Army of Wasps in Stockport.

Life's a bitch. Post your moans, groans and general annoyances here.
Rover Ryan
Ageing international

Army of Wasps in Stockport.

Post by Rover Ryan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:40 am

I was having a booze with a couple of pals today in the beautiful weather (goooood day for it) We had been in the town for a few pints by that time and we'd made our way and ventured into the Bakers Vault. Ales were purchased and I was just starting to sup my pint of Iron Maidens 'Trooper', when all of a sudden there was quite a commotion at and around the entrance. There was talk of swarms of Wasps outside which I took little notice at first. When literally the whole pub was congregated, congested under a fire exit sign and I was on my lonesome, seated with a potential free bar at my disposal I remembered that I wasn't at Dan Hooks Cellar Bar and beer should be paid for, and besides that what in the blue hell was going on outside.

I lightly forced my way through the pack to join the Barman (Luke I believe his name was) at the front doors and I could not believe my eyes.

Folk had not been exaggerating! The most distinctive thing about the beyond doorway were the thousands of wasps that occupied it. More outstanding than that were the hundreds of thousands of the army of wasps spread into the close distance that engulfed the town centre. It was a hell of a sight, (like something out of the twilight zone).

Me and Luke went out once the occupancy of the outer doorway was given up by the Wasp Army. As we stood mere feet away from our comfort zone we both noticed that there was no hostility or attacking from these usually known to be a pest insects.

We quite safely walked into the center of them all and took some photo's of this surreal occasion.

The Media turned up and they were filming some children pretending to be attacked by wasps which was heckled loudly by the entire beer garden to the point where the whole film crew were pissing their side's.

I've not seen a news story about this as of yet but there's talk on the stockport county forum http://members3.boardhost.com/marionsbo ... 39774.html

Savory
Promising manager

Re: Army of Wasps in Stockport.

Post by Savory » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:13 am

Buzzing story bro.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:08 am

That link goes to a forum where they're debating whether you'd rather be a wasp or a bee, no mention of your disaster movie experience.

I went up a level and the threads were all stuff like 'Cat Herding', 'Barm or Bap?', 'Pink or Brown?' and 'Most annoying Dog Bark'.

:savory:

And also - Hampshire Wasp Control say that Wasps don't swarm.

Which leads me to beelieve they were bees, (and I found this Youtube story about a swarm of bees decending on Stockport from 13 hours ago...)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzqT3DRemu4[/youtube]
Last edited by Gibbon on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:11 am

:lol:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:24 am

Dangerous stuff, that Iron Maiden's "Trooper"...

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:54 am

Thousands of wasps? I reckon there were 666, the number of the bees... :twisted:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:27 am

Gibbon wrote:That link goes to a forum where they're debating whether you'd rather be a wasp or a bee, no mention of your disaster movie experience.

I went up a level and the threads were all stuff like 'Cat Herding', 'Barm or Bap?', 'Pink or Brown?' and 'Most annoying Dog Bark'.
Ah, the real issues in life... although their bee knowledge is depressingly poor, I could hear the QI klaxon going off in my head as I read through that thread. :D It's only the honey bee that can die after stinging, and it depends on what it stings. It has a barbed stinger that will get stuck in, for example, a human, and so will gruesomely tear itself apart when it tries to fly away after stinging. Most other species of bees, including bumblebees, don't have barbed stingers and so can sting as often as they need to. :rtm:

Rover Ryan
Ageing international

Post by Rover Ryan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:04 pm

iamarover wrote:Thousands of wasps? I reckon there were 666, the number of the bees... :twisted:
That was the date yesterday also (if you add 2+0+1+3 together) ;)
Gibbon wrote:That link goes to a forum where they're debating whether you'd rather be a wasp or a bee, no mention of your disaster movie experience.

:savory:

And also - Hampshire Wasp Control say that Wasps don't swarm.

Which leads me to beelieve they were bees, (and I found this Youtube story about a swarm of bees decending on Stockport from 13 hours ago...)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzqT3DRemu4[/youtube]
Doesn't do it justice that video for the amount of bee's flying about. Good find though :)