circumstances.
Well that's not the reason they gave me. And I think I had a good enough reason to leave my job, I doubt they could have used that, albeit I haven't read the regulations they follow relating to that and if its as strict as the one they got me for you probably had to have resigned as a result of a successful sexual harassment claim in order to be eligible.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:00 pm

A friend in Newcastle resigned after being suspended from work due to claims of fraud, fighting the claims, proving they were made up by his boss and then being reinstated under the same boss. No JSA for him on resignation grounds. I suspect they have a lovely long list of things they can claim are the issue, hoping you get a job in the meantime and don't bother chasing them for the money later.

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:11 am

Due to a backlog of appeals, my appeal won't be decided for around 3 months....

And rather than make another moaning bastard thread I'll just add a side note here:

I've broken my fucking leg playing football. (I could do about 4 different threads in this section regarding this; I'm stuck in cast for 5 weeks, miss the Chemical Brothers, in a cast and non-weight bearing on one leg for the whole of Christmas, have to cut my Christmas visit back home short in order to come back and have the cast removed on the 27th, that or wait an extra week and be disabled for NYE as well, I can't play football/sport until February, and finally there's going to be at least a few weeks for which I won't receive full sick-pay...........on the bright side I'm going to be paid in full for a while to read books, watch films and listen to music, and I should have no excuses in not aceing my exams in January, or June for that matter....but still, I'd rather it hadn't happened)

Rovertheseas
Experienced international star

Post by Rovertheseas » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:25 am

I broke my foot...wish I could say it was playing football, but it was actually due to a large girl in stilettos landing on it at a club :oops:

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:49 am

:lol:

Rover Ryan
Ageing international

Post by Rover Ryan » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:09 pm

:lol:

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:29 pm

Joe wrote:Due to a backlog of appeals, my appeal won't be decided for around 3 months....

And rather than make another moaning bastard thread I'll just add a side note here:

I've broken my fucking leg playing football. (I could do about 4 different threads in this section regarding this; I'm stuck in cast for 5 weeks, miss the Chemical Brothers, in a cast and non-weight bearing on one leg for the whole of Christmas, have to cut my Christmas visit back home short in order to come back and have the cast removed on the 27th, that or wait an extra week and be disabled for NYE as well, I can't play football/sport until February, and finally there's going to be at least a few weeks for which I won't receive full sick-pay...........on the bright side I'm going to be paid in full for a while to read books, watch films and listen to music, and I should have no excuses in not aceing my exams in January, or June for that matter....but still, I'd rather it hadn't happened)
On both matters, I still don't believe it!!

Appeal got rejected. I'm appealing the decision to reject my appeal now.

And I had my cast off 3 days ago, re-xrayed, and told by consultant that it has 'healed nicely'. I asked if I could weight-bear again and walk without a crutch, or whether that would do damage. He replied by saying "quite the contrary, the sooner I walk on it the better it will get". Anyway, I've been walking long distances with just one crutch, and short distances without any. Its been painful. More painful than I expected. More worryingly, my ankle and foot has swollen like a bitch. I CAN walk without crutches, but I'm now worried I'm doing damage to something or another. The doctor never mentioned whether I should expect swelling or increasing pain; if anything he seemed to infer I shouldn't.

Phoned NHS direct this afternoon when the swelling became so much not to ignore, and despite its long-windedness, its been quite a good service. Currently waiting on a call from the on-call doctor. Beats waiting in A + E for 6 hours anyway. Although I suppose one of the two most probable things he/she will say is that I should go to A + E for an x-ray. The other being that its normal, and its merely the muscles/ligaments getting used to being used again after 6 weeks of inactivity. Looks like I'll be taking my crutch out with me on NYE, the first NYE I've ever had anything remotely interesting planned :x

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:43 pm

Hurray! :hyper:

Jim
Experienced international star

Post by Jim » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:50 pm

Oh man Gibbon I am literally crying with laughter right now! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:55 am

Of course, it wasn't as funny before I took the ad out... :yeahright:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:19 am

Joe wrote:
Joe wrote:Due to a backlog of appeals, my appeal won't be decided for around 3 months....

On both matters, I still don't believe it!!

Appeal got rejected. I'm appealing the decision to reject my appeal now.

And I had my cast off 3 days ago, re-xrayed, and told by consultant that it has 'healed nicely'. I asked if I could weight-bear again and walk without a crutch, or whether that would do damage. He replied by saying "quite the contrary, the sooner I walk on it the better it will get". Anyway, I've been walking long distances with just one crutch, and short distances without any. Its been painful. More painful than I expected. More worryingly, my ankle and foot has swollen like a bitch. I CAN walk without crutches, but I'm now worried I'm doing damage to something or another. The doctor never mentioned whether I should expect swelling or increasing pain; if anything he seemed to infer I shouldn't.

Phoned NHS direct this afternoon when the swelling became so much not to ignore, and despite its long-windedness, its been quite a good service. Currently waiting on a call from the on-call doctor. Beats waiting in A + E for 6 hours anyway. Although I suppose one of the two most probable things he/she will say is that I should go to A + E for an x-ray. The other being that its normal, and its merely the muscles/ligaments getting used to being used again after 6 weeks of inactivity. Looks like I'll be taking my crutch out with me on NYE, the first NYE I've ever had anything remotely interesting planned :x
The best bit is, JSA is lower than it should be because of the administrative costs of dealing with appeals about JSA.