Student Finance

Life's a bitch. Post your moans, groans and general annoyances here.
Post Reply
User avatar
-BARON-23-
Promising manager
Posts: 11072
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:45 am
Location: Blackpool - Home, Luton - University
Contact:

Student Finance

Post by -BARON-23- » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:54 pm

I know we have a "picking university" topic but this is for the useless cunts that call themselves Student Finance!

Seriously how fucking useless can Student Finance be! First they want proof of my mum's identity after having no problems with it the first two years. Next, they want a declaration letter which allows me to get my finance on time as you all know! They've sent it to my home address each year and last year even sent it to me twice yet they send it to my uni address for some unknown reason when they've never done that before meaning i now have to trundle through the maze of the website to print it all off! Oh and finally they only got and reduce my finance by just over £200 a term when NOTHING HAS CHANGED OVER THE LAST THREE GOD DAMN YEARS! Rant over :x :x :x :x :x

User avatar
theadore
Inexperienced manager
Posts: 9552
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:25 pm

Re: Student Finance

Post by theadore » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:29 am

Are they the new student loans company? They were useless years ago too.

Something I heard the other day... if you get a loan to cover higer rate fees (£7k ish), then get a £25k a year job on graduating with average salary progression through your career you will end up paying roughly £150k back... on the loan.

Basically - a mortgage or a degree.

:( :(

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14272
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Student Finance

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:10 am

You mean a mortgage for a degree, right?

Could be worse of course, you could have to pay the full cost of your education.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14272
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Student Finance

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:11 am

-BARON-23- wrote:I know we have a "picking university" topic but this is for the useless cunts that call themselves Student Finance!

Seriously how fucking useless can Student Finance be! First they want proof of my mum's identity after having no problems with it the first two years. Next, they want a declaration letter which allows me to get my finance on time as you all know! They've sent it to my home address each year and last year even sent it to me twice yet they send it to my uni address for some unknown reason when they've never done that before meaning i now have to trundle through the maze of the website to print it all off! Oh and finally they only got and reduce my finance by just over £200 a term when NOTHING HAS CHANGED OVER THE LAST THREE GOD DAMN YEARS! Rant over :x :x :x :x :x
Is this your final year? The amount provided is always less in the final year because you finish earlier.

User avatar
rob_of_the_robots
Valued squad member
Posts: 660
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Student Finance

Post by rob_of_the_robots » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:32 pm

theadore wrote:Something I heard the other day... if you get a loan to cover higer rate fees (£7k ish), then get a £25k a year job on graduating with average salary progression through your career you will end up paying roughly £150k back... on the loan.
That surely can't be right using this calculator it seems that if you were on a 3 year course with £9k a year fees (such as the one I'm about to start) then if you were earning £25k a year you would in total pay back £57,526 over 17 years. If (as expected) your salary were to rise over that time, you would end up having to pay back less as you would be paying it back at a faster rate.

The above is however reliant on the current low interest rate (student loan is interest rate plus 3%) and I also haven't factored in doing a longer degree or also taking out a maintenance loan as some students do.

User avatar
theadore
Inexperienced manager
Posts: 9552
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:25 pm

Re: Student Finance

Post by theadore » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:16 pm

Assuming that you don't need anything to live on. My loan 10 years ago was £3000 and was more than sufficient alongside a little parental support (about £80 a month)... although I still needed a part time job in the summer. The cost of living has gone up since then but I honestly don't know what would be considered right.

I'm sure there will be a few 'just get a job/savings' posts in a minute, but I assume most students would be looking for a maintenance allowance as well.

Cheers for the link though - I was going off a half remembered article from a while back.

User avatar
theadore
Inexperienced manager
Posts: 9552
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:25 pm

Re: Student Finance

Post by theadore » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:43 pm

mrblackbat wrote:You mean a mortgage for a degree, right?

Could be worse of course, you could have to pay the full cost of your education.
The full cost of my degree... 1 of 90ish students, 12 contact hours a week (15 to be generous and allow for marking, ad-hoc queries etc.)... 24 week term and a salary of say £35k per year.

Doesn't work out too much, about £70..? guess I would have to pay 1/29000th of the upkeep of the library as well, although the core materials were of course bought by myself.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14272
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Student Finance

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:33 am

theadore wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:You mean a mortgage for a degree, right?

Could be worse of course, you could have to pay the full cost of your education.
The full cost of my degree... 1 of 90ish students, 12 contact hours a week (15 to be generous and allow for marking, ad-hoc queries etc.)... 24 week term and a salary of say £35k per year.

Doesn't work out too much, about £70..? guess I would have to pay 1/29000th of the upkeep of the library as well, although the core materials were of course bought by myself.
There's a lot more than the lecturer's salary to pay for.... :doh:

User avatar
Dan
Unemployed ex-pro
Posts: 6588
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:08 am
Contact:

Re: Student Finance

Post by Dan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:50 am

mrblackbat wrote:
theadore wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:You mean a mortgage for a degree, right?

Could be worse of course, you could have to pay the full cost of your education.
The full cost of my degree... 1 of 90ish students, 12 contact hours a week (15 to be generous and allow for marking, ad-hoc queries etc.)... 24 week term and a salary of say £35k per year.

Doesn't work out too much, about £70..? guess I would have to pay 1/29000th of the upkeep of the library as well, although the core materials were of course bought by myself.
There's a lot more than the lecturer's salary to pay for.... :doh:
Yeah, like new £12m buildings.
(That sounds a lot but is worth about as much as one of Gareth Bale's toes :shock: )

User avatar
theadore
Inexperienced manager
Posts: 9552
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:25 pm

Re: Student Finance

Post by theadore » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:22 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
theadore wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:You mean a mortgage for a degree, right?

Could be worse of course, you could have to pay the full cost of your education.
The full cost of my degree... 1 of 90ish students, 12 contact hours a week (15 to be generous and allow for marking, ad-hoc queries etc.)... 24 week term and a salary of say £35k per year.

Doesn't work out too much, about £70..? guess I would have to pay 1/29000th of the upkeep of the library as well, although the core materials were of course bought by myself.
There's a lot more than the lecturer's salary to pay for.... :doh:
True... there are the lecture theatre lights and rent presumably. Might even concede that the lecturer would require an office on campus too, so that could well send my share of the cost north of £100 a year. (plus library costs as well)

Struggling to see what other value I got - I guess there were a few admin staff helping to arrange us all into our classes and the like.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14272
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Student Finance

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:42 pm

theadore wrote:
True... there are the lecture theatre lights and rent presumably. Might even concede that the lecturer would require an office on campus too, so that could well send my share of the cost north of £100 a year. (plus library costs as well)

Struggling to see what other value I got - I guess there were a few admin staff helping to arrange us all into our classes and the like.
Well you'd have all the standard departments required to run any business; payroll, facilities etc. Also, surely you'd want your lecturers to be up to date on their field of work and so additional course and research time for them. Then all the support staff they'd need to ensure that your work is reviewed/marked and so on along with someone to ensure that the lecturer is performing.

I think you're probably vastly under estimating the running costs of a large university building. For instance, I'm assuming that during the winter, they maintained heating within the building? And that at times you used the toilet when on site?

User avatar
-BARON-23-
Promising manager
Posts: 11072
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:45 am
Location: Blackpool - Home, Luton - University
Contact:

Re: Student Finance

Post by -BARON-23- » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:25 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
-BARON-23- wrote:I know we have a "picking university" topic but this is for the useless cunts that call themselves Student Finance!

Seriously how fucking useless can Student Finance be! First they want proof of my mum's identity after having no problems with it the first two years. Next, they want a declaration letter which allows me to get my finance on time as you all know! They've sent it to my home address each year and last year even sent it to me twice yet they send it to my uni address for some unknown reason when they've never done that before meaning i now have to trundle through the maze of the website to print it all off! Oh and finally they only got and reduce my finance by just over £200 a term when NOTHING HAS CHANGED OVER THE LAST THREE GOD DAMN YEARS! Rant over :x :x :x :x :x
Is this your final year? The amount provided is always less in the final year because you finish earlier.
Sorry i've only just seen this! Yeah it's my final year this time around so that does make sense to a degree. The annoying thing is they have taken money out of my first and second term budgets so i have less money for the same time period

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14272
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Student Finance

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:56 pm

That is a bit dumb.

User avatar
-BARON-23-
Promising manager
Posts: 11072
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:45 am
Location: Blackpool - Home, Luton - University
Contact:

Re: Student Finance

Post by -BARON-23- » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:18 pm

That's what i thought :lol:

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17424
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: Student Finance

Post by Gibbon » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:52 pm

:hyper: SPAM!

Post Reply