Fleas!!!

Life's a bitch. Post your moans, groans and general annoyances here.
Jim
Experienced international star

Fleas!!!

Post by Jim » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:28 pm

Goddamn pathetic little cretins!

My two cats both have them after the fiancée and I missed their treatment by a week or two. They're in the house, on the cats, in our clothes. Just mega, mega f***ed off. Mainly with myself for not being more proactive with their treatments.

Anyway, does anyone have any experience treating fleas (Jon, I know you have two cats yourself) that they could share and do me a good deed. I'm clueless and I don't know whether the dude at Pets @ Home was just trying to sell me a product or was being genuinely helpful, but after reading online reviews of the products he was discussing, I'm still not sure.

I need help!

Thanks in advance!

A very, very itchy and effed off, Jim

Gibbon
Promising manager

Re: Fleas!!!

Post by Gibbon » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:10 pm

Strangely enough, my two turned up with fleas a few weeks ago. We'd let their treatment lapse too. :-D

The stuff from pets at home (Bob Martin?) is usually pretty useless in my experience. Your best bet is going to your vet and buying a can of spray from there. Do your whole house - though particularly under chairs, along skirting boards (fleas like dark corners and crevices) and wherever your cats spend a lot of time sleeping.
Do it at a time just before you leave the house for a few hours, because it's horrible stuff.

Wash all their bedding, and your bedding if they sleep on it.

Also from the vets, get some more flea drops tp spot on the back of their necks. You generally have to treat them every couple of months.

While you're there get some worm tablets. Fleas give cats worms.

It's all a pain in the arse, and I sympathise completely, but it's best to be thorough.

The cold weather should kill off a lot of the buggers if it's any consolation.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:52 am

I recommend miaowing a lot and scratching them. If you're in luck they don't carry yersinia pestis.....

wrinks_89
Valued squad member

Post by wrinks_89 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:05 pm

We've recently had an epidemic with fleas in our house. I've bought and tried pretty much every product or home remedy I've heard of to no avail. Took both the cat and dog to the vets and got brovecto for both. Worked very well. £30 per treatment for each animal which can be costly but it lasts 3 months and is the most effective treatment we've had thus far.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:06 pm

Did you have to get one for you, as well? :D

wrinks_89
Valued squad member

Post by wrinks_89 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:12 am

At £30 a pop, I'll learn to live with mine!